Tormentor Helm? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tormentor Helm?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

Tormentor Helm?

So I started a Dark Eldar army not long ago and wile I thought the codex would seem dated I loved the idea of the army and have come to find the book to be very enjoyable as a matter of fact. Now I was always under the assumption the Tormentor Helm was just +1 attack as I'm only the second person I know who even plays Dark Eldar and one was a guy I met one time out of town and never even played against. Anyways I read up on it while I was skimming through the codex and it just says it counts as a second close combat weapon even for two handed weapons. So does this mean if I had the Tormentor Helm and a Splinter Pistol I would only get the +1 attack bonus or do I get +2 if the both are paired off with an Agoniser?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In fact the Tormentor Helm is a helm mounted mind controlled Splinter Pistol. It allows a +1 attack in close combat with either a 2-handed or a 1-handed close combat weapon because you do not have to hold it. You can not receive more than a +1 for having an "extra" close combat weapon. So no, even though for some reason you wanted the Tormentor Helm Splinter Pistol and a hand held Splinter Pistol you can only ever make up to a +1 bonus attack, multiples do not stack.
    Eyes without life, maggot-ridden corpses, mountains of skulls.
    These are some of my favourite things.
    - Dracon Borkor

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

*Ah, I just got ninja'd by Alethe!

You were on the right track for part of it - the helm provides the extra attack for 2-handed weapons, that's it (as well as counting as a splinter pistol in case you wanted shoot your target first).

As for the latter part of your post the punisher + helm + a pistol do not stack. Agoniser and a pistol will grant you the +1 attack. Agoniser and the helm will grant you the +1 attack. But taking the agoniser, helm and a pistol do not give you anything more (just a +1A) the helm is wasted as you can only ever get +1 for a ccw.

So use the helm for punisher lords that can't have a ccw and use the helm if you are on a bike with a punisher.
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Page 37 BRB tells me that you get +1 attack for ‘two single handed weapons’ and that you only ever get one extra attack even though you have more than two weapons.

The Tormentor Helm entry (page 18 DE Codex) tells you the meaning of what its does in the game – it gives the model the +1 attack for an additional close combat weapon regardless of the hand count of the other weapon.

So it’s never a +2 gained just from any Tormentor Helm/ weapon combinations – you will need a charge bonus/combat drug etc to gain that.

The original purpose of the Tormentor Helm for Dark Eldar was to supply an extra attack when both hands were occupied elsewhere e.g. like the old Reaver Jetbike rules or carrying a two handed weapon like a Punisher/Hellglaive/Splinter Rifle.

The Helm was cleverly never classed as a weapon (its simply wargear) so it would never conflict with any other weapon but its restriction is that its use duplicates part of the close combat weapons rules of the +1 attack.

Welcome to Codex Dark Eldar!
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm, whilst I'm here, similar note - does that mean it can be fired as if it was a Splinter pistol, or is that just part of the fluff? Is the only effect being able to get the additional hand weapon CC attack?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

Yes, it can be fired like a splinter pistol.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

I feel like the new Dark Eldar codex, when created, should classify the Tormentor Helm as a simple +1 attack in close combat. The Tormentor Helm is, after all, the cousin of the Striking Scorpions' Mandiblasters and it would only make sense for it to serve the same purpose.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Lost Nemesis View Post
    I feel like the new Dark Eldar codex, when created, should classify the Tormentor Helm as a simple +1 attack in close combat. The Tormentor Helm is, after all, the cousin of the Striking Scorpions' Mandiblasters and it would only make sense for it to serve the same purpose.
    The drama that I see is that the Incubi is 9 points dearer than the Scorpion, can’t be fielded as a unit by itself, can’t fleet and has an upgrade Character that is hideously expensive and yet you want to take an ability away from them?
    Where is the sense in that?

I agree that it would streamline the rules but surely you would agree that something else must be improved to balance all of this out for the points cost involved.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

I think lost nemisis is saying that itis just a falt +1A instead of a +1a two CC weapons so not really a negative.

The issue is that back when this was made the mandiblasters actually gave +1s i believe.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    29 (x1)

The T-Helm is also usefull i you want to equipped your archon with the agoniser and the poison blades.
    You will not gain the extra attack if you use the poison blades, but if you use your agoniser you'll still get the +1 Attack, so no losses ;-)

I use that on my pirat Archon, as Pirats always have lots of weapons!
    great against orks. Waaghboss without +4 armour save or 5+Inv-Save? take the poison!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast