New Player Seeking Help - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New Player Seeking Help

'Ey der! Im just starting off with 'da boyz. I was a player of Warhammer Fantasy for a long time, but stopped a few years back. Now a buddy and me have gotten into Assault on Black Reach and being a fan of swarm armies..I picked 'da orkz. But I have a few questions that are probably going to sound terribly newbish.

1. I have read a lot on this forum for army lists and such, trying to get a feel of where I want to go with my army past the box. I keep reading boyz being listed as shootahs or sluggahs. Are there actually different MODELS or do you just delegate a squad as shootahs or sluggahs? As far as I can tell the only diff. is that shootah squads have two handed 'biggah guns'..such as big shootahs. Or am I incorrect?

2. I love the idea of a Ork Warboss on a Bike. Is that an actual model as well or is that a unit only created through conversion? If so I'm sure it is a rather complicated to do..and will have to stick with my normal Warboss from the box..which is actually a VERY nice Warboss. I've noticed that you can buy one from Forgeworld, but that is the only place I've seen with one.

3. Lastly, ideas on where to go from here? I know you all will say more boyz..and I agree! I'll hopefully be picking up more boyz soon. I like the idea of a close-range army since that seems to be what the orks are best at. I'm thinking at least another 30 man group of sluggahs and perhaps some lootahs to back them up with cover fire? And I know if Im going to have nobz with my boyz Im going to want some PKs on them. Any simple way to convert them? Or just buy some bits and hack em up to have the PKs? I figured that would be necessary since a lot of people play wysiwyg..

Any ideas or help are greatly appreciated. I am a big fan of the green and want to get started off with some ideas for the future. Sitting with the Black Reach box set is great, but it leaves a lot to be desired with the great opportunities and ventures the orkz offer.

Thanks!

Last edited by GlowingBall; May 29th, 2009 at 08:34.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    125 (x3)

1) there are different models they have 2 handed longer guns but not as big as big shootas suprisingly, best to put your big shootas from AoBR into these groups.
    what i would do next is grab a battleforce or two, you will be able to choose sluggas or shootas for your boyz then. also it seems by the next point you want a biker boss, and the battleforces come with some bikers for him to ride with and therefore not die. also comes with a truck which means that your guys will be able to get into the krump quicker, which as you said is the important destination

2) biker bosses arent that hard to convert, i'm rubbish at converting and i still managed a sweet looking one. here are a selection of links i got ideas from, basically chop up one of the defkoptas you got and stick stuff on it, dont worry if it doesnt look as amazing as some of these orks are all about looking crappy

good finish but no work in progress
    good explaination of how to chop it up, but makes a trike which i dont like as much as one above

3) power klaws are dead easy:

a) remember that battleforce i told you to buy, there are 6 in there
    b) scratch build is a good idea here is linkage

power klaw

anything knocked together is good though, i used a motorised axe from AoBR and 2 sluggas for the main part, all good, just remember to put loads of rivets over it

oh and welcome to the waaaaagh

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

The basics

Hello, and welcome to the Orks! Have you checked out this thread:

http://www.librarium-online.com/foru...00-basics.html

If not, then I'd definitely check it out. A few people, including myself, put it together as a basic guide for new Ork players.

redemptionlife is right on all counts

The only thing I can add is that you'll ultimately have to decide if you're going more for a horde or speed freaks list. If you want bikes, then you should probably go speed freaks. In either case, a big mek w/KFF always helps, and the best way to build an army is through conversion. You'll get a lot more for your money, and it's a lot of fun! I'd look on ebay for large lots of bits to help you get started.

In any case, good luck!
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If your willingly to spend a bunch of money on a single warbike warboss, you can go to Forge world. I personaly realy like him. Making one of your own is also a viable options, as for Orks it so simple to make something. As long as it looks orky, everything goes ^^

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for all the help!

Wow thanks to everyone for so much help so far! I'm going to have to wait on a Battleforce for at least my next paycheck...the $90 is going to be a rather big spend..but the boyz I get in there are def. worth it.

Im not sure if I want to go with a green tide thing of Orkz or a Speed Freakz. Honestly green tide sits better with me...so I will. prob stick with the Bad Moon orkz...even if the warboss on a bike makes me giggle with glee.

I guess I will leave that to a secondary ork army! Haha!

So ...I guess my next step is a Battleforce then? I get a Trukk (great plus), the models I need to make my shootah group of 20...and 6 bits for powerklawz.

When it is all done I guess Im looking at the following -

- The five nobz I have converted to having PKs so they can get into some good krumpin.
    - The Trukk to tote my 20 sluggahs (with one of the Nobs with PK and BP)
    - The 20 shootahs, not sure if they need a Nob at all...
    - Warboss with PK

Im figuring another Trukk to tote my Nobz and WB around would be after..and then a Big Mek with KF so my boyz can survive a bit longer.

Dunno if upgrading to Mega Nobz is worth it....

Last question..sorry if these posts are so long and have so much rambling. Just excited to learn all I can....

Where the heck do I get some boss poles at for my Nobz? Do those come in any of the box packs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Too much

I wouldn't pay retail for bosspoles, considering that they're literally just a length of plastic. I'd just use a piece of sprue. Snip it off, glue it to one of the Ork's backs, and put some sort of Ork glyph or bit on it. They really don't describe what a bosspole looks like, so it really can be anything.

If you want something 'official', you could always look on ebay for either bosspoles or standard bearer arms from fantasy Orc sets. That'd be a lot better than buying a set simply for the bosspole.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you're going Bad Moons, there is no reason the boss can't be on a bike - the fanciest bike der ever waz.

But yah, you will need a mob to keep him safe. So start w/ your boss and his nobs in the trukk, then as your army grows, your boss gets his bike. I am dying to get my hands on the new Battlewagon... but my boss is only leading 500pts of boys right now... even the boss has got a earn his wheels.
    Hosea 1:11 - Great will be the day of Jezreel.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bosspoles do not have to be actual "poles" they are just status symbols. You could even use skulls from armies you play often. My Nob carries around 2 IG heads.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

All other points have been covered already, so I'll provide more details..

First, I'd just like to say, Welcome to the WAAAAGH!

Also first, I'd like to say, every mob that has the option of taking a PK Nob, must take at least one! It's da law!

Now that that's out of the way.. I always like to impose my own favorites onto others ^-^ So I'd like to suggest trying out Shoota Boyz first, before deciding to add more Sluggas to your Waaagh! They're an absolutely solid unit. Cheap as hell too! They may be about as accurate as an army of blind zombies, but where they may be left wanting, they quickly make up for by pure volume of fire. They throw so many shots at an opponent, that quite a few are bound to hit, and when you average this out across a game Shootas should dish out more wounds than Sluggas; Sluggas have to be in combat to be effective, whereas Shootas can still pop off shots while on the way. Not to mention, they're still Orks, so they're still dead stompy in combat, even though they don't benefit from the bonus pistol/ccw attack like Sluggas do.

Nobz on the other hand.. are all about the close combat (except for Nob Bikers, because Twin-linked Dakka Guns make for one of the shootiest weapons in the army) I wouldn't go overboard with Power Klaws though, I've never needed more than two, sometimes three, in a unit to be effective -- five is just over kill. Power Klaws always attack on Initiative 1, and unlike other Orks, Nobz actually have a chance to hit on initiative with most other armies if they get the charge.. This becomes very important with smaller units, because every model you slay before they get to attack you is.. well.. one less model to worry about attacking you. Five Nobz with five PKs are garunteed to suffer the full brunt of the opponent's attacks before finally getting their own in. And one final point to make, Nobz are, IMHO, one of the best units in our Codex to take advantage of 5e wound allocation rules. Consider this:

Nobz Mob ( 220 Points )
    +5x Nobz
    +3x PKs and Shootas, +1x Slugga and Choppa, Pain Boy
    +2x Combi-Skorchas, Boss Pole

You equip one PK Nob with the Boss Pole and a Kombi-Skorcha, and another PK Nob with the other Kombi-Skorcha. Now every model in the unit has unique wargear. This allows you to pick and choose exactly which model takes which wound. It's going to take quite a bit to knock this mob out of the fight ^-^

And finally.. Just a point to be made.. You suggested a Trukk to carry your 20 Sluggas around in... Trukks have a transport capacity of 12, so if you want to carry all 20 of them, you'll need a Battle Wagon. Which is awesome! Battle Wagon w/ Deff Rolla + Disembarking / Charging Boyz = AMAZING! Ahem, sorry, those suckers get me a little excited

Oh, and one more "and finally" I'm not sure what all you have read so far, but I would also suggest investing in a Big Mek with a Kustom Force Field. You don't want to give him a PK or Burna, or anything fancy like that, just keep him hidden amongst your Boyz, and he'll quickly earn his points back with all the 'eads he saves along the trip!
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the help so far. Heading up to Games Workshop tomm. to try out my first few battles. I have all my guys primed ..but only 4 boyz painted so far. >< Those lil' guys take a LOONNNGG time to paint and there are so many of them. But I will persevere and get them all done....someday!

+ Reply to Thread