New guy, but has a crazy idea - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New guy, but has a crazy idea

Hello, I'm new to the hobby and this forum. I've been reading the posts and some general info on the gloriously AWESOME Necrons! I'm gonna order the codex and the Phalanx (thanks to some recommendations from this forum). I like Necrons cause each unit has it's own specialty and the squads are not made out of the same units with the exception of one or two guys with different weapons (SM, though I respect the characters in-universe). I intend to get some Immortals and a lot of Wraiths. I'll also get another lord (I don't know if I should get a destroyer or not) and might drop the monolith from the list. I was hoping to use the warrior/lord/Immortal phalanx to hold objectives and lay down fire, then use wraiths and destroyers/scarabs to kill characters and vehicles. I can't wait for the new Codex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    324 (x8)

Welcome to the Tomb Sithcron! Always glad to have a new enthusiast around.

Phalanx is, as you've read, a great start. Wraiths are a fun unit to use, and if you want lots of them, take a Destroyer Lord to be the nasty surprise inside. Wraithwing is a rather strong tactic. And phalanx will seldom let you down. I think the list wil serve you well if anything else. But make sure you try out multiple different armies, this MAY lead to spending some extra money...but it's very fun.

Honestly i've got a very similar list lined up that I hope to test out this weekend. If you have any ideas, throw them up in the list-subforum and I can take a look.

Enjoy your stay!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, I've been price shopping and if the 5 Wraith squad rumors are true, I'm gonna be dropping serious cash. I was wondering if you know any good ways to set up games with other players or am I just stuck going to Games Workshop stores on play days? Thanks for the warm welcome, for a bunch of soulless, life-hating, undead robots, the Necron players are a pretty friendly bunch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LOTS AND LOTS of destroyers man. theres no other way to put it then to say they are the balls of the necron army. and if you wanna drop the monolith i suggest having 3 tomb spyders on the field just because they are pretty good substitute for the monolith. and wraiths are freaken awsome looken and fun to play with, but if you want wraiths in my opinion, you gotta have a ccouple of flayed ones wanderen around to back them up because there pretty soft units to play with

PS. the thing about necrons is you really really really need to read over your codex 3 or 4 times before you fully understand them, ive read it cover to cover atleast 10 times and im still figuring stuff out!

anyways good luck, welcome to the static tombs
    ----------
    oh and check ebay, get some great deals

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

As far as getting games goes you will have to go to your local GW to start with. Once you start making friends with some local players then games can really start to happen in the home environment. You will want to play a few games at GW as it is a "safe" place too, and will help you filter out the people you wouldnt want entering your house.

Good luck and happy gaming
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, I can't wait to get my codex. I was worried about the flayed ones slowing down the wraiths, but then I remembered the scouting thing. So I have 2 cc units that don't use up the same slot (no agonizing over which to use!), can cause havoc, tie up enemies, and maybe kill a few. That gives me time to get the shooters in position and the wraiths in to the kill. I was worried about the destroyers taking up Fast Attack slots. I wonder, would it be a good idea to have two army lists? Each with a lord and 2 squads of warriors, and one with wraiths for Fast attack and the other with destroyers and maybe scarabs for Fast Attack. Then I would have a res orb lord with the phalanx and run a pincer movement or hit and run with the wraiths and destroyers and a destroyer lord with warscythe and orb. I was hoping to run without a monolith (unless I grow to really love the heavy armor option) and use spyders to keep the shooters on their feet.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

In general people don't use 2 force org charts in a game. I've never done that or seen it done in the last 10 years. While the option is available (I think anyway) it just doesn't happen. If your opponent allows it then go ahead. I'm not sure you will be allowed though.
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

it seems as if you have alot of battle logic so i think youll turn out to be an ass kicking player,

good luck bringing doom to your adveseries

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To NovaJohn, thank you for the warning! I was reading the rulebook and I couldn't find anything directly against it, so I'll definately have to check. The reason I was hoping to do that was so I could bring more FA to the table. I'm pretty sure the guy I'll be playing most often won't mind thankfully. He plays SM Raven Guard so I hope to be able to deal with his jumping assualt squads.

To Necrons, thank you I'm really flattered. I used to play Magic: the Gathering and I liked being able to make my own deck and really mess with the opponent (in a friendly manner of course). I hope to do the same thing in Warhammer 40k, but now the ridiculous amount of cash I drop won't be sitting in a box when not in use, it gets to look cool on a shelf!

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x5)

Well, personally the necrons don't have much customization to them. 15 destroyers, a ctan, monolith, etc... lots of warriors. Typical list, else wraithwing, flayed ones, etc. So if you're looking major customization Necrons aren't your thing. Their strength has been Guass and WBB (which makes them very durable as long as you get those rolls).

Don't get me wrong, I love my Necrons (mainly because I got the whole army at a steal and they're a unique army), but they're definitely weakened until our codex gets updated (you have no idea how much I've been dying to hear an official date!)

FYI: I'm quite a bit buzzed atm...
    "There is only do, or do not. There is no try." - Yoda

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast