Blue Gauss - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Blue Gauss

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Blue Gauss

I got my monolith and I was wondering where I would find a blue crystal and blue gauss for my warriors destroyers etc

I saw red ones somewhere not sure where

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

I used to know a player who used blue plastic pieces for his warriors and other units. You might be able to find some small plastic rods that you can cut to fit each weapon. Looking at your local arts&crafts store would be your best bet, though finding a rod of the right size may be a little hard. As for the monolith crystal I haven't a clue.
    Warhammer 40k: Blood Angels, Imperial Guard, Grey Knights, Space Lizards (wolves), Kroot, Witch Hunters, Dark Eldar
    Warhammer: Lizardmen, Empire, Vampire Counts, Brettonians, High Elves, Skaven

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have an idea, but it'll require some planning, elbow grease and money.

Order Plastic Polycarbonate Sheet in Small Quantities at OnlineMetals.com

Here's where you can pick up some sheets of clear polycarbonate sheets, 12"x12" for about $5. The crystal for the monolith is 3/32" thick, so you'd want the .093" thickness. It would be a simple project of cutting patterns of the green crystal and then painting it blue. You could go hog-wild with the painting scheme, try sanding the inside of each piece for an opaque look, mix some white streaks with the blue for an ice effect, whatever your fancy may be.

Also, there are tons of places to buy other colored polycarbonate sheets as well as Plexiglas. I know that it's available in a wide range of colors, the only thing is then you start having a crystal that's more expensive than the model you're building!

Just some thoughts; hope it helps.

jroode

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Or, you could just paint it blue. Yes, it's hard to do and you won't get the same effect out of it as if everything was made in transparent plastic. But, i've seen it done in a way that looks better than if the crystal wasn't painted.

I think someone put up a good link to the rods. Look trough the rest of the necron forum to find it.

I Sincerely Want a Parrot counterwavecounter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    56 (x1)

If you paint them you will lose the transparent coolness. You could try magic marker it will give them a blue hue and should maintain the transparent effect.
    "The man in the bowler hat is Mr. Average in his anonymity. I, too, wear one; I have no great desire to stand out from the masses." - Rene Magritte

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by counterwavecounter View Post
    If you paint them you will lose the transparent coolness. You could try magic marker it will give them a blue hue and should maintain the transparent effect.
    Exactly. So, you have to make an cooler effect and that's really hard...

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by counterwavecounter View Post

Well this is the same issue I've run into, however my buddy helped me come up with a solution. I went with red Gauss rods, and putting red plastic over green still makes it NOT pure red. With that said we're opting to paint them blood angels red...HOWEVER, the trick he suggested was to paint with the WET look. Where the portal, crystal, and rear window will SHINE and look similar to how a BLEEDING affect would look. Yes, they're painted and not transluscent, however the shiny depth should counter that.

We haven't done it on the monolith yet, but he has shown me the effect on his deamon Great unclean one, and I think the wet effect will suit perfectly and allow you to CUSTOM paint the color (light blue, darker, etc). I'm needing to finish my army (been a LONG process) so I hope to have a finished Monolith before August 8th (i'll post pics then).
    Last edited by Dark Trainer; June 7th, 2009 at 20:22.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    457 (x8)

Instead of painting it with paint, you could try the Citadel washes. I've not done this myself, but maybe Asurmen Blue will turn them blue enough to look cool, and it will still be translucent.
    Mickey: "You're just making this up as you go along!"
    The Doctor: "Yuuuup. But I do it brilliantly!"

Check out my WIP thread here (Clicky!)

The rules (Clicky!) Read 'em, know 'em, love 'em.

Peace, through superior firepower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Saw a necron army on Ebay a year or two ago who did this. Phenomenal army, but the showcase were the blue gauss rods and all blue gauss (portal included) monolith. The seller gave away his secret too.

Basically, you have to mold all the pieces and fill it with a clear plastic resin dyed with the color wash of your choice. Not easy, but if you know how to do it not hard either.

+ Reply to Thread