Cover for Wraith lords - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cover for Wraith lords

Hi just a quick question, would you guys say that a wrait lord gets a gover save from a line of wraith guards or a vyper parked in front of it?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rule for monstrous characters is pretty clear on the cover rules. The model needs to be at least 50% covered by the obstacle to obtain a cover save from it.

Wraithlords are pretty big so a number of things will not give them cover. It is very situational though so always have a look from the point of view of those firing and look at your wraithlord, if he is half covered at least then he gets a cover save, if he is only partially covered he does not. if it is debatable if he is covered or not, take a cover save at -1.

always check from the POV of the person shooting,

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    34 (x1)

As wraithlords are pretty tall and top-heavy (mass wise) I would say its a pretty far stretch to give them a cover save from wraithguard. Maybe from the vyper, if it is positioned perfectly. But personally I'd say no for both (maybe 5+ for vyper).
    Army: W/L/D -- Eldar 6/2/2; Orks 1/3/0; BA 1/1/0

The Tale of Two Gamers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I would definitely allow the full cover save from the vyper, although not from the wraithguards. The way i play, i think makes it very simple and fair for each army. Any regular sized base offers cover to the same size or medium sized bases. Any medium sized bases offers cover to the same size, or large sized bases (excluding swarms obviously). Large gives cover to other large sized bases, and any monstrous creature or tank blocks line of sight entirely. If it has a base (excluding skimmers) i always use that to decide for cover saves, unless the base itself is covered by a low wall or something. Then that's when i use the majority of the models torso. I think playing like that makes it fair for both sides, especially if models have been build in alsorts of dynamic poses.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Anarkhia666 View Post
    I would definitely allow the full cover save from the vyper, although not from the wraithguards. The way i play, i think makes it very simple and fair for each army. Any regular sized base offers cover to the same size or medium sized bases. Any medium sized bases offers cover to the same size, or large sized bases (excluding swarms obviously). Large gives cover to other large sized bases, and any monstrous creature or tank blocks line of sight entirely. If it has a base (excluding skimmers) i always use that to decide for cover saves, unless the base itself is covered by a low wall or something. Then that's when i use the majority of the models torso. I think playing like that makes it fair for both sides, especially if models have been build in alsorts of dynamic poses.
    That makes sense, you haven't advised what you would do with skimmers, which I would deem relevant as the question pertains to a vyper specifically.

It is best at the start of a match to declare with your opponent which method you will be using. The majority rule though is most prevalent and it is best to get to know it.

Wraithguards are small, Vypers are bigger but again it all depends on the angle the shot is coming from.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

In the case of skimmers, the majority rule would have to be used (unless it's a skimmer tank). If the vyper is directly infront from the incoming shot, then that should give the full cover save. Anything else would be debateable whether it gives enough for a 5+, or any cover save at all. It all depends on the situation really.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

All right, I assume with the skimmer tanks then blocks line of sight since you do not include it for coversaves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Exactly

A skimmer tank , when mounted on a base should cover most of a wraithlord anyway, from any shot directly infront of it. Although if it's not entirely within the line of sight drawn, then it's another case of deciphering the majority rule. That's how i play anyway to make it speedier, and reduce any arguements.

Although on the official rules it states that if you can see either the head, torso, legs or arms, then it can be targeted. Although i find that that can sometimes be a tad bit unfair on any dynamic models you might be wanting to field.

+ Reply to Thread