Static List Ideas? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Static List Ideas?

I've been looking for awhile now and I cant seem to find more than 2 Static Tau lists. Can I get some help? Also what are the pro's and con's of a Static Tau Army? Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    61 (x1)

Having fought a couple of static tau lists, I gotta say that the reason there are only 2 or so good builds for em is that they are tough to get to work very well. I'm not a tau player, but against the tau lists I've fought, its too easy to get into CC. It doesn't take very much for me to drop in and wreck the marker light guys or even the HQ. The pro's to a list like that is you can shoot the lights out of anything with all of those higher power low AP shots. Sadly you'll probably only get a couple of shots with em before I close in with my waveserpents.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Static lists for me aren't as much fun to play, but here are some general ideas that work reasonably well.

Load up on FW's and Kroot. You are gonna want to be able to bring as many guns to bear as you can, so I would probably max out the troops section on the force org chart with three units of each of these. (Remember that Kroot with Hounds are actually pretty handy in CC and the Kroot rifle is a really nice shooting weapon too)

Take some broadsides, but don't overload your list with them. More than 4 and you are probably throwing too many points into that part of your list.

You are going to want to get LOADS of markerlights into your list. Consider all of the many possibilities, then ignore the fact the pathfinders must take a fish and take some of them anyway.

Your XV8's will still be invaluable to you for bringing down transports.....take Missile pods on as many as you can.

As far as list building goes......that's pretty much the end of it when it comes to static lists.
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

IMHO, static Tau gunlines simply don't work. Even before the new codex, the IG did that job a helluva lot more effectively. And now they're doubly good at it. You shouldn't even attempt to compete with them at that game.

To make any gunline army effective, you have to have an overwhelming amount of firepower AND the ability to slow down, intercept, or otherwise tarpit fast/assault-oriented enemy units with sacrificial units.

The Tau only have one unit that we can reasonably "sacrifice" with any regularity: Kroot. But taking Kroot necessarily weakens your gunline! Fire warriors are already outrageously expensive for static gunline work. Yeah, sure the pulse rifle's a great weapon, but when the vast majority of the enemy you face will likely be eligible for 4+ cover -- if not 4+ or better armour as well -- then it doesn't look so hot. Give me one pot of points to work with, and I'll take the amount of massed lasgun fire I can buy over the piddly amount of pulse rifle fire I can buy every time.

No Tau army has the points available to simply outshoot an enemy.

This is key because if you can't do that, then you have to at least be able to effectively beat at least mediocre combat units down so you can keep shooting as quickly as possible. Tau can't even beat down pathetic combat units (e.g., basic guardsmen, scarab swarms, etc.).

The only effective Tau armies are mobile, if not fully mechanized. Tau armies win games by being able to focus their potency on small portions of the enemy, one small portion at a time, zipping around the battlefield at arm's length the whole time. Tau gunlines are either shot off the table, assaulted off the table, or a little of both. Don't even make the attempt.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

My suggestion for a static Tau list is not to build or use one. Make a mobile list instead.

If you really want to play a gunline army, go with Imperial Guard.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ZenGamer View Post
    My suggestion for a static Tau list is not to build or use one. Make a mobile list instead.

If you really want to play a gunline army, go with Imperial Guard.
    When are people going to get it into their heads that Tau are a mobile fire power army, every single part of the Tau list (apart from Sniper Drones) screams mobile infantry based army.
    In fact Tau are a medium range (not long range as per IG) mobile fire power army. Most of the Tau weaponry is ranged between 24 and 48 inches with only the Railgun, Ion and Seeker with true long range. Like number6 said Tau are also not a massed fire power army. Tau are a precision application fire power army.

Most lists will have 2 to 3 Fire Warrior units and maybe 1 or 2 Kroot units, this averages around about 50 troops, IG can take that many in one platoon and can take a hell of a lot of long ranged weaponry just in that one platoon.
    Tau Pulse Rifles are good for two reasons SR5 and Rapid fire, the range is a bonus. The volume of fire at rapid fire range with ML help is what makes the FW squad effective not the 30" range.

Standing still with Tau is a recipe for disaster, the other strength of mobility is the avoidance of damage. FW in Devilfish are safer, Hammerheads are safer at distance, Stealth's are safer at distance so their stealth field can kick in, XV8's are safer at distance behind cover. Mobility gives the ability to get beyond the range of weapons and no shots = good.

The other major problem with static armies is missions, most missions rely on mobility. Objectives need taking or contesting and standing still does tend to make that quite difficult. Kill points can work for static but even then if you play a mobile list the opponent is going to use that mobility to avoid damage so you have to either move or try to get the opponent to come to you. If you have to move you are going to be doing it with a less then optimised army.

Mobility, Fire power and Markerlights = Tau success.

Standing still, Fire power and marker lights = A lot less success and a lot more dead Tau.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; May 29th, 2009 at 00:29.

+ Reply to Thread