How many Troops to be competitive? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How many Troops to be competitive?

Hi Guys,

Just trying to write a 1750 list for an upcoming tourney.

Wondering how many troops you take (and what type) to make a competitive list.

Currently my list has 2 sniper squads and 4 gunboats, but i was thinking about removing the sniper squads for a squad of incubi. Not too sure if this will be gimping the list too much as this will leave me fairly low on the scoring unit side of things.

I've never played a tournament before, and i'm a very casual player (one game a month or so.) I want the list to be as competitive as possible, so i can just learn to play it.

I've always had trouble keeping the warriors on boats alive, so i'm reluctant to ditch the two snipers.

The rest of the list for reference is:

Archon (Shadow field, Drugs, Agoniser, Pistol)
    Drachite (Agoniser, Drugs) with wych retinue, x8, wych weapons Succ with agoniser, plasma, on raider with fex
    wyches x8, succ with agoniser, plasma, wych weapons, on raider with fex
    2 snipers
    4 gunboats (8 man, blaster, cannon, fex on raider)
    2 ravagers with dissie
    ravager with DL's.
    (40 points to spare)

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Praeda; June 24th, 2009 at 06:36. Reason: Added numbers and gear

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

40 points... whenever I make a list, I wind up with this unfriendly figure at my first attempt.

I like to take 1 sniper squad. That will free up 140. Would you consider the sybarite/ago upgrade? Warriors have got good initiative and would multi-purpose your gun boats if you got desperate to bind other infantry.

Another ravager could be brought or a Talos instead and you could add the extra points in to your sniper squad to beef it up and avoid leadership tests if they take a hit. Talos won't win you a battle but if he distracts fire from your raiders for a turn then its job is done.

Or you could take one nice big foot slogging unit of warriors for bait. I like footsloggers and counter punching off their miserable sacrifice.

140 will also give you another raider squad.

Or you could stick with your list as is and give haywire grenades to your wyches. You never know, they just might come in handy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    65 (x1)

Usually take at least 5 raider squads. 2 9 man, 2 more 8 or 9 man and one 5 man with lance.
    I would love to take 6, but I need the points elsewere.
    Podcast and Blog
    Youtube Channel
    Twitt-errr... @ Skari2

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Praeda View Post
    Wondering how many troops you take (and what type) to make a competitive list.
    Hard to say, since you haven’t fully fleshed out your original army list.

If you could give a more detailed description of exactly what the numbers, option and upgrades you have then I am sure we can all give our opinions.

Thanks.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Wow.
    This is surprisingly similar to my 1500 point list.

The one exception being that I don't have the squad of wyches with drachite and I also have 3 dissies on all of my Ravagers. Trust me when you know how to use it its a very good list.

Your unit of wyches with a dracite may be a very good idea now that the dracite can function more as an extra sybrite than a seperate entity and makes me want to try it out.

What do you have your archon equiped with?
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Ok, now you have edited your list I would probably add a Haemonculi with a Destructor, that equal exactly 40 points. But where to put him?

Since you have 4 eight man gunboats why not there and add the flamer template to the shooty goodness whilst on board or you could just simply disembark him to run solo when it suits.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Am I reading this right? A dracite, and I really like her concept, is not an HQ choice and works like a sybarite? Have I missed a DE update (panic)!?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

DEfan, i think what they are saying is that the squad of wyches the dracite is with functions as her retinue. Therefore she can not be singled out, much like a succubus can not be singled out.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

I used to be gearing up for the US GT in Vegas but now that they cancelled it I am playing mostly 2,000 points. What I noticed in my list designing that a 2k list is just a beefed up 1750 list and it doesn’t always equate to more “troop” choices. So 1750 or 2000 I have been running the same amount of troops. My general outline is:

Wych Cult (which would be my choice tourney list) troop selection is set at 5. I found this would be the minimum for my style of play and found going to 6 squads a bit too demanding and made the list weaker. I found that with 5 squads I usually always out number my opponents troop choices and even if I dedicate (sacrifice) 2 wych squads to kill the enemy troop choices that the remaining 3 was enough to draw or win with.

Wych Cult list looks like this:

Archite (targeting troops)
    Dracite (targeting troops)
    2 Raider Squads (blitzing, sacrificial skirmishers)
    5 Wych Squads (trails, shadows raider squads)
    2 Bike Squads (turbo “in-your-face” tank hunters)
    3 Ravagers (targeting tanks, transports & MC’s)

With a Kabal, I found having at least 4 raider squads and 2 warrior squads for a total of 6 scoring units to be comfortable for my style of play. I might drop both foot warrior squads to add 1 more raider squad but I have a fixed number of raider models to use so I tend to use the other raider or raiders for the elite spots.

Archon
    Dracon, Dracite or Haemonculi
    2 Wych squads or 2 Grotesque squads (blitzing, sacrificial skirmishers)
    4 Raider Squads (mostly fire support, stays on board)
    2 Warrior Squads (14 man sniper squad and/or 10 man, 2 cannons, 2 blasters and a Sybarite with blades or agoniser)
    2 Talos & 1 Ravager (3 lance)
    Or
    3 Ravagers

My feelings on the scoring units is that you must maintain a healthy amount of scoring units to weather the losses you will incur with having armor made of paper and your troop choices being T3 and “squishy”. Your typical Marine lists that I have faced in the last month or so average around 3 or 4, 2 being somewhat common and 5 being pretty rare. I have seen many Eldar lists with only 3 choices, Necrons with 2 and from there on nobody tends to sport the full 6 or even 5 troop choices.

How I use the troop choices is another issue altogether. I like to use the HQ and Elite slots to rush and pre-occupy the enemy while the troops in raider tag behind and charge or support the HQ/Elites. In certain games I will put a 1 or 2 troop choices into reserve if I feel I could lose them too early – those are usually foot squads that will just move onto the board and claim the closest objective.

So that’s the design I use, 2 or 3 units on average for rushing and causing distractions (in your face) while the troop choices pick and choose their targets and provide support. With the troop selections not being the main assault force they are in a better position to play the mission later in the game. Wyches however are a little more tricky as they are the main assault force but believe it or not I try to shoot as much as possible in the opening turns and time the wyches charges for the 3rd turn and hoping to finish off their targets to get into scoring position by the 5th.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey Kwikwag, roughly how many wyches/jetbikes do you have per squad in your cult list?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast