How do you run your O'Shovah unit? All out power or defensive. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: How do you play O'Shovah?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • All out offensive

5 83.33%
  • Turtle shell defence

0 0%
  • Some other way

1 16.67%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you run your O'Shovah unit? All out power or defensive.

So how do you guys load up your Commander Farsight - O'Shovah when you field his unit?

Personally I take;

Commander Farsight

7 Bodyguards, each with drone controllers and hard-wired drone controllers.

4 of the Bodyguards have Fusion Blasters and Flamers and Shield generators. the other 3 have Plasma Rifles and Missiles and multi trackers.

Each of the drone controllers can take 2 drones (can't remember, haven't played in about 6 months lol) So that is 4 gun drones each guard for a total of... 28. And it all counts as his 1 unit

The purpose of my O'Shovah unit is to deepstrike and light things up. If he dies, oh no, its not the end of the world but man does he go down fighting.

----------------------------------

So how about you guys? Anyone run him other ways? I know there are some people who use his unit as a shield. Let me know

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by CIMM SHARK View Post
    So how do you guys load up your Commander Farsight - O'Shovah when you field his unit?

Personally I take;

Commander Farsight

7 Bodyguards, each with drone controllers and hard-wired drone controllers.

4 of the Bodyguards have Fusion Blasters and Flamers and Shield generators. the other 3 have Plasma Rifles and Missiles and multi trackers.

Each of the drone controllers can take 2 drones (can't remember, haven't played in about 6 months lol) So that is 4 gun drones each guard for a total of... 28. And it all counts as his 1 unit

The purpose of my O'Shovah unit is to deepstrike and light things up. If he dies, oh no, its not the end of the world but man does he go down fighting.

----------------------------------

So how about you guys? Anyone run him other ways? I know there are some people who use his unit as a shield. Let me know
    Your unit is illegal. You cannot take a hard wired and non hard wired Drone controller on a single XV8. You are not allowed to duplicate any item of wargear be it hard wired or not. Check the rules in the battlesuit armoury. The maximum number of Drones an XV8 can take is two.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

*sigh*... Fine..... Good thing hard wired controllers are easy to take out eh? So take down the hard wired ones and that unit is STILL a heavily offensive force.

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

My Farsight Bomb is simple: Deep Strike O'Shovah and his 7 bodyguards, armed in whatever setup you favor with Multitrackers and give them HW options to make them all distinct models (between TL, DC, and BSF this is easy). If you have the spare points (AKA MASSIVE Apoc fights), then give them all TAs and make the MTs hard-wired. point and click, the unit can put out an insane number of shots each turn (even Before drones, which I like be mostly Gun with a couple of Shields mixed in). The effect is like highlighting an infantry unit every turn and pressing "delete", and if you arrange them right it is darned near imposible to get enough shots in at them to actually take one down.

Now, I favor Fireknife or Helios setup for the guards, though others have their own schools of thought (Firestorm and Bladestorm get entertaining).
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    My Farsight Bomb is simple: Deep Strike O'Shovah and his 7 bodyguards, armed in whatever setup you favor with Multitrackers and give them HW options to make them all distinct models (between TL, DC, and BSF this is easy). If you have the spare points (AKA MASSIVE Apoc fights), then give them all TAs and make the MTs hard-wired. point and click, the unit can put out an insane number of shots each turn (even Before drones, which I like be mostly Gun with a couple of Shields mixed in). The effect is like highlighting an infantry unit every turn and pressing "delete", and if you arrange them right it is darned near imposible to get enough shots in at them to actually take one down.

Now, I favor Fireknife or Helios setup for the guards, though others have their own schools of thought (Firestorm and Bladestorm get entertaining).
    The Farsight bomb is evil if you can keep it out of assaults. The easiest way to nerf the unit is to keep the unit in CC for most of the game. The only time I would take the bomb is in an Apoc game.
    I rarely use the unit but when I do I take a mix of Fireknife with TA and HW multi and Helios TA and HW multi with a few Shield Drones and Gun Drones. Does the job and is simple.

I use it quite offensively but like I said you have to be careful to avoid assaults.

By the way Psy how do you arrange the unit to not get enough shots in to them. If you can hit one of the unit then the whole unit takes wounds.

CIMM: Sigh all you want, I was only letting you know you are playing with an illegal unit. I thought you would rather know than be told in the middile of a game etc.
    Last edited by Rikimaru; June 4th, 2009 at 10:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

lol yes I would rather know I always like hearing what people have to say about things. I did have to go read the codex again after you posted it though lol. I'd still love to argue the wording of the codex with the GW employees tonight when i'm at the battle bunker. The unit I was using was based off what a friend of mine who use to play Tau showed me and I never really looked into it, just thought it was cool as hell and used it. But since you seem to know more lol I'll trust your word on it. Beside, like I said, it was just hard wired one and even if I take off the hard point ones instead, its an easy touch up with paint lol.

Never turn down good advice or ideas Best way to learn lol

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Riki, I was only talking about making them all into unique models, such that the team will probably take 6-8 unsaved wounds before anything actually dies. Sure, you can shoot at them, but the sheer VOLUME of fire required to actually threaten anything is astounding.

Farsight
    'Vre 1 (no HW options)
    'Vre 2 (TL)
    'Vre 3 (BSF)
    'Vre 4 (DC)
    'Vre 5 (TL, DC)
    'Vre 6 (BSF, DC)
    'Vre 7 (TL, BSF, DC)

In this arrangement, you decide where each and every wound gets rolled. In the squad, I prefer to take a minimum of two Shield Drones to soak instant-kill fire (which is REALLY hard to saturate a party with), and in the Bomb tactic I aggressively use Farsight's extra wounds to preserve his bodyguard's lives (odd, I know). I only roll saves on Drones when assigning to a suit could kill it, and I've had the distinctly odd situation crop up where I had a 14-model unit with each and every one at 1 wound remaining... which is just as deadly as the day it dropped out of the sky.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by PsyBomb View Post
    Riki, I was only talking about making them all into unique models, such that the team will probably take 6-8 unsaved wounds before anything actually dies. Sure, you can shoot at them, but the sheer VOLUME of fire required to actually threaten anything is astounding.

Farsight
    'Vre 1 (no HW options)
    'Vre 2 (TL)
    'Vre 3 (BSF)
    'Vre 4 (DC)
    'Vre 5 (TL, DC)
    'Vre 6 (BSF, DC)
    'Vre 7 (TL, BSF, DC)

In this arrangement, you decide where each and every wound gets rolled. In the squad, I prefer to take a minimum of two Shield Drones to soak instant-kill fire (which is REALLY hard to saturate a party with), and in the Bomb tactic I aggressively use Farsight's extra wounds to preserve his bodyguard's lives (odd, I know). I only roll saves on Drones when assigning to a suit could kill it, and I've had the distinctly odd situation crop up where I had a 14-model unit with each and every one at 1 wound remaining... which is just as deadly as the day it dropped out of the sky.
    Ahh got you, you made it sound like the 'arrange' meant placement on the table itself.
    It is indeed a good tactic to take unique models on such a large squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I would love to have Commander Farsight in my force, but alas, I love my modelled Kroot more...

If I did take him, I'd take a mix of every configuration out there!

A force of all crisis suits would so rock!

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Hmmm...

I've never actually tried Farsight myself (love my kroot & RHs too much), but I've seen it used by an experienced player. He took the 7-man bodyguard all as Fireknifes, but they had different hardwired options as psybomb suggested. His entire army revolved around them, providing loads of ML support. They need Markerlights to be efficient. He seems to win most of his games, but he said the hardest part about it is playing against armies with multiple battlecannons or stronger.

Something you will see a lot of in Apoc.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast