Vespid, fleet of wing, and moving through terrain. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy
 

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!


Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 16
  1. #1
    Senior Member oceanwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

    Vespid, fleet of wing, and moving through terrain.

    All this talk of vespids has got me wondering. Do you take a dangerous terrain test when you fleet out of terrain? The rules for fleet says '...A unit with this rule may assault in the same turn in which it has run'. Now when I hear 'run' I am thinking that they are on their feet running and would not need a dangerous terrain test, but then again it is called 'fleet of wing', so would that mean they are flying for their fleet movement and would need to take a dangerous terrain test?

    Any thoughts on that would be great as using vespid in terrain would be a little more entertaining if they did not need to take a dangerous terrain test when fleeting.

    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

    gday, p75 in the rulebook will have your answer. Fleet of Wing has exactly the same rules as any other Fleet rule.

    edit: rules for running in difficult terrain is on p16
    Last edited by redbeef88; June 22nd, 2009 at 11:21. Reason: clarification

  4. #3
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

    Vespid, like any jump infantry, are only jumping for the movement phase, they are on foot during the shooting and assault phases, meaning when running they still suffer from dangerous terrain and when assaulting they still take difficult/dangerous terrain tests.

  5. #4
    Senior Member oceanwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkspleen View Post
    Vespid, like any jump infantry, are only jumping for the movement phase, they are on foot during the shooting and assault phases, meaning when running they still suffer from dangerous terrain and when assaulting they still take difficult/dangerous terrain tests.
    During the movement phase, jump infantry has the option of moving as normal infantry (pg.52), thus not needing to take dangerous terrain tests while moving through difficult terrain. Going by this logic I was thinking that since they don't need a dangerous terrain test when not using wings/jet packs in the movement phase, why would they need one for their run or assault move as both are done without the use of said device.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

  6. #5
    The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    Age
    57
    Posts
    2,841
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

    If Vespid use their 'jump pack' in the Movement Phase and start or finish their move in terrain, they must take a Dangerous Terrain test.

    If they choose to 'Run' in the Shooting Phase, they must still make Dangerous Terrain tests. This is because Running has replaced the old "Fleet" rule, which was not subject to Difficult Terrain (and thereby Dangerous Terrain) tests.

    "Fleet" in whatever guise it comes - Fleet of Hoof/Wing/Foot, etc - just means in 5th Ed that any unit with the Fleet rule may still assault the enemy even if they have performed a "Run" move in the Shooting Phase.

    So Vespid have a problem with running through Difficult Terrain because it reverts to Dangerous Terrain since they are Jump Troops. The Run rules do not say "they do not use their 'jump packs'when running", whereas the Assault Phase specifically says that jump pack troops do not use their jump packs when assaulting.

    However, with their Skilled Flier rule they have a very low chance of actually succumbing to a failed Dangerous Terrain test anyway. Just don't say "Anything but a 1" when you're re-rolling!

    E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

  7. #6
    Senior Member oceanwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

    The rules for 'RUN!' says, '...units may may choose to run instead of firing.'. That to me sounds like you are, well running and not using another device.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

  8. #7
    Member Bassline's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Age
    26
    Posts
    219
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

    They are a fly sort of thing, running for a fly/bird/anything with wings when born is usually flying

  9. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    131
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    76 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by Bassline View Post
    They are a fly sort of thing, running for a fly/bird/anything with wings when born is usually flying
    There are no 'flying' units in standard 40k. The closest infantry type is 'Jump Infantry' which are always assumed to be on the ground unless 'jumping' in the movement phase or 'jet-packing' in the assault phase.

    Check 'Jump Infantry' rules - even gargoyles and assault marines must land before assaulting on foot.

  10. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    235
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by oceanwolf View Post
    During the movement phase, jump infantry has the option of moving as normal infantry (pg.52), thus not needing to take dangerous terrain tests while moving through difficult terrain. Going by this logic I was thinking that since they don't need a dangerous terrain test when not using wings/jet packs in the movement phase, why would they need one for their run or assault move as both are done without the use of said device.
    Oops, I wasn't clear, I mean that, in the movement phase they could fly over a piece of dangerous terrain and ignore it, but when running they cannot, they don't need a dangerous terrain test for what would normally be difficult terrain though when running/assaulting, it's treated as difficult terrain per standard infantry.

    Quote Originally Posted by eiglepulper
    So Vespid have a problem with running through Difficult Terrain because it reverts to Dangerous Terrain since they are Jump Troops. The Run rules do not say "they do not use their 'jump packs'when running", whereas the Assault Phase specifically says that jump pack troops do not use their jump packs when assaulting.
    I disagree here, between the run rules saying "running movement is not affected by difficult terrain" and the fact that the way the rules are written, strictly speaking even if you opt not to use your jump pack and instead move as normal infantry you are up for the dangerous terrain test if you start or end your move in difficult terrain. I think it's clear that the intention is for it only to apply to the movement phase if the models use thier jump packs. But that's me.

  11. #10
    Senior Member oceanwolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Kelowna, British Columbia
    Age
    29
    Posts
    344
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    ReputationReputation
    38 (x1)

    Quote Originally Posted by drunkspleen View Post
    I think it's clear that the intention is for it only to apply to the movement phase if the models use thier jump packs. But that's me.
    That is how it appears to me as well.
    Two droids walk into a bar. The bartender says "Hey, we don't serve your kind here.", so they leave.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts