Looted Wagons - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looted Wagons

Dei
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looted Wagons

Why are Looted Wagons so seldom used and generally disliked? All of their drawbacks can be worked around. The "Don't Press Dat" rule can be somewhat prevented by placing units in front of the Wagon (to prevent it from driving over 6" and not being able to fire its Boomgun).
    The low AV can be compensated with a Big Mek with KFF.

The only real drawback I can see is the chance of the pie plate scattering a bit more that you'd like. But when you hit it can deliver some serious damage and the Wagon(s) usually work as fire magnets, to help keep your transports safe.
    Since you can take Battlewagons as a Dedicated transport for Nobz you usually have room for 2 Looted Wagons as well.

Well? What excuse do you have for not fielding them?

"Luck often enough, will save a man, if his courage hold".

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

First of all, I love Boomwagons. If the point-limit is high enough, I often field two of them, flanking a ForceField mek.

Anywho, the boomwagon cannot fire it's boomgun if you get a 1 for "Don't press dat", even if it can't move the whole distance. If I remember correctly, they covered that in the FAQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x2)

Methodical is correct. In the FAQ it explicitly states that regardless of how far it actually moves, if you roll that '1' you won't be shooting that turn.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Yup

I agree with the general consensus, looted boomguns are very shooty and effective (as long as they aren't the only vehicles in the list). Looted wagons aren't very good transports though, except for a cheap unit that doesn't warrant a battlewagon, and can't take a trukk.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Fra-gee-lay. Dey must be Italian...

Quote Originally Posted by Dei View Post
    Why are Looted Wagons so seldom used and generally disliked? ?
    Well, they tend to die really quicky... If your using boomwagons, more than one is essential. Battlewagons and trukks are better transports IMHO.
    My award winning Orky tale

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

i find them far too expensive for their price. A gun that is almost equivalent to that of a Leman Russ is on a chassis that has very low AV and is open-topped (unless you buy the expensive ard case upgrade).

Any opponent worth its salt will not let you fire it more than once...and that's only if you could find hard cover to hide behind before moving and shooting.

I've tried it a few times, and the damn thing just explodes far too fast. And it doesn't attract nearly enough enemy firepower to be useful in that role, unlike my beloved old looted leman russ.
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Sal
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I use a lone boomwagon with 'ard case, big shoota and occasionally a reinforced ram in both my 1500 and 2000pt lists, and I find it to be rather effective. At 2000pts I also run three kans with KMB and 2 trukks with meganobz and 'ardboyz. The boomwagon is as much as possible covered by a KFF (along with the kans). I play against Eldar mostly and despite my opponents very rational fear of the boomwagon, it does tend to survive into the later turns of the game. Mostly because the trukks are the inital focus of his attention, but the KFF and 'ard case help alot. I would definately like to run two boomwagons, and I may in future, but a lone boomwagon can work if you give your opponent other tasty targets.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    291 (x5)

I have to disagree, AKM. Mine tend to draw a considerable amount of firepower, and have a decent time shrugging it off. If you use a looted Rhino as the chassis for your Looted Wagon, a unit of Loota Boyz standing in front of it will provide it with Obscurement. Given the possibility of shrugging off damage, they tend to pump a few extra shots into them. If it asplodes, tough luck, but at least thats fewer shots into my Trukks and Battle Wagons. If it survives, even better! I get to shoot at stuff ^_^
    I've recently become a fan of this thing called Dubstep. And you should too.
    Datsik & Flux Pavillion - Crunch (Youtube)
    Da Moo Kowz is da drinkinest Orks of dem all!

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

A singly S8 weapon shot with BS 4 at an obscured lootawagon with ard case has just below 10% chance of destroying it or destroying its main gun, and almost 25% chance of glancing or penetrating it, thus preventing it from shooting next turn.

And that's a single weapon. Not good odds if you ask me, considering its price.

A big mek with KFF hidden in grotz will be much better protected while probably attracting about as much firepower, and will be just as destructive, if a bid more unpredictable (but will have ammo runtz).

In 3rd/4th ed. the purpose of my looted LR was to attract as much firepowa as possible, and sometimes kill a few things. But going from 14 to 11 for only a small decrease in price really made it worthless in my eyes.
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

That's why I never use them as the only vehicle in the list. I only use them if I'm also using a considerable number of other vehicles. The advantage is, if they fire on the looted boomgun with the strength 8 weapon, then that means they aren't firing upon my trukks and battlewagons. In this case, drawing anti-armor fire is part of their appeal.

However, you have a point regarding their cost. That's why I don't even bother with 'ard case usually. A looted wagon, boomgun and big shoota (as a backup weapon) is all I use. Of course 3 rokkit or skorcha buggies is a lot more cost effective, but the looted boomgun does something that no other unit in the game does: fire strength 8 AP 3 ordnance shots every turn.

The SAG comes close, with strength 2d6 (making the average a 7), and is more resilient, but less consistent. Still, they're a good unit too. I just find that I often don't have the HQ slot free in larger games. Still, use whatever you like.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast