Arts of the Red Harvest: Flayed Ones - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Arts of the Red Harvest: Flayed Ones

Hello again servants of the Star Gods!

This week I'm going back to an actual Necron unit! I figured it's been a couple weeks, but there are a few units we haven't covered, and now I feel bad for forgetting them.

So this episode is going to cover one of the creepier (if not creepiest, I mean seriously) Necron units. The dark stalkers in the night. A certain fun loving group who like to sew pretty bonnets out of T'au, and knit scarves from the flesh of Orks. These are the scalpel of the Necrons, I'm speaking, obviously of the Flayed Ones.

Most armies have a squad to serve as forward scouts, assassins, commandos, that sort of thing. Necrons choice is Flayed ones (I always found this strange, I figured the rotting skin might..I dunno give them away?) Between Infiltrate, Deepstrike and Move Through Cover, Flayed ones are amazingly mobile Necrons, and though they can't stand up against front-line close combat units, that's not really what they're there for anyway. Two attacks, a full space marine statline (YAY initiative!) and WBB make Flayed ones reasonably nasty in combat, add in Terrifying Visage and they can reasonably take on sizable squads of light infantry without large numbers.

So everyone, what's your application for Flayed Ones? Where do you like them to be? What do you want them to do? And WHY!?!?! (ok mybe not why but you get the idea)

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I use Flayed Ones to harass and disrupt enemy plans. I've Infiltrated them a handful of times but I've found they are most effective when the enemy least expects them, and this calls for Outflanking. Their primary objectives are units like Devastators, Heavy Weapon Squads, IG Platoon Command Squads, Dark Reapers, etc. Units that generally sit at the back of the board away from everything, those are the things my Flayed Ones love to flay

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

I've never used flayed ones, so my contribution here is kind of limited. However, i can answer the anti-question, why not.

firstly: I don't have any. (note to self- try the flayed one/ immortal warrior conversions)

Secondly: Their attacks are sadly lacking. I've always felt that they lacked enough hitting power to do enough damage, and a lone powerfist spells their doom. Away from the phalanx, a res orb will not be helping these guys out.

They just seem a little vulnerable, and comparatively easy points towards phase out.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wheeee my favorites!
    I tested them a couple of times, sometimes they were lame, sometimes they did awesome (like destroying a unit of Wraithguards, while sustaining just one casualty)!
    I always fielded them in a unit of 5, though an extra or two would help a lot...
    Dunno, maybe there are much better stuff to take than Flayed Ones, but I like them a lot, and one more thing: most of your opponents won't be expecting them!
    Necrons W0/D0/L0 Dwarfs W10/D2/L6 (8th edition)

http://hobby-fun-zone.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

My opinion on them is poor. I've used them a grand total of 3 times (one squad of and each time they were shot to bits before entering any type of combat. Even with infiltrate I'm just not sure about them. I haven't tried infiltrating, but then again I didn't want to bring them in on a side where usually ALL of their troops tend to be and have them get nailed.
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

My backpack has JETS! Ravendove's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    545 (x8)

I've also had some success fielding a Necron Lord with Warscythe and Gaze of Flame (and RO, obviously) with a unit of 9 Flayed Ones. The Lord carries a lot of kick with him and the GoF meshes nicely with the Flayed One's special rules. It's worth a try - they're not quite Pariah, but if you're after some CC then they're a worth addition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I usually infiltrate them in some cover, so with their Move Through Cover they can easily assault anything without getting shot!
    Necrons W0/D0/L0 Dwarfs W10/D2/L6 (8th edition)

http://hobby-fun-zone.blogspot.com/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So far I've only used flayed ones once, though that might change within a couple games, and I had 6 (small game) with a Warscythe/Nightmare Shroud/Chronometron Lord
    The Lord had most of the killing power, but the flayed ones had some decent power in their own, and were a massive fire sink (when zombie-robots wearing your buddy's skin charge at you from the shadows of the ruins next to you, there is a tendency to open up on them with everything) and holding off from making this a CC Lord thread, I'll just say that I wished that I had more flayed ones, as in regular combat they seemed kinda light on the attacks, but were death on wheels at the charge!

Especially useful against (in my opinion) IGs on the whole and other shooty armies especially are vulnerable to them (I can just imagine them appearing right next to the Fire warrior gun line and wreaking havoc (or at very least letting the rest of your phalanx continue advancing unmolested.

Be careful of CC units though, because I'm not sure how well they'll stand up to a charge of Assualt marines, or howling banshees, as they'll be all alone and when you're deep striking, there's nobody around to hear you scream! (or help you make WBBs)

+ Reply to Thread