Help With Black Templars - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help With Black Templars

Hello All

I'm new to playing Tau and have a question. What do you guys do to reliably kill MEQ infantry? My main problem is against other armies I can see how we can effectively kill infantry with massed firewarrior fire and many of our other weapons. However my main question is how we effectively eliminate the 3+ or higher packing dudes. Especially when they will be coming down the table in 2 Landraiders, and every time you inflict a wound they come ever closer.

The obvious thing is to eliminate the entire unit before they assault. I'm just wondering how you experts do it.

For the Greater Good please part with some of your wisdom.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Railguns, crisis suits, kroot, and piranhas are my tools of choice.

Railguns blow up land raider crusaders first, Rhinos 2nd, targets of opportunity (e.g., land speeders, terminators) after that.

Crisis suits will preferably be fireknives, so missile pods can pop transports and then slaughter the exposed troops with low-AP plasma fire after.

Push pairs of piranha directly in the path of large footslogger Crusader squads. Force them to either go around or engage them in assault. This can slow them down considerably if done properly.

Kroot should be heavily enriched with Hounds. Infiltrate them to intercept large units and put wounds on them. Ideally hold, perhaps even win, combats. This works best when you've thinned the marines down a bit first, of course. If you're facing big 20-model mobs of Crusaders, you should have an easy time dropping railgun submumitions and missiles on them. When your kroot are ready to assault -- and have at least two units if you can -- make sure your plasma rifles are in range to really put the hurt on just before the Kroot charge in. A unit of 10 Kroot and just 6 Hounds generates an astounding 48 attacks on the charge and stand a good chance of at least holding up a unit of about 10 marines, if not defeating them outright.

If the Kroot lose, you still have a depleted unit of Marines that you can then shoot off the table. Maybe drop a unit of fire warriors out of their devilfish to seal their final fate right at the end.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like everything you said number6 except about the Kroot...I have a blatant intolerance of Kroot, I don’t know if its the models, or the lack of funny elongated hats (Last army was Eldar) but using them in the army just doesn’t sit right with me....

So in keeping with what you've said would it be wise to purchase two separate Piranhas and give them flachettes.... and how can the fire knives use the missiles to shoot the rhino and the plasma rifle in the same turn, sorry if that’s not what you meant.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Just so you know, forgoing Kroot makes your job much harder. Without any combat units in the army, Tau struggle. We're not really all that fast, just extremely mobile. Kroot give the Tau army the ability to more easily control when and where assaults occur, and even give Tau the opportunity to win the occasional close combat ... once the enemy has been properly prepared for it first, of course.

Without Kroot, I would put flechettes on all vehicles -- piranhas included -- at least giving some opponents slight pause before they choose to assault our skimmers. Against horde/footslogging armies, piranhas are best used to block enemy movement. You need at lesat two working together -- do keep them in separate force org slots if you can -- to make this a viable tactic. Keep them just over 2" apart so no enemy models can move between them, and they can effectively block nearly a foot of space, giving you the ability to funnel the enemy where/when you like. They must either do that or waste time attacking your piranhas, giving you yet more game turns to shoot Shoot SHOOT! If you can or are willing to field two groups of 2 piranhas (probably 2 teams of 2 because you're running pathfinders, right?) that'd be helpful. You can potentially wall off close to 2 feet of board space with those four vehicles. Quite a pain in the neck for most enemies.

Regarding the fireknives, I was just saying that the missile pods and plasma rifles serve two different primary purposes. Plasma rifles can pop light armour, too, just not as reliably as missile pods. MPs not only have the STR advantage, they have the range advantage. When killing infantry, MPs have great STR, but they don't wound most enemy infantry any better than plasma rifles, but PRs have the superior AP. You can fire both at the same time each turn if you have multi-trackers, of course (and you should always have MTs), I was just talking about what weapon typically gets used for which purpose.

You can't pop a transport with the MPs and then hit the exposed infantry with the PRs in the same turn with the same crisis suit unit, obviously. But that's why you field multiple teams of fireknives. One pops the transport and the other burns the infantry. Markerlights increase the BS of the infantry-burning unit and deny the exposed infantry cover saves from the plasma rifles.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Honestly your paragraph on Paranhas has helped me more then most of the tacticas I've read on the things. Thanks I have a couple ideas on how to deal with it now...I'll probably post a BATREP when the games done.

Thanks Number 6

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My anti-MEQ squad is my Helios Shas'el + 2 bodyguard.

At 12" I have 6 Plasma shots, and 3 fusion shots. Generally all are hitting on 2's, and wounding on 2's. Thats roughly 6-7 dead per turn. Outside of cover of course. Tie that in with support fire from Railguns-pie plates and pulse rifle shots, I can take down the closest squads each turn.

+ Reply to Thread