Need advice on best mobile units - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Need advice on best mobile units

I need some mobile units. I am thinking of either Vypers, Guardian Jetbikes, or Storm Serpents.

My requirements are to be able to contest or hold an enemy objective; and at the moment I'm seriously lacking some mobility in my army, I have 399 points left. So could you tell me what you would choose and why?

Zhupei

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    194 (x7)

If you want to hold objectives, a unit of Dire Avengers mounted in a Wave Serpent is definitely your best bet. Wave Serpents are difficult to kill with their Energy Field rule and they're just as manoeuvrable as Vypers or Guardian Jetbikes. They provide a great deal of protection for the troops inside and they can move 24" a turn, and once you get to the objective you unload the Dire Avengers and there you go. That will probably take up 280 or so of those points if you use an Exarch as well, with the other 150 you might want to use Jetbikes/Vypers but I wouldn't, perhaps you could spend some of them on a Doomseer (Farseer with Doom in case you didn't know) to join the Dire Avengers and make them extra awesome.

DiW

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Cheapest overall would be 6 jetbikes 1 warlock with embolden ( I don't trust the small 3 man squads for objective holding contesting ). I personally would go with storms in waveserpents ( this is one of my favorite units ) a couple of flamers and a destructor make them a horde killing machine or give the warlock embolden to give them a better chance of holding. The serpent is a durable vehicle that has a great movement and the tank shock can get them on an objective, the heavy weapon doesn't hurt either. As DiW said perhaps getting a bike squad and a serpent squad would work well for you and fit into the points. The vypers need alot of other threats on the battle field to work as they drop quickly when people fire at them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

none of the above

I personally would go with a completely differnet unit. Shining spears. They are surprisingly effective and as far as I can tell very few people consider using them and this means that the enemy witt never expect it. with a squad I use 3 shining spears, Exarch with starlance and withdraw and autarch with jetbike mandiblasters and laser lance which means that on the charge you pull together 11 strength 6 power weapon attacks and 3 strength eight ones and with withdraw you can be gone before the enemy brings its muscle to bear making this unit superb at destroying those pesky heave support units that the enemy is hiding in the far corner and being gone before the enemy can retaliate. in terms of holding objectives these arent good but they can send anything that is holding it fleeing and if it comes to it have 3 or four gaurdian jetbikes behind to move in once the shining spears are finished to capture.
    hope this helps.
    Last edited by steveabc123; May 30th, 2009 at 23:15.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    28 (x1)

Thanks people for all the suggestions so far, I made a mistake actually, and I found out that I have 299 points( forgot to add my firedragons wave serpent). this is my army list just in case you were wondering.

[LEFT]Farseer, fortune, guide, spirit stones 125

10 Dire avengers, exarch, bladestorm, defend, 2 catapults, Wave serpent, bright lance 135

6 rangers 114

2x10 guardians, bright lance, warlock, conceal, embolden 310

10 striking scorpions, exarch, fist, shadowstrike 207

6 fire dragons, exarch, firepike, wave serpent, cannons 216

5 dark reapers, exarch, tempest launcher, fast shot 227

2 lords, sword, flamers 200

Total:1701
    Last edited by ZhuPei; May 31st, 2009 at 06:39. Reason: forgot to put in total points

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

pathfinders

consider changing your rangers to pathfinders because the +2 bonus to cover saves is unbelievably useful.
    and with the dark reapers crack shot is also useful because an AP 3 weapon that ignores cover is going to do some massive damage, especially as you have taken tempest launcher (nice choice)
    Last edited by steveabc123; May 31st, 2009 at 11:52.

+ Reply to Thread