Librarium Online Forums banner

New Guy - Needs Help

717 views 14 replies 8 participants last post by  Siguy 
#1 ·
Hey all, im new to these forums and to the Eldar. I've been up to quite a bit of buying lately and ive amased a good 750 points (give or take 20 pts) which includes

HQ
1 Autarch - Mandiblasters, Warp Jump Generator, Fusion Gun, Scorpion Chainsword

Elites
6 Scorpions - Exarch, Scorpions Claw, Stalker

Troops
10 Guardians - Starcannon

10 DA's - Exarch, Bladestorm, Defend, Power weapon + Shimmershield

5 Rangers - Pathfinders

Heavy Support
1 War Walker - SC + SL

I now need to buy my next unit, and i dont have a clue what it should be! I like the look of Fire Dragons to take down vehicles, but i also fancy a Wave Serpent!
I want to amass an army that makes good use of The Eldar's versatility whilst maintaining an army usefull at taking down 3+ armour save Marines, Necrons as these are my common enemy

I also need a cunning strategy for using this army to its full effectiveness.

How should i use my dire avengers/guardians/autarch/scorpions

If someone could fill in what ive got to 1000 points, removing any units you deem unnecesary.

Thanks alot,

The New Guy

See less See more
#2 ·
Wave serpent. Hands down. The next unit i would get after that would be fire dragons. Also, throwing the warp generator on the autarch if you're only running him with scorpions is pretty superfluous, cause to run him alone if to sign a death warrant for him, and with the scorpions he doesn't get to use the warp generator.

#3 ·
Ya i'd say a wave serpent and then i'd get 1 or 2 more war walkers. One Walker on it's own just isn't that useful and will go down easy but 3 of them all with SL can put out a huge number of shots on the cheap that even with there low BS skill can be very painful. After that fire dragons would be a good investment used with a wave serpent (i'd get a 2nd one and use the DA in the other) there phoenix lord Fuegan is also damn good but i'd leave getting him until you've filled out the rest of the army. For dealing with SM and necrons i think a fire prism or 2, there focused blast in AP 2 which is very useful and if you have 2 and link fire them it's one of the few ways to really put a dent in a monolith.

#5 ·
I would personally go for some hawks their Haywire Grenades make most vechiles piontless after one assault their use in conjunction with the master strategist autarch rule and the sheer number of shots they lob out. Mind your lack of a farseer might mean that theres no doom. Hell squad of hawks and a doom/guide seer.

#6 ·
I have to agree with FartsMcGee about the Fire Dragons and Wave Serpent, though make sure if you do that then you've got a few other vehicles to distract the Space Marines from directing all their lascannon shots at the one Wave Serpent. I would usually recommend Banshees but since you've got Scorpions, I wouldn't bother.

I take 3 Wave Serpents and 2 Vypers to prevent this from happening - the enemy has to choose between the Vypers cutting them up with the Brightlances and Starcannons or the Serpents unloading death into their face - they only have a fixed number of shots and if you have enough vehicles you can force them into corners.

#7 ·
Thanks, seems that a wave serpent is the best option next. Crammed with some Fire Dragons/DA's

My Scorpions always seem to get shot to pieces even before i can get them into combat, i try and keep them in cover but this doesnt always work. Infiltrating is ok, but because they are so damned slow it take 2 turns to get to the enemy, and that is usualy 2 turns of 20 bolter shots and 9 heavy bolter shots! What is the best way of getting them into combat quickly and without casualty.

The same applies for my guardian, they cant get even close to the enemy without being blown apart, their lowly 12" range is useless and im considering not using them at all, what do you guys think?

Also, as stated above my autarch is useless by himself and cant utilise his warp jump generator when with my scorpions. I sometimes use him to charge into the enemy allowing my scorpions to get into combat without being shot at much, but he cant handle a squad of marines by himself, they rarely fail their saves! How else can i utilize his abilities?

Should i also get a farseer, if so what Pshycic powers/wargear do you recommend?

Thnx again

Olderado

#9 ·
The farseer has some pretty usefull abilities in his array! I like the idea of Guide and Doom, i can use guide on my Dire avengers and doom on the squad they target. Combined with bladestorm this will cause alot of havok! I have to get a Farseer! But i only like one of the modles, and thats the one you get in the box with the warlocks and i dont want warlocks! :freaked-out:

Ah well!

#10 · (Edited)
#11 ·
You are worried about getting in quick and you have an Autarch with a warp generator? .... I've always had a preference for the Warp Spiders. I'd get the them next then you can combine them together for a nice quick heavy attack, then a Wave serpent to get your scorpions in close, meanwhile your Avengers can come up with their Bladestorm.

Other units, I like to use against the Necrons are:
Farseer and counsil
Rangers
Wraithlords
Wraithguard
Howling Banshees
...more Dire Avengers - their pretty fantastic for their price :)
Heavy Weapons platform is good too

DarkWolf

#12 ·
Niraco: thats a beautiful looking model, how much did that cost for the paint job?

Dark Wolf: Not afraid to get in too quick, the other way round. Afraid i dont get in quick enough! I considered warp spiders, damn nice lookig models and can cause alot of damage, however cos their weapons have no AP makes them sorta useless against marines. Also their points cost, and i have the same problem with all fast units, they get blown to pieces the quickest cos they are first in range!

Something worth considering though, might have to invest in a squad later on!

#13 ·
Understand what you're saying ....Keep them behind cover for a turn (with anywhere from 18" - using run - and possibly more, they can get into some pretty decent positions). There's no reason, they have to be out in the open to get cut down before they're ready to engage.

My buddy plays the Necrons ... with lots of Destroyers and usually a pack of 10 scarabs (both nasty fast attackers) ..... I usually divert his attention with a couple of Wraithlords, then the Warp Spiders work great against them. They're really good for getting into his weaker, back defences. Don't forget, Necrons leave battle (faise out sp?) when they're down to the last 25% of their troops.
Give the exarch a Spinneret Riffle and Powerblades, and back them up by a Psyker using Doom and Fortune....... They can cause some serious damage.

DarkWolf

#14 ·
I think i will try that, keep them in cover for a turn get the opponent firing all cylinders at the rest of my army and attack the weaker units at the back of his army (if there is such a unit in a space marine army!) I never really use cover to my advantage anymore, instead charge out in the open, will have to begin using cover more!

Dont forget Warp Spiders can move 2D6 in the assult phase, however i have lost alot of models to rolling doubles! It hurts alot to roll snake eyes with the warp spiders!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.