Returning to nids - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Returning to nids

Hi everyone.

Looking to return to playing 40k.
    I keep telling myself to start playing again, but never get around to it.

Im an old 2nd/3rd edition player.
    Played a tiny bit of 4th edition.
    Recently got the 5th edition book, and had a bit of a read. Still yet to play a game using them though.

Do the tyranids have a 5th edition codex?
    Or do they still use the 4th edition one?

I think the last game i played was under the 4th edition rules with the 3rd edition codex.

I realise the rending ability is screwed now.
    Are genestealers still a viable selection for the bulk troop choice?

I think i have a hive tyrant, 28 termagaunts, 3 warriors, 3 zoanthropes, about 10 ripper bases, and something like 90 genestealers.

Whats compeditive these days with tyranids?

Im not looking to enter any major tournaments or anything, but i want to be able to win the occasional social game.
    My playgroup are the kind of people that like to brag about wins, so i would like to be able to silence them half the time.

Any tactics or effective equipment choices would be very much appreciated.

If the stuff that i have is not enough to build an effective army, then i am more than happy to spend another ~$500, and sell off some of my space marines if $500 isnt enough.

Cheers guys.
    Looking forward to playing a couple of games again, its been a few years.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tyranids are still on a fourth edition codex but there's rumoured to be a new one in the works.
    Genestealers are till decent, rending may have lost some power but they can now get rerolls to hit for 1 point per model (feeder tendrils). I think nidzilla (as many monstrous creatures as possible) is the most competitive build.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    75 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by joebloggs1987 View Post
    Do the tyranids have a 5th edition codex?
    Or do they still use the 4th edition one?
    It's still the 4th ed, but as graphica said, there's rumored to be a new one in the works, possibly for release early next year.

I realise the rending ability is screwed now.
    Are genestealers still a viable selection for the bulk troop choice?
    Some people do run stealer shock armies using primarily stealers and a broodlord. I'm not sure how effective these are though. I've always found stealers too delicate for their point to be used as a mainstay. Mostly I just use them outflanking to freak out my opponent or a naked squad or two behind my gaunt shield.

I think i have a hive tyrant, 28 termagaunts, 3 warriors, 3 zoanthropes, about 10 ripper bases, and something like 90 genestealers.
    Pretty solid start. I would recommend buying more gaunts though, because with the new cover rules your opponent has to choose to shoot them, or the genestealers/warriors behind with the 4+ cover save.

Whats compeditive these days with tyranids?
    The most recommended list for competitiveness is a nidzilla (2 tyrants and 6 fexes) but I find that a balanced list with a little of everything works pretty well.

Any tactics or effective equipment choices would be very much appreciated.
    I would recommend looking around the forum a bit and checking out the lists people are using nowadays. If you go about 5 pages back in the forum, there is a series of excellent tacticas for 5th ed that outline the pros and cons of each unit as well as effective kit-outs.

If the stuff that i have is not enough to build an effective army, then i am more than happy to spend another ~$500, and sell off some of my space marines if $500 isnt enough.
    I don't think that that much is needed, but you'd do well to get another gaunt box or two and a couple carnifexes.

Good luck and welcome back into the swarm!

+ Reply to Thread