Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
OK guys here it is. The greatest ork debate ever. Are orcs better at slicing limbs and stomping skullz or shotting the hell out of you? State wat you think why your choice is best and why it is better than the other! HAVE FUN!
Lately have come to the following conclusions, this is bassed on observations from the games using the previous and current eddition rules and codexes. It works well in my Local Meta-Game which is limited to a couple opponents with a couple different armies each.
- Stompy boyz should NEVER foot slog
- 12 Stompy boyz on a trukk shouldnt charge dedicated CC troops alone, 2 units minimum (Dirty Death Company)
- 12 Stompy boyz on a trukk will kill most units in the first or second round of combat, as soon as they aren't in combat they will likely die unless you have co-ordinated your attacks on other units to deny the enemy shooting back
- I havent tried Boyz in a battle waggon but in theory they would be much more stompy because of the higher number of troops
- Shooty Boys should ALWAYS foot slog, save the trukks for the stompy boyz
- Marching a unit of 30 Shoota Boyz up the center of the battle field will put the fear of Gork and Mork into you foes when you start throwing 63 dice at 18 inches
- Shooty Orks relly heavily on throwing fists full of dice.
- Grots should always go infront of shooty units that advance, nothing worse than being charged.
- Shooty and stompy units should always have a way to kill a dreadnaught, usually a Nob with a claw.
- Shooty boyz are like Stompy boyz but with one less attack.
- Warboss + Nobs on bikes are about as shooty and stompy as you could ever ask for. I would recomend 1 WB on bike with atleast a couple biker boyz if points are tight.
- Killer Kans are cheap and look more menacing to the opponent than your trukks, always give the enemy something else to shoot at.
- Warbuggies with TL rokkits, never leave home without 3
- Looted wagons with boom guns are fricken sweet, must have atleast one.
In saying all that I dont play one way or the other, I find a nice balance in the middle ground, regardless of mission if you can time your shooting and attacks to all hit on turn 2 the game will be over before turn 4.
I also have to admit my orks have never had to face down a land raider and have thus far been lucky enough to avoid a pie plate throwing contest. If I was going to go Shooty I would take 2-3 units of 30 strong Shoota boyz on foot with Nobs and atleast a couple units of grots. If I was going to go stompy I would get everyone mechanised otherwise your not going to be in CC until turn 3 and by that point the battle is almost over.
Heres a link to some of my battle reports with balanced Ork forces.
Ork vs Blood Angel
Ork vs Ultra Marine
Ork vs Dark Eldar
There are some other BR's there one of which has been posted here also.
Last edited by dustand; June 5th, 2009 at 03:37. Reason: fogot to finish a sentence
I find this to be a moot argument. I'm all about shooty Orks, and as a matter of fact I almost always field Shoota Boyz. But having said that, my goal is still always to get into combat! Shooty Orkses are all about making noise along the way to getting stuck in.
So, it is my opinion that Orks are better at both! Eh, why the hell not? Shoot AND Stomp!
I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!
Dakka Dakka Dakka! Krump Krump Krump! Gotta have a lil' bit of both worlds! Who's da best at stompin some 'eads and makin' lotsa noise doin so?
shoot the stompy units and stomp the shooty units. Thats the most basic advise one can give, and it works!
I use a mechanized army, and i want a mix of boys to get a veriaty and tactical choises on the battlefield. I use sluggaboys in trukks for fast and choppy death, and i mount 1 or 2 units of shootaboys (with big shootas) in battlewagons. Actually i start to like shootaboys more and more. They do alot of damage when shooting, and still they do a pretty good job in CC.
If the enemy has alot of CC guys, and need to get to me, i sit back and shoot. When they come close enough i drive over them with my deffrollas and shoot / charge them afterwards. Thats usually one big coordinated attack! soften them up before charging helps alot. And if they have a shooty list i drive as fast as i can, jump out and hit them in the fce before they can reload theire guns.
I usually get to charge in turn 2, even if i drive 6" and shoot with my wagon/shootaboys. So thats the basic tactic of my army.
For me H2H results in far more kills/ork than shooting, plus if your enemy survives your first round of combat they can't shoot you to pieces in their next turn. If you can assault 2 units at once it ends up being safer as at least SOMEONE should survive the round and more than likely you'll kill two units.
The only problem is getting them there - you can either go numbers or go transport.
I prefer transport because it allows you to get there quicker and you can always hop back on the vehicles to head somewhere else on the table.
A unit of kitted out nobz in a trukk is just plain scary - i've seen nothing that can withstand them in h2h. Two such squads almost guarantees you'll get a squad there on your second turn chopping the enemy to pieces even if you lose the transport to one.
That said lootas are indespensible at taking out enemy mobile units or large creatures. In a battlewagon they are well protected and more mobile.
Don't overlook the boarding ramp - a Nob with 4 attacks with a powerklaw @ strength 9 that hits on a 3+ most of the time is nothing to sneeze at.
The only thing is even at a run your still running the risk of no combat till turn 3 (if the enemy deploys at their table edge, and it also leaves you vulnerable to mobile units with fast transports, nothing worse than slogging 2 turns to have your enemy mount up and race away.
I am going to have to build some skirmish trays for my boyz before I start slogging them. I hate takinging liberties in moving my models but its better than taking 45 minutes to move my army each turn.
Last edited by dustand; June 6th, 2009 at 00:25. Reason: spelling
Quite simply, shoota boys are better. I don't like to be so cut-and-dry about this but it's the truth. Even when charging, they have the advantage because they make up their lack of CC attacks with their shootas. Even if you're putting them into a trukk, shoota boys are better. And needless to say, if you want footsloggers go with shootas.
A few more reasons to take shootas:
- Orks have low I; shooting takes place before any assault attacks are made.
- Against enemy assault specialists (daemons), they have the option of avoiding CC.
- They can choose not to shoot on the charge so as to make the CC last 2 turns.
- Believe it or not, they're better on the charge if you include the shooting. Mathhammer that if you want.
- 18" range means a lot.
Sorry slugga-lovers, but shootas are better. If you want to take sluggas & choppas for fluff that's another story.
Last edited by MorbidlyObeseMonkey; June 6th, 2009 at 01:46.
Check out my new blog! http://gamers-gone-wild.blogspot.com/