Outflanking stealers... Easy KP? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Outflanking stealers... Easy KP?

Okay, so for a long time I've thought about a stealer shock army as the idea of a bunch of super-killers suddenly appearing and ripping my enemy to pieces with diamond-hard claws is obviously very appealing =P. However, I've been having some trouble with outflanking stealers. The first time I used them, they were very effective, chewing through marine squad after marine squad. However, in subsequent games, when I take them, my opponent deploys just over 18" from either board edge and just rips them to pieces with shooting before they can reach him. I'm not sure how to counter this. What do you guys suggest?

Note: We play on a 4" by 6" board.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    77 (x1)

Maybe a more balanced approach is needed. Less outflank units in favor of blast weapons. If the enemy bunches in the middle you can throw a bunch of blasts and do a lot of damage.

It only takes one game of crazy outflanking ripping stuff to pieces before that player takes measures to ensure that never happens again. If your army is a one trick pony and your opponent has ways to counter that tactic you will probably fail. Its like showing up to a game with only rocks and your opponent has an ample supply of paper.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Sorry, I should've clarified. I only used one unit of stealers. The rest of my forces was a balanced list.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You do have to look at it like sacrificing KPs for board control. Nothing is scarier to an opponent than knowing a brood of 'Stealers and a Broodlord with retinue are going to do a pincer move. This bunches them up in the middle where you can have a field day with Dakka MCs and/or Deathspitter Warriors. It is intimidating for them, so just suck it up, take the bolter shots, and keep them corralled into your central firing lane!
    Human beings, while exceptional in the ability to learn from the mistakes of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

That is exactly it. You have no way of countering this. It is just the way it rolls.
    The tactic works about once. After that you have to start to work out if the points for the outflankers are worth the corralling effect that it has on the enemy.

From this point you can decided if it is indeed worth it for hte points (with the occasional other player forgetting and you getting the jump on them) or perhaps it is not and so you cease to take them, giving the enemy all their baord back.

Another thing to take into account is how they perform in other missions. Perhaps they aren't useful in KP missions but are great for seize ground (objectives near table edges) or cap and control. Perhaps the waste of points in 1 mission is worth it in the other two?
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

156 (x3)

Yeah, in KP missions the outflank isn't that great. In VP conditions though, they can rock. Nothing better than dropping a unit onto an objective. One thing to remember in either scenario, use cover! Even outflanking stealers can survive with 4+ cover-save. (Or out of line of sight.)

Use them as a tool. Think less of killing and more of making your opponent deploy/move to give you an advantage. Genestealers are to be feared. However if your opponent is spending so much time worrying about them, they forget about the rest of your army.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You dont have to outflank when you take scuttlers. You could simply have it for the scout move rule.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

147 (x5)

Indeed, an army with maybe three stealer squads, and a broodlord with retinue, then five fexes with barbed stranglers could make a mess of people. No one would want to go near the board edges, but they wouldn't want to bunch up either. Deploy those fexes in cover and let rip.

Just a suggestion.
    omgitsduane:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Archnomad
    Well I picked up my first model when I was 7.

I misunderstood that... ALOT

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

+ Reply to Thread