Arts of the Red Harvest: Counter Assault - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Arts of the Red Harvest: Counter Assault

Hello again servants of the Star Gods!

This week we're going to be covering a major change from 5ed for Necrons. It's something that was an issue for our army since we came out but rules changes have exacerbated things. I'm speaking of course about close combat, and the changes to combat resolution.

Pre 5ed, the most common way for 'crons to deal with CC was a reactive tactic of porting OUT of close combat, VoD/Mono portals made it nearly impossible to assault crons. And those things that were dangerous enough to deserve the attention got caught up in scarab swarms.

I've learnt that scarabs can STILL act as a roadblock, however the KP they give and the lack of time they can stay in combat is disheartening at best. Scarabs went from being able to take on tactical squads for a game, to getting floored to heavy infantry instead.

SO in lieu of all this. How does everyone deal with CC? What Questions do you have about CC? And any things you want to try?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

First off, spyders are great at counter-assaulting.

Our best counter-assault is not getting assaulted. And that, is just about impossible to accomplish.

I think that the big nerfs against necrons, was because GW wanted to give the game a good flow. Make it less complicated and so on.

They made cc go faster, by nerfing fearlessness and making it easier to see who won an assault. And let's face it, fast things doesn't work for us. We are slow.

I try to shoot the closest enemy at all costs and if something reaches a squad of warriors, wethever it's assault termies or guardsmen, i know that my warriors are screwed.

I find it a bit stupid and i want it fixed. Getting hit by a demolisher shell, that's no problem. But those guardsmen are scary...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think visseking says it best, shoot the closest ones first. Personally I just rely on teleporting them out, it isn't the best way to fight but it is proven to work and it is funny to watch your opponents reaction.
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder. We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Teleporting your squads out of close combat doesn't work, simply because any decent squad will inflict enough wounds in ONE round of close combat to make the necrons run, and then be swept away.

However, Monoliths CAN be utilized to pull away any necron squads whom are near an enemy assault unit. This of course drastically reduces the necron squads attack potential (they never get a chance to rapid fire). However, this tactic could be used extremely well to keep any squads from being obliterated in CC. And as we all know, it only takes one tower to fall until the entire castle collapses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I mostly rely on teleporting all around and predicting the flow of battle. When I know someone is going to get charged, I make sure that they are just the normal necron warriors. More then once I have sacrifced them to keep my Immortals alive. I also play more agressive then before, sending my monoliths forward and then teleporting warriors to rapidfire something to death or even charge them in the case of some horde armies. I always try to kill the one unit that can sweep everything on a charge and normal cc units are only weakend, so when they come, they won't win combat that easily.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Personally I've taken to using Tomb Spyders for my daily anti-charge needs (heck I use them as assault spearheads) however scarabs DO still have their place, I caught a Hellfire Dreadnought for 3 combat rounds with 4 scarabs, that's a lascannon + missile shot that I didn't have to soak with my warriors. (next time I might take 3 scarabs with d-fields...) However when scarabs are insta-killed, remember that each dead base is 3 more wounds...ouch.

I feel really the best defense to being assaulted is to, as Visseking brought up, gun down those units in charge range. However this isn't always a good possibility. Movement is very, very important in 40k, on par with attack and defense capabilities. Sometimes it's best to just not ever let your opponent charge you (*grumbles about Grey Knights and errors in judgement*) Units with more mobility ar fare more effective at this. Immortals may move up first turn to engage in fire, however their range lets them hit most of the board, so they can back up and gun at the same time, something Warriors don't have the option of in most cases. Destroyers of course, are excellently fast and should be out of charge range of almost anything (save other jetbikes/jumppacks). Personally I've taken to using VoD to escape charge range instead of assault, leaving the unit in question available to surround and rapid fire in my next turn.

The "stand and shoot" vs. "get out of dodge" tactic I feel drastically depends on the opponent. Chaos Terminators? I'm moving. Ork boyz? I'm gonna shoot. It really is up to how able I am to kill off enough of that opponent to make it worth while. On occasion I've charged my warriors instead of receiving a charge (or sitting in front of meltaguns at rapid-fire range) and well...I'd have to say I feel shooting would have been more effective.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lately I've been using the, get ready for alliteration, Tomb Spyder Tag Team... Just get your tomb spyders to make one base of scarabs each and stop, that way majority rules make them both T6(sometimes more scarabs are better against hails of fire, but rarely) and with these two pairs of T6 units, keep them on the flanks of your warriors or immortals and use them to apply pressure to the enemy, the promise of a dual MC assault. If your units can get away from the enemies pursuing, via chronometron or whatever, they shouldn't have a problem regrouping, so get the tomb spyders to buy them time, move the spyders up to assault as the unit closes in and back your warriors off. If you're in a fight, warriors versus someone, get those tomb spyders to jump in on it, they start shredding people and that unit now cannot pursue if they do beat the warriors. Only problem is in assuming that your warriors don't get swept away the first round of combat. You can, instead place the tombspyders up front to absorb a charge protecting the weaker necronjs behind them. It's a tricky situation, one that VOD and monolith portals help dramatically if you can survive that first hectic round of combat...

But i agree that anticipation is one of our best defenses, a dedicated assault unit like tomb spyders there as bodyguards to help buy our warriors time to retreat or get portalled. Fast assault units gave me a whole whack of trouble the other day though, forcing my remaining 6 immortals and lord to flee off the board, i used the tomb spyders to tie the assault squad up, my immortals successfully escaped via chronometron and luck, but a rhino tank shocking prevented any regrouping once we'd cleared away from the enemies >.<.....

+ Reply to Thread