Diresword? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diresword?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Diresword?

I was reading up on what weapon to give my DA Exarch when i stumbled across something i wasnt too sure about. When you fail one of the Leadership tests you must take per unsaved wound against a Diresword, does it count as instant death rule? Because i was playing my Brother (who is Templar collector) and he charged my dires with his Champion. He failed one of leadership tests and because it is immune to instant death i imagined that the diresword had no affect on him, but it doesnt say in the rule book that this counts as instant death, so i was wondering. Does the diresword cause instant death on thoe who fail this leadership test or does it instead remove all remaining wounds and kill them outright?

Thanks in advance

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Direswords cause wounds NOT instant death. No where in it's rules dose it say instant death. So it's the second case, they die from losing there remaining wounds not being killed instantly. This may sound odd logically speaking but there is a distinction, instant death causes harm grater than one wound, dire swords cause harm equal to one wound but as many times as needed. So if you need to explain it say it just hits them as many times as needed.

Just to avoid any rule lawyering the eternal warrior and instant death rules are used in other things in eldar codex and as such there's no room to argue. The dire sword is a very special weapon, it is not causing instant death but it does remove the remaining rules.

Until this is FaQ it is both RAW and RAI as far as i can see

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

Direswords don't cause Instant Death, no, which means Eternal Warrior is no use against them. They're not that great, though, as most things you're going to be fighting with more than 1 Wound is likely to be LD9 or 10 which means they're not going to kill things very often. But they do not cause Instant Death, it is stated as 'killing the target outright' rather than 'causing Instant Death'.

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Although, since Templars are fearless in CC it really should have no effect against them.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

If you want to Rule as Written, the Diresword can kill a model with Eternal Warrior.
    If you want to Rule as Intended, the Diresword would likely inflict 'instant death'.

However, the strongest case goes towards ruling as written.
    Eldar
    Tyranids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere that the Champion is immune to instant death. I play Templars and the only piece of Wargear that gives resistance to instant death is the Adamantite Mantle and that's only for double Strength wounds. Being Fearless in CC is the problem when facing Templars though. The entry for the Diresword doesn't mention anything about Fearless units being suseptable to it, so not sure if most people would allow it to be used.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

194 (x7)

Fearless units pass all Morale and Pinning checks, not Leadership tests, otherwise Fearless units would automatically pass things like Psychic tests. Fearless units are not invulnerable to direswords, and if your opponent is saying they are then he's wrong, as it is specifically stated as being a Leadership test and not a morale check.

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Absolutionis View Post
    If you want to Rule as Written, the Diresword can kill a model with Eternal Warrior.
    If you want to Rule as Intended, the Diresword would likely inflict 'instant death'.

However, the strongest case goes towards ruling as written.
    see i don't think so, the instant death rules are clear and used in the codex and it would have been a huge over sight if instant death was intended but not used. Given the wording of the rules it seems clear to me that the dire sword exists as a exception to the rule. So for me both RAW and RAI seem to be very much the same thing.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    403 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by hotcod View Post
    see i don't think so, the instant death rules are clear and used in the codex and it would have been a huge over sight if instant death was intended but not used. Given the wording of the rules it seems clear to me that the dire sword exists as a exception to the rule. So for me both RAW and RAI seem to be very much the same thing.
    The eldar codex is an old one, but I do sort of agree with you - if it was meant to be Instant Death, it'd say so in the FAQ.
    My Deathwatch Campaign
    Furious Angels: (SM) W22, D1, L9 (BA) W15, D0, L3 | Sentinels of Saphery (HE) W3, D0, L0

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

194 (x7)

The FAQ doesn't cover it, so we have to assume until told otherwise that Direswords ignore Eternal Warrior and do not actually cause Instant Death, just kill the model outright.

DiW

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast