Planet Strike Armies - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Planet Strike Armies

So, Planet Strike is on its way and is moving towards the city of Cormoraggghhas;lkjasdfjl;k (new official spelling).

With it, it brings a new way of playing in the form of a modified list as well as objectives, strategems and other strange things like lots and lots of explodie terrain.

Altered Lists are:
    Attackers get Standard list + 3 Elite + 1 HQ slot (Possibly more fast attack too, i forget). The only definite choice you must take is an HQ.

Defenders get Standard list + 3 Heavy slots. 2 Troop choices must be taken (possibly an HQ but I'm not certain on that)

The defender gets to set up all the terrain. Each bunker or weapons installation that is placed becomes an objective.
    You then get to select attacking strategems based on how many objectives have been placed
    The attacker then gets to bombard the defender from above with shells.
    The attacker then takes first turn, being allowed to DS any nonvehicle unit or start them in reserve to come on from turns 1-3+.
    As Deep striking commences the defending player can shoot down the DS'ers with weapon installations.

Finally an Objective can be held by any attacking unit even if there are defender units stationed around it, there is no contested. (KP's come in if there is a tie)

I intend this thread to be about the army theory side, what you would take and why? Will it get you to modify your list especially now that KP's will be a very rare occurrence?

I see wych squads appearing in more of my lists and also mandrakes becoming very very useful. With their 2+ cover save in craters and such.

On defence, the idea of using 6 Ravagers is one of the most savage things I have ever heard!

PS: I'm not intending on playing the "We always attack" rule as I think it would get old and lame quite quickly so for this thread could we just leave it out, pretend it is yet another rule that just doesn't make sense.

Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Splata View Post
    PS: I'm not intending on playing the "We always attack" rule as I think it would get old and lame quite quickly so for this thread could we just leave it out, pretend it is yet another rule that just doesn't make sense.
    On the contrary, I will always use that rule, because I dont like the idea of DE holding a position.
    they whern't meant to and they never will.
    if the sight occurs, that they "defend" an objekt, like a warpportal, they would appiar just as the "real" attackers would.
    striking from anywhere, but thats my opinion XD

so know to the real matter.

I realy look forward to planetstrike, eventough there are as usuall some discrepancies.
    Even tough we could Deep strike our raiders, the warriors on bord still can't disembark on the turn they arrive.
    Other than that, it should be noticed that, units that allready are allowed to DS can assault the turn they come into play. Jeah Chaos Deamons Rocks....
    but a Lord on Skyboard could be quite fun....or 3 Lords on Skyboards.

Reguarding my lists. I will not change them too much. 1 more lord but thats it.
    Maybe i will, if facing a Marine player, i'll play 3 Lords acconpanied by each 7 Inccubi and let them come over the flank.
    I think the way to go would be over the board edge, because we are to fragil to inccoming anti-DS-fire, and flanking DE, how awesome is that ;-)

I am wondering what all the nice SA can do in planetstrike. There is a WWP assault in there
    look here for more info on the Index of PS

reguarding the deployment of mandraks. there is no real deployment zone. either the troops come via DS or frome the board edge....stupid

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think planet strike will be alot of fun. Just to do something special from our three corrent standar mission. Also some of the special rules looks intersting. Like the rule for dark eldars that makes the opponet fro every round take a leadershiptest with -1 for that round(so in turn four if a unit need to take a test it gets -4!). Shall be intersting as I said.

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

If I were to be defending I would take scourges over ravagers a reasonable amount of the time.

Why? An infantry horde defending on favourable terrain is going to be a bitch to move - plus a grot screen can work wonderfully to "tank" an alpha strike (namely podding marines).

Raw offense units (like wyches) will often be left out of position as their role will change, so something a little more passive agressive (say hellions) would work more effectively.

Hell I might just make an army from all the crap choices and go nuts.

Or imagine like 6 (or however many) taloi doing a defensive MC slam? Man that sounds awesome.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x2)

Talos is monsterous creature... Deepstriking Talos, I got to try this with nine haemis on skyboards

Coven from the skies!

But I don`t like the idea of DE being a defender

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

So if ‘Planet Strike’ is a fully sanctioned non-standard mission that uses different force organization charts and deployment set-ups then why wouldn’t our special rule of always being the attacker make sense?
    The Errata only rewrites the entry of Fleet of Foot in the special rules.

I see a lot of parallels between this and our ‘Slave Raid’ scenario from page 42 in the Codex and I am wondering if Planet Strike is a variable turn game also?

The if the attacker gets the extra possibility of + 3 Elite and + 1 HQ slot then at any given points cost that would erode your Heavy support choices, interesting.

But I still can’t see me varying my standard lists to any great extent except for the compulsory use of “Always strikes First’ combat drug on my HQ’s to negate any cover benefits when attacking.

Must admit though, the Outsider’s thoughts on being the Defender are intriguing!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    So if ‘Planet Strike’ is a fully sanctioned non-standard mission that uses different force organization charts and deployment set-ups then why wouldn’t our special rule of always being the attacker make sense?
    The Errata only rewrites the entry of Fleet of Foot in the special rules.

I see a lot of parallels between this and our ‘Slave Raid’ scenario from page 42 in the Codex and I am wondering if Planet Strike is a variable turn game also?

The if the attacker gets the extra possibility of + 3 Elite and + 1 HQ slot then at any given points cost that would erode your Heavy support choices, interesting.

But I still can’t see me varying my standard lists to any great extent except for the compulsory use of “Always strikes First’ combat drug on my HQ’s to negate any cover benefits when attacking.

Must admit though, the Outsider’s thoughts on being the Defender are intriguing!
    However you decide to view the DE is always attacking is up to you. However I feel we will get more out of a discussion about planet strike if we just ignore it for the moment. Most of all I don't want a discussion on the rule. I do not feel it is of much benefit at the moment.
    One last point on this and I will say no more and that is, what if we are in the middle of a slave raid. We have set up an outpost to hold them and have been attacked. Something akin to that would make a planet strike mission possible. Even ifwe have 1 gun emplacement we can be a defending team thanks to the scalable rules. Would make for a very centralised battle.

Perhaps my original topic was too overarching and wanted to achieve too much. Perhaps it would be better to focus on one topic at a time. And since it seems up most people's alleys

Attack:
    Now that we only have to take an HQ will anyone be leaving out warriors? Perhaps raider squads might be in due to the ranged support that they offer as well as quick movement. However Warrior squads wth 2 x blasters and Splintercannons can now DS and hence be within range of a volley as they arrive. Something that might be fun.

Also as the Outside has mentioned, Hellions.
    Are they useless in this version? Now they get to assault on the trn they arrive you could teleport them in, fleet them and then assault with a punisher wielding succubus. Is this the boost they needed? Does it make them somewhat worthwhile? An instant hit, no chance of a deviation!

Scourges are the same... however I don't think we will be taking them lightly still (even without heavy weapons), but who am I to decide this? Perhaps in my precursory glance I have missed a vital piece of the puzzle.

Finally Horrorfex's. The new god. Taken with our very own Ld test modifying stratagem means that if you force a test in the second turn then it will be at -2 plus any horror fex modifier, turn 4 is -4 and so on. Against non-fearless armies (marines I'm looking at you) this could be absolutely game breaking!
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes, as you say Splata, that could indeed be a awsome weapon which should put fear in our enemies. Sadly not so for many armies as it seems now days that half you meet is fearless opponets.

+ Reply to Thread