Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Greetings Dark kin.
A while ago when choosing what to start with i was torn.. I loved the Dark Eldar story and all all the fluff ( Old dark elves player too ) But everywhere i looked people said "Stay away untill new codex arrives".
Now seeing rumors that they are a year away, waiting that long might be to long.
My gf started with SM.. and that fluff is great.. and i was torn.. eldar with a "new" shiny codex.. good looking models and all that.. or the old codex dark eldar with not that nice looking models.
I bought in some Eldar but i never got the.. real feel for them.. and looking and reading more and more i tend to fall back to the Dark Eldar.. but is it worth it? Or should i really wait untill the new codex arrives?
Or should i trade my Eldar to Dark Eldars and get to know it all and play with the army i first intended to do, even if it means loosing alot of games due to all these things.
Yes, go with DE, they can be so rewarding when you know how to use them. You defeat your enemies with good tactics as you cannot rely on luck. They are an investment army in that respect though, you do have to put in the hard yards.
http://www.armyroster.com Check out my ToP WIP in the projects section!
i would say yes to start getting them, just because it does take some time getting your tactics right. you can pick up stuff on ebay cheap and if your like me you can start converting things the way you want them to look.
“You are young yet and the thirst has but a shallow hold on you – you could run while you can and never look back on the Dark Kin.
Or stay, and you will have much to learn from the shadowy Mandrakes, the voiceless Incubi and the martial grace of the Wyches. These things you must master but most of all you must learn how to uncover the plots of your enemies whilst they are but thoughts in their minds.”
Anyway back to the real world………….
Mate asking if you should start DE in a DE forum is always going to be biased so lets look at this dispassionately if we can.
Reasons to start –
1. EBay is rife with cheap DE models right now due to the threat of new ones being released, so the army is going to be very cheap in comparison to any other,
2. DE are a niche army and as such you will always wear the labels of “Under Dog” and being a “curiosity” that shouldn’t really win a game (in your opponents eyes,)
3. DE have ‘flavour,’ they are a deliberate departure from what is the norm for Games workshop and have many rules dug from the Harlequins gravesite many moons ago. And they are relatively rare, all this will mean that you will wield weapons and wargear that players won’t understand fully and if they eventually do then it’s usually much too late to do a lot about it in a game (insert evil cackle here!),
4. Totally ignore the rumors of re-release, there is no time frame given so just continue on as though the talk didn’t exist. This removes the uncertainty of being superceded whilst you are still collecting, and even if proven wrong it just means that you can simply add to your army at a later date,
5. DE draw a crowd, just rock up at your local game site, plonk them on the table and watch the onlookers draw breath and mutter things like “I have heard of Dark Eldar, are they are badass as they appear?” But be prepared to suffer quips like they are ‘broken’ due to old and cranky rules when you win games,
6. Speed around the table is addictive,
7. When you do win games it can almost always be put down to good generalship on your part, you feel as though the win was earned and not down to some lucky dice roll somewhere.
Reasons not to start –
1. The models are considered by some to be ugly and dated, usually by players that have trouble painting in my opinion – a good paint job can make any canvas come alive,
2. A new range is coming out that promises to be soooooo much nicer! Really, when exactly? I am growing old waiting for this (and the price of real estate to come down also.)
3. I am going to lose a lot of games learning how to use them. Rubbish, what you need is someone who doesn’t think like a Space Marine to show you have to use them in the first place and this forum is more than up to this task I assure you! This more than anything is the most annoying thing that I have encountered over the years and is constantly perpetuated by GW’s own employees who only know how to play with a 3+ armour save in mind (a generalization I know, but you probably get the idea here.)
So there you have my opinion on the matter and I hope that you do choose the dark side for your adventure into war gaming.
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.
i had a lot of the same feelings as you when i started a few years ago. I wanted dark eldar but decided to get marines as people told me games workshop actually kept them up to date. i was also told they were a more solid army all around.
i soon regretted it and sold them to buy dark eldar and go with my original gut and am very happy. if the army suits you and suits your playstyle you will not only do better in the long run but enjoy the hobby more all around.
the codex may be old but i don't give any easy wins to my fellow gamers i am told.
what we do have that works, it works well..
then there are hellions and scourges..
The main question to ask yourself is:
Can you handle having the worst codex in the game if you have the most unique and challenging army to play with?
The models don't honestly matter that much, since you can always convert them to your liking or use other models and convert those.
Also, are you prepared to buy LOTS of transports?
--•-My 40K projects-•--
I believe Wicky summed up the pros/cons fairly well. I personally enjoy pro #5, DE really do draw a crowd. In a recent local tourney, during my first game I must have had 20 people gathered round amazed to see a DE army on the tabletop. But anyway, waiting for the codex to come out is time not playing the DE. Just think of all the people who would have been waiting since '97.
(WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)
As i live in sweden, Ebay is mostly a no go.. but i will search for cheap modells and start out small.
Warriors, some raider.. and such. See how i like em on the table (only played a few so far.. and it was with SM)
But i think this is just what i needed to put me on the track, Thanks alot
Funny to see another swede start dark eldar. I´m from stockholm and has just also started them. i think they are a good option to try out and they can be made very cool and good looking. You could try to look for some cheaper models of dark eldar on tradera or blocket. Have seen some there. just a tip.