DE Shadow (WIP) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DE Shadow (WIP)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DE Shadow (WIP)

A while back someone, who's name I've forgotten, made a post asking about the Shadow variant for the raider. I think there was a link to a picture of it, but I could be wrong. Anyways once I heard about it I was interested in building it, and scoured the internet looking for the instructions on how to build it, and the in game stats for it. Unfortunately I never did find the stats, but a kind poster on DakkaDakka was able to provide me with the instructions on how to build it.

I was told that the instructions were pretty poor, and that it would be difficult to build it. I though to myself how hard could it possibly be? Boy was I surprised when I got the instructions. They're almost useless, extremely vague, and a few times I thought that they were referring to parts that aren't in the vehicle kits anymore. But despite all that I trudged forward determined to build the near mythical Shadow.

The article in the WD by Tony Cottrell claims that "The Shadow is not difficult to make." I disagree since it was a huge pain to make. I guess for an expert or even above average modeler that does lots of conversions it wouldn't be hard, but this was my first real conversion and it was difficult. Lots of peices don't really fir together and green stuff is needed. Since this is my first conversion a lot of my cuts aren't very good as I'm sure you'll see in the pictures a few parts are uneven, but it's still a work in progress and I'll try to fix those errors as best I can.

So at long last the pictures.

This is the bottom of the Falcon Grav tank. You need to cut the pointy parts off, which was a huge pita. In the end I wasn't able to cut them off in the same way so one of the poles is longer then the other.

This is two DE raider hulls glued together. You need to cut the shields and driver chair out. The shields wern't too hard but the driver was kinda difficult for me.

This is just one set of the shields glued together in a different way. On the Shadow this is the front shield armor.

Same shield armor as before with a tube attached. You need that tube to go across most of the bottom length of the craft. If I could go back I'd get a wider tube since this was a little to narrow.

This is the main body and front attached together. As you can see the tube is used to attach the front to the body. The side platforms of a Raider and turned upside down and glued to the side of the tube.

Exact same as above, but different angle. You can see the GS I used to make it possible to attach the back of the main body to the rest of it. I spend many an hour thinking of how I was going to do it before I decided that GS was the only way it would work.

Back attached to main body. Yay me! You can see that one of the poles is longer then the other I'm not exactly sure how I'm going to fix that yet.

This is just a closer look at the front part, and another look at the uneven poles.

This is an overhead shot with a GW measuring tape to show how long it is. Unfortunately I didn't notice the tape measure wasn't straight until after I uploaded the picture. Even with it not straight it looks like it is around 10.5 inches long.

Another close up of the front. This time with the tape measure, and now I notice that the file wasn't straight either.

A close up of the back, and mid section. Also with the tape measure.

The shadow isn't finished yet. I still need to add the guns and crew compartments, and of course the spiky bits that DE are known for. It's been quite the learning experience building this, but all the hard parts are behind me. If I could go back I'd definitely put a lot more effort into getting straighter cuts, and sanding the cuts smooth. The hardest part about building this is the fact that you're gluing pieces together in ways that make it really hard to get them to stay together. If I ever build another one I'll definitely put in the time to get all the cuts right.

I'm still unsure about how I'm going to paint it. I'm still a novice painter, and I'd really hate to give it a horrible paint job. Especially after the all the difficulty I had putting it together. My main worry for painting is the tube I used in the middle not holding the paint, but that's still a long ways off and I'll just have to deal with that when I get there.

Simply because I feel like posting it here's a picture of the Talos I put together and painted.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    82 (x1)

jaw hits floor.
    tongue falls out.
    drool starts to pool.

That's a beautiful model. One thing I love about the DE forum is it's so small people post their WIP in here (something you never see in SM forums). So I am definetly, totally, entirely subscribed. Can't wait to see this puppy finished.

cheers,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Awesome. Hope to see more of it soon!
    ------------------------------------
    Innovation suffuses this hobby like a tea bag in the boiling water of play.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by keith1887 View Post
    A while back someone, who's name I've forgotten, made a post asking about the Shadow variant for the raider.
    I believe it was 'Alethe' a few pages back and yes I think that this model would be a pain in the butt to build also!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Unfortunately I never did find the stats, but a kind poster on DakkaDakka was able to provide me with the instructions on how to build it.
    Check you PM's Keith.
    Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls.
    These are some of my favourite things.
    - Dracon Borkor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Well done, sir! It looks gorgeous, and if its any solace, I can't tell that the poles aren't lined up or anything. I'm pretty much just wowed. And a rep for you too.

-Dark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Brilliant

Love the design and I think I shall be building one. Consistently I feel like I really haven't put enough work into my DE. Thank you once again for putting me to shame!

I will be building one of these.
    Now to figure out if it is possible to do without the grav tank bottom half as I don't have one of those lying around...
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm liking what I see, please keep us updated.
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

I'm still unsure about how I'm going to paint it. I'm still a novice painter, and I'd really hate to give it a horrible paint job. Especially after the all the difficulty I had putting it together. My main worry for painting is the tube I used in the middle not holding the paint, but that's still a long ways off and I'll just have to deal with that when I get there.
    Hi again,

Is the recalcitrant tube primed with GW’s own primer yet?

This stuff is excellent as it actually etches a hold onto almost any material as long as it’s clean and I mean surgically clean.

Wash the finished model in warm soapy water because your hands will have been all over this many, many times during construction and there will be an invisible greasy film on areas that you would not think possible. Test a section of the tube with Chaos Black Primer, leave to dry thoroughly and try and scratch it off with a blunt finger nail – if it resists then your good to go but if it flakes off easily you will need to rough the surface up with a fine grade ‘wet and dry’ paper and rewash it thoroughly afterwards.

Normally if any glue can stick to a material then you can prime it – big no no’s are thermoplastics like Tupperware but standard issue styrene like GW uses is excellent as the primers solvent base microscopically dissolves the surface and bonds like a second skin.

The ‘wash before you prime’ advice is relevant for any model and especially metal models as they are covered with a mould release to prevent sticking when made. Its surprising that this easy step is forgotten time and time again even by experienced painters!

Let me know how you get on here.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I haven't gotten to priming it yet. I haven't done too much to it since I posted. I added the pilot compartment onto the back section. Unfortunately while trying to get the seats out of the raiders I butchered them pretty bad, and I needed one for the gunner. I'm thinking I'll just use the other falcon seat instead.

After that it's just adding the guns/spikes/blades, which I don't see being too hard. Even though it won't add anything stat wise to it I'll try to use as many of the falcon and raider guns as I can. I think it would be kind of neat to see it as a sort of super skimmer loaded with weapons especially considering it's size.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast