Could Orks be the best army at 500pts? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Could Orks be the best army at 500pts?

Hey there,

I'm usually a 'nid player but I got swept up with green fever when black reach was released. I haven't got many orkses, maybe about 1000 pts total. Anyway, what do you more learned warbosses think about the title?

I've played 5 games so far with my little warband, all of the games at 500 pts, and I've managed to win them all. I'm not here to brag about that because I'm not that great a player, but I am becoming quickly convinced that Orks are probably the strongest army in small point games.

Thoughts?

If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x2)

"Nice twenty space marines." SHOKK ATTAK GUNZ
    "Nice crater-speckled-with-blue-armor."

Within my limited sphere of experience, I'd have to agree. I've fought against Guard (old and current), necrons, marines, chaos daemons and tyranids, and I almost always win at 500 points. Being able to take two squads of 20+ shootas and KFF mek is really brutal in such a small game.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Spotify

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    129 (x8)

Oh how I remember the days of 3 Wraithlords, 1 Avatar and 2x5 guardians in a minimal Eldar army... those kinds of lists don't work now with the new rules for scoring units.

Orks are good off in any case, since the best units we have happen to be troops anyway.
    Warhammer Fantasy: Warriors of Chaos, High Elves
    Warhammer 40k: Eldar, Space Marines, Orks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    254 (x8)

I'd have to agree that they probably are one of the best 500 point armies.
    For 500 points I managed to get two trukk boyz mobs, one of 12 and one of 11. Both with nobs and PKs. A warboss with PK, and a single TL rokkit Deff Kopta with buzz saw.
    Only ever played one game with that list, as 500 pointers aren't my thing at all, but it was a quick nippy, hard hitting list.
    Want to chat? You can normally find me in the LO CHAT!
    LO CHAT! JOIN US NOW AND BECOME A GOD OF BACON.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

It depends

Overall, I have to agree, out of all the armies, Orks do the best in 500 point games, but only when it's an Ork horde. Speed freaks do not do well at 500 points. Just just can't get enough vehicles in the list.

Now, if it's definitely going to be an annihilation mission (some people only do annihilation in 500 point games) than I'd have to say that the best are the Eldar. As long as they don't have to claim objectives, the Eldar are a frightening force at 500 points, simply because of all the bikes, high powered shooting, and psychics they can squeeze in.

Dark Eldar isn't half bad either, especially if they squeeze in 2 ravagers and 2 small shooty raider squads. I've also had/seen success with Chaos Daemons and Tyranids, as long as you squeeze in 2 monstrous creatures, and don't use genestealers or bloodletters (too expensive for that point level).

With all that said, there's no way of discounting a balanced group of marines, with cheap scouts, a tactical squad w/free missile launcher and flamer, a cheap HQ, a dread or predator, and 1-2 land speeders. I got wrecked by such a force at the last low point tournament I went to, and a similar list (played by another player) took 2nd place. I took 3rd with my daemons, and IG won, although it was more 'nobody knew how to fight the new codex' than anything else.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

I agree that Ork hordes are nigh unstoppable in small battles (seems ironic). We are just way too much to handle at 500 points. I wonder about grot lists though, because we could fit over 100 grots and still have plenty of room for other stuff. Add that to the fact that most 500 points games use combat patrol rules, so you don't require an HQ.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Viktor View Post
    Orks are good off in any case, since the best units we have happen to be troops anyway.

Too true. Way back in the day, It was dark eldar that had point for point the strongest troops in the game, but I belive it is now orks. Shoota boyz are just awesome, forget any fancy armour, give me loads of boyz any day!
    If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Yeah you can fit 50 Boyz (including two Power Klaw Nobz), an anti-tank Deffkopta and a pretty meaty HQ all in 500 points. Quite a force!

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Janitoria View Post
    Too true. Way back in the day, It was dark eldar that had point for point the strongest troops in the game, but I belive it is now orks. Shoota boyz are just awesome, forget any fancy armour, give me loads of boyz any day!
    I dunno... Plague Marines are probably point-for-point the toughest 'troops' unit to kill. I cry in larger battles when my opponent fits in over 50 of them.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x2)

Dark Eldar are still very strong in low point games. 2 talos, 30 warriors, 6 splinter cannons 3 shredders, and a drachon can punish orks (maybe not beat them, but hurt them). My 1000 list smashed orks, but hey just sayin'.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast