Great gurgling geno-organs! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great gurgling geno-organs!

Having sold off the older models from a big lot that I bought a while back, I'm looking to bring some new, sweet, screeching insect-osaurs into the fold. Here's what I'm holding currently:

HQ
    1x Broodlord
    6x Tyranid Warriors

Troops
    21x Genestealers
    8x Termagants
    8x Hormagaunts + 1x Hive Node
    8x Spinegaunts
    2x Ripper Bases

Fast Attack
    6x Gargoyles

Heavy Support
    1x Carnifex

Naturally, I'll be picking up a Hive Tyrant! I've been thinking about some more gaunts and another Carnifex; I've also perused that other thread on the front page already, and it's got me considering a Zoanthrope or two as well.

My main army is Eldar, and I'm putting this Hive Fleet together because my good friend /primary opponent is moving away at the end of the summer - owning two armies allows me to play with my friends that like WH40K but don't have their own armies yet, and also makes it easier to introduce new players to the game. (Furthermore, Tyranids are frightening, gross, and totally awesome.) I'd like to build a Tyranid army that's primarily a fun, even match-up against Eldar... not geared to decimate them. Being able to stomp local Daemon and Necron* armies a plus.

I'm trying to limit this purchase to $140. What do you think?

*Man, I fscking hate Necrons.

"A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." -- Oscar Wilde

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

you sure thats 4th ed codex? cause i am sure that the hive nodes were disbanded in 4th. you may be holding a 3rd ed =P
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ha! Clearly, one of us has not read the Tyranid codex. No, they're all 4th ed models except for possibly a handful of Gaunts... one of which has a Tyranid Warrior noggin glued to it. He probably gets made fun of by all the other gaunts in his brood.
    "A little sincerity is a dangerous thing, and a great deal of it is absolutely fatal." -- Oscar Wilde

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    101 (x2)

Hurrah! another addition to the force that will eventually DEVOUR ALL ... ahem sorry that kind of slipped out......

your list looks good, should be fun to play with (and against) and is well balenced. one problem is that if your planning on only spending $140 then your going to have to Ebuy* most of it (especially the gargoyles because they are horrifically expensive!).

Im currently re doing my nid army as well, its mainly going to be a Big Bug army with some smaller gribbly things thrown in here and there.

HQ
    Hive tyrant x2

ELITES
    Carnifex x3

TROOPS
    Full strength gaunts squad x2
    Full strength Homogaunts squad x2
    Ripper swarms

FAST ATTACK
    Squad of 3 Lictors x1
    Squad of 6 Raveners x2

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Carnifex x3

Good luck, and may much biomass be yours

Spladge P

* See what I did there?
    Sometimes the best defense is a good offense... Wait, what?

THE GAME

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^I see wut u did there^

im fairly new to Tyranids, ive only played one small game with my friends army. i was quickly drawn to 'nids by the 'mindless devourer/cold and merciless alien' dealy they have going for them.

I think that looking into the battleforce box on the GW site now would be a good investment, if you are looking to add some gaunt bulk to your list. I think its decently priced for what you get, and a good starter and/or booster for any nid player. the fex, warriors and stealers are the beefy units in the set, it does lack the Hive Tyrant and Zoanthropes though.
    Last edited by Neeko; May 29th, 2009 at 23:45.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by ArsLoqui View Post
    Ha! Clearly, one of us has not read the Tyranid codex. No, they're all 4th ed models except for possibly a handful of Gaunts... one of which has a Tyranid Warrior noggin glued to it. He probably gets made fun of by all the other gaunts in his brood.
    Some of my Gaunts date back to those times. They have Hive node heads too. You have not got enough Gargoyles. Your Gargoyle brood needs at least eight models and your brood only has six.

purplespladge You have your Lictors in fast attack, Lictors are an elite choice, not fast attack.

You could try to add some Spore mines to your swarm. You can get them at mail order without the pricey biovores. The Spore mines can be handy especially the bio acid ones. They are handy because they are cheap and you can get them to use up some spare points. They will also help to fill up your nearly empty fast attack.
    Last edited by Leech; May 29th, 2009 at 23:43.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

As leech said, you're going to need a few more gargoyles in order to make that a usable brood. However, for your budget... A Hive Tyrant, a carnifex, and two zoanthropes come in at $130. I would strongly suggest adding another Gaunt box though. You need more bodies than you currently have in order to make a balanced list, which is what I assume you are shooting for. If you're trying to save money, you might want to try The War Store. They have good savings and you might even be able to squeeze the gaunt box in under $140.

Anyway, that should get you started. Good hunting!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks, y'all. I did a little window shopping over at The War Store:

1x Hive Tyrant ($36)
    1x Carnifex ($36)
    16x Gaunts ($2
    2x Gargoyles ($12)
    2x Zoanthropes ($32)
    Total: $144.00
    Shipping: $5.95

I'm scanning Kijiji now to see if I can find a better lot, but that looks pretty good, eh?

+ Reply to Thread