Marines. What is the best way to make them dead? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Marines. What is the best way to make them dead?

Well since I have finally found a fellow player in my town I can actually sit down for a game or two every week.

He plays Marines (and from what he tells me their furry Space Wolf Brethren) so my question is this. How do I make his Marines dead? We will probably play alot of 1k games.

I know he runs at least 2 Dreads...but my Railhead made them die last game with little problem.

He runs 2 Tac Squads (one is a 5 man, the other is a 10 man).

He has a termie squad that he plans on busting out this saturday.

He has a captain with retinue and a bunch of power weapons (3 PWs plus a Relic Blade on a 5 man squad...YIPES!) He ran them inside a rhino last game.

So what are the best strats and (mainly) Suit builds at making marines die horribly?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm. If the Captain and his HQ are just in power armour then Sniper drones will annoy the hell out of him, losing expensive moddels to an unit of drones makes peoples faces drop. .

A few Crisis Suits with Plasma Weapons will help with the Terminators, or masses pulse rifle fire.

For the transports I'd say a Monat with missile pods, or even divert your Railhead onto it for a turn.

Same for the Tac marines, Pulse rifle them at range, or divert the sniper drones once you've taken down his HQ.

[Edit]

After reading up on my SM Codex, they're all in Artificer Armour (Ouch). So scrap the Sniper drones. You're best bet is the Plasma Rifled Crisis Teams. Or the masses of ST5 fire from Pulse Rifles or Burst Cannons.
    Last edited by Basskin; May 26th, 2009 at 00:32.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks I do not have any Sniper drones anyways (Im new, my lists are small and sad like). *Looks at Bank Statement* Yeah...More Crisis suits it is (I only have 3 /cry)

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Basskin View Post
    After reading up on my SM Codex, they're all in Artificer Armour (Ouch). So scrap the Sniper drones. You're best bet is the Plasma Rifled Crisis Teams. Or the masses of ST5 fire from Pulse Rifles or Burst Cannons.
    What? Tactical marines don't have artificer armour. Or were you talking about the command squad? Sniper drones will still work on the tac marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he was talking about the command squad. honestly the tac marines were a minor pain. They did not want to die but they were far from invincible. The termies he may be bringing are what scare the bejeebus outta me.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crisis suits with plasma rifles are pretty effective for dealing with terminators. Take some of those with a unit of pathfinders with rail rifles. Have the markerlight pathfinders light up the terminators and the rail pathfinders pick off some marines.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No pathfinders.

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Try the Helios variation on your XV8s. (PR & Fusion with multi) That’ll kill termies, but don’t be surprised when the XV8s get killed on the following turn.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidlyObeseMonkey View Post
    What? Tactical marines don't have artificer armour. Or were you talking about the command squad? Sniper drones will still work on the tac marines.
    To have Relic blades it has to be an Honour Guard squad. Which means they do all have Artificer armour. :s

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I would suggest putting down the rhino first turn. Once it's out of play those power weapons and relic blade have to make the long trek across the board. Massed fire when you get the range and time will whittle em down nicely.

Termies can be a pain but throw ap1 shots at them and make them take the 5+ save. If you use crisis suits, you can go fusion/plasma. They will be excellent against tac marines and will help with termies. Although, with termie and artificer 2+, you may want to consider mpods over plasma. A bit cheaper but just as effective considering the 2+ save and you can use them to pop his rhinos and dreads.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast