Irridium armor - The worst piece of wargear? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Irridium armor - The worst piece of wargear?

So after having completed the Arena of Death tournament for HQ's, I was thinking about which pieces of wargear and which weapons seemed to work the best (admittedly in a microcosm). The Missile Pod and the Plasma Rifle were phenomenally effective, but we all knew that already anyway, so I started to think about the defensive upgrades that were taken. Shield drones ruled the day, but as far as secondary defensive tech, I really think that the winner was Stim injectors and the loser was Irridium armor (even though the dude wearing irridium won the whole thing )

Consider the following,
    Irridium armor grants a 2+ save
    Stims offer a re-roll on a 4+

Mathematically they both offer the same chance to fail a wound, 1 out 6. (a third minus a half for the stims)

Neither can be used against AP 1 or 2
    How many super high strength weapons aren't ap 1 or 2, so instakill isn't really a consideration.
    and the Stims cost half the points of the Irridium. HALF THE POINTS

The real kicker though is that the stims do not affect your assault movement, the biggest downside to the Irridium.

Now that I have properly thought about it (and I know most people don't anyway) but why on earth would someone ever take Irridium armor, when Stims do the same thing only better, at half the cost.

Rant over.

Dave

I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

I've actually never seen someone take Iridium alone. it takes one of two things to make it good: Either shield drones (thus conferring on THEM the extra armor) or Stims (reducing wound chance to 1/12 for anything AP3 or worse). I usually see all 3 options pop up on a Relay'O or Shield'O, but rarely if ever in any other situation.
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

If it's nothing more than an either-or choice ... yeah, gaining the Feel No Pain special rule is preferable to having a 2+ save. Especially considering the points costs involved.

But if you're willing to be spendy, taking both is undeniably better than taking just one or the other.
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is one reason why is use it: When my HQ get a 2+ save, so do his shield drones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I don't take the armor because a) you lose your extra 6" in th eassault phase and b) I'm fine with J-S-J for portection and c) a 2+ save still can be punched through.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

take both the armour and feel no pain with 2 shield drones and watch him just absorb fire! seriously it works soooo very very well
    Dont Look Back... Something Might Be Gaining ;-)
    Tau 1500 (in progress) win/draw/loss 3/1/0

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

i use the armor with a shield generator upgrade. i dont use a tau commander for assault. in general i dont use tau for assault unless there is no other choice.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    128 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave
    How many super high strength weapons aren't ap 1 or 2, so instakill isn't really a consideration.
    Ever heard of Krak Missiles? Battle Cannons? Barbed Stranglers? Venom Cannons? Someone hasn't gotten out of their codex in a while...

Quote Originally Posted by chaosjacob
    There is one reason why is use it: When my HQ get a 2+ save, so do his shield drones
    I second this. Add him to a high-priority squad and take the above listed shots on the 2+ savers, and take AP1 and AP2 on any worse saves on the non-2+ shield drones and mooks. It will greatly improve the survivability of the squad.

And consider this: both upgrades double the individual's survivability, but Iridium armour greatly increases the commander's survivability against many specific weapons like the ones listed above, whereas the stimulant injector does not.

The drawback to Iridium Armour is the randomized assault move. This matters a lot to some, however I personally find that the full 6" isn't necessary if you plan properly. I've never been in a situation where I would have been screwed by a shorter assault jump. It scares people that something they rely on changes with this piece of wargear, however people don't realize how little they depend upon it.

The Iridium Armour works on all wounds that the Stimulant Injector works on, but the Stimulant Injector does not work on all wounds that the Iridium Armour works on. The Iridium armour extends durability beyond the equipped individual, whereas the Stimulant Injector does not. So the question is, why aren't you getting the Iridium Armour?
    My gaming group's new motto: That army you're using is overpowered because it hurts my guys, codex is broken and needs a rewrite.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

lLonginus
    The Iridium Armour works on all wounds that the Stimulant Injector works on, but the Stimulant Injector does not work on all wounds that the Iridium Armour works on. The Iridium armour extends durability beyond the equipped individual, whereas the Stimulant Injector does not. So the question is, why aren't you getting the Iridium Armour?
    he has a fine point on that one. ill tell you im happy with my set up for my tau battle suit commander and he has the ex.armor system.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lLonginus View Post
    The drawback to Iridium Armour is the randomized assault move. This matters a lot to some, however I personally find that the full 6" isn't necessary if you plan properly. I've never been in a situation where I would have been screwed by a shorter assault jump. It scares people that something they rely on changes with this piece of wargear, however people don't realize how little they depend upon it.
    There is more to the assault move than simply getting away from another unit. The assault move effectively gives the XV8 a 12" range which is useful in covering ground to gain LOS or get into range. A 1" move can make the difference between getting that LOS or into weapons range. The reverse also applies the assault move is useful for putting that extra bit of distance between an opponent’s weapons and the XV8 which many times puts them out of range or out of LOS.
    If you do not have the IA you know exactly what movement you have and can plan movement accordingly, with the IA you are never sure what you are going to roll, so you have to plan using the minimum distance because that 1” is always a possibility.
    The move also helps because we can utilise the JSJ move to get behind cover to deny LOS or gain valuable cover saves.
    The other problem with the IA is it restricts the whole unit if the bearer joins or is a part of a unit, so it makes it much harder to keep said unit safe by utilising the assault move.

If you have an XV88 unit that is pretty static then it is a good idea to put a Shas'El Fireknife with IA and two Shield Drones with them. Attach the El to the unit, give the XV88 team leader two Shield Drones and you have suits with 2+ saves and 4 Drones with 2+ saves and the same toughness. Very tough and the IA movement restriction is irrelevant.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast