Shooting thorugh Devilfish - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shooting thorugh Devilfish

Can you do this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

You use true line of sight (TLOS). If the model can see past the devilfish, it can shoot past the devilfish. If the devilfish blocks line of sight, then the model cannot shoot through it.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So in other words if the layout looks like this: (FW-|0|-IG squad) where -|0|- is the DF and the IG squad is not in CC, the FW can fire at them. Correct?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by T_VanderZwaag View Post
    So in other words if the layout looks like this: (FW-|0|-IG squad) where -|0|- is the DF and the IG squad is not in CC, the FW can fire at them. Correct?
    Yes, and they would most likely receive a 4+ save because of the devil fish.
    Help the kin TAKE your soul, I mean, take your soul...
    I play Vassal. I'm in V40K Open Ladder.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Seeker84 View Post
    Yes, and they would most likely receive a 4+ save because of the devil fish.
    If the devilfish is mounted on the standard flying base, the IG would probably NOT get a cover save because the vehicle wouldn't block line of sight to anything. You only get cover if line of sight is blocked to at least 50% of the enemy (from the point of view of the models in the firing unit) or if the target enemy unit is in area terrain. In the hypothetical situation here, neither condition would be true.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mmmm rapid fire range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your still firing through a friendly/nonfriendly unit which confers a 4+ cover save if im not mistaken.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

Any infantry models that are even partially obscured would be counted as cover, so if the IG had their heads covered by the skimmer, they'd be in cover.

As previously stated, if 50% of the squad is even partially covered, this confers a cover save for the whole squad.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by A-Tau View Post
    Your still firing through a friendly/nonfriendly unit which confers a 4+ cover save if im not mistaken.
    According to TLoS, incorrect. You are firing underneath a unit, not through it.

The Devilfish is nothing more than a piece of terrain for the purposes of determining cover. It isn't a "friendly unit" for that purpose. Go reread the relevant section of the BRB.

Unless that terrain actually, physically blocks line of sight, then no cover save is granted.
    Quote Originally Posted by redbeef88
    Any infantry models that are even partially obscured would be counted as cover, so if the IG had their heads covered by the skimmer, they'd be in cover.
    This is true, but, as I noted, unlikely for the "common" situation of the devilfish being mounted on a standard GW flying stand, and the table is perfectly level. (No slope, the fire warriors aren't shooting at a target that is higher in elevation than they are, etc.) Even the shortest standard flying stand mounts the Devilfish high enough to clear the heads of most infantry models by a full 3/8".

The vast majority of the time, the Fire Warriors will have unobstructed line of sight to their targets. The reverse is also true, of course (no cover saves for your FWs when they're disembarked!), but hopefully you will have annihilated your target first.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by number6 View Post
    According to TLoS, incorrect. You are firing underneath a unit, not through it.

Unless that terrain actually, physically blocks line of sight, then no cover save is granted.

The vast majority of the time, the Fire Warriors will have unobstructed line of sight to their targets. The reverse is also true, of course (no cover saves for your FWs when they're disembarked!), but hopefully you will have annihilated your target first.
    I'm pretty sure the target gets a 4+ save. Firing underneath a friendly unit is still firing through it. Even if there is nothing blocking LOS, the target still recieves a 4+ save.

I'll use this as an example. X is a kroot, O is a fire warrior.

X - X - X - X - X
    - O - O - O - O - O

Even if you position your models so that the fire warriors can see the enemy with no obscured LOS, they still get the cover save.

That being said, the cover save is moot when firing at targets with 4+ or better armour saves. So use FoF against them or 5+ save and up when you have ML hits at your disposal.
    Last edited by MorbidlyObeseMonkey; June 16th, 2009 at 06:26.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast