New to 40k/Nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to 40k/Nids

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New to 40k/Nids

As the title says, I'm new to 40k and Nids as a whole. I've tried to read up as much as possible before posting so as to not make a total fool of myself, but I had some questions and thoughts that some of you experienced players may have insight on:

1. When I initially picked up the Nids codex, I fell in love with the Broodlord + Stealer retinue. However, the more I read, the more it seemed like the Broodlord + Stealer retinue was just way too expensive points-wise. The unit loses fleet, and the stealers are so pricey it seems like they would maybe get to toast one unit and then get eaten by bolter fire. Do Broodlords get a lot of play in competitive games?

2. I was originally going for a 'stealer army, but again, their point cost seemed to be so prohibitive. Also, it doesnt make much sense to plant them on objectives since they have no ranged weaponry. I decided not to use them in favor of a more shooty Nidzilla build.

3. How do you guys get around the Synapse/Instinctive behavior rules? I was originally leaning towards Zoanthropes with Warp Blast/Synapse Creature to babysit my broods, but other forums hated on them pretty bad, citing that their average BS and the blast template were just too inaccurate. What do you guys recommend?

Sorry, I'm full of questions, and mostly I just want to be able to give my marine-playing friend a sound defeat when we play lol. Knowledge is power and all that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1. Most competitive tyranid lists use as many monstrous creatures as possible therefore they can't fit the broodlord in because they have Hive tyrants as HQ. In general I don't think broodlords are that good, a Hive tyrant makes a much better HQ choice.

2. Good choice, Nidzilla>stealer shock. Nidzilla can also be run as close combat army just as effectively as shooty nidzilla. Its just personal preference which one you go for.

3. Carnifexes are fearless so don't take instinctive behaviour tests. The only units you need to worry about are gaunts, by using without number you can use gaunts to take objectives without the need for synapse. In the first few turns of the game they will be advancing forward using synapse from hive tyrants. Towards the end of the game your gaunt broods will have hopefully been wiped out so you can bring them back onto your objective. Units entering from reserve ignore instinctive behaviour on the turn they arrive, so they can count as a scoring unit even though they are out of synapse range.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    126 (x4)

Just a bit on synapse.

I take 2 HTs and 3 zoanthropes. Just b/c you can take a third power with a zoanthrope doesn't mean you have to. I've often run 3 thropes with just synapse. They usually get ignored because they have not offensive powers, and even if they do get targeted it does take a bit to bring one of them down.
    Tim Wright

"The internet perceives censorship as damage, and routes around it."
    -John Gilmore

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by jarzola View Post
    As the title says, I'm new to 40k and Nids as a whole. I've tried to read up as much as possible before posting so as to not make a total fool of myself, but I had some questions and thoughts that some of you experienced players may have insight on:

1. When I initially picked up the Nids codex, I fell in love with the Broodlord + Stealer retinue. However, the more I read, the more it seemed like the Broodlord + Stealer retinue was just way too expensive points-wise. The unit loses fleet, and the stealers are so pricey it seems like they would maybe get to toast one unit and then get eaten by bolter fire. Do Broodlords get a lot of play in competitive games?

2. I was originally going for a 'stealer army, but again, their point cost seemed to be so prohibitive. Also, it doesnt make much sense to plant them on objectives since they have no ranged weaponry. I decided not to use them in favor of a more shooty Nidzilla build.

3. How do you guys get around the Synapse/Instinctive behavior rules? I was originally leaning towards Zoanthropes with Warp Blast/Synapse Creature to babysit my broods, but other forums hated on them pretty bad, citing that their average BS and the blast template were just too inaccurate. What do you guys recommend?

Sorry, I'm full of questions, and mostly I just want to be able to give my marine-playing friend a sound defeat when we play lol. Knowledge is power and all that.
    1. Yes, the broodlord and stealer retinue is quite expensive, but it works quite well I find. If you have 2 carnifex's and a Tyrant, you can outflank (pg. 94 at the bottom of the main rule book), then work your way up to the enemy using lots of cover. Also the broodlord is a sweet model, and is lots of fun to play with in frendly games.

2. Yes, I have to agree with you. Even genestealer shock armies have monstrous creatures in them because genestealers are not enough.

3. I think Zoanthropes are quite good at babysitting broods, as they are very hard to kill. Tyrants are also quite good, but most people now days tend to lean to warriors for synapse.

No need to be sorry, you have some very good questions. I remember when I first picked up the rules book it seemed very complicated and confusing, but you will remember everything and understand everything over time. I recommend to get a good grasp of the rules is to play games (obviously), but also read as many battle reports as you can and red the codex and rule book over and over and over again.

I hope my advice helped. Make sure you keep your mind open to all advice (not only mine), and enjoy this hobby!
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

+ Reply to Thread