Idle thoughts on DE Vehicles - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    204 (x6)

Idle thoughts on DE Vehicles

Some cool stuff that's been floating around up in my head..

Raider Options:

Darkstar Engines +12 points
    The Raider may add 2D6" to it's Flat Out movement. If it moves 32" in a single turn, it will gain a 3+ cover save. The Raider will not be able to move Flat Out in the following turn.

Boarding Ramps +8 points
    Passengers in the Raider may assault any vehicle within 3" of it without disembarking. This is only possible if the Raider is not moving Flat Out.

Splinter Cannon -10 points
    Replaces the Raider's dark lance.

Stabilizers +15 points
    Passengers in the Raider treat Cruising Speed as Combat Speed for the purposes of shooting.

Impaling Ram +20 points
    The Raider is allowed to ram even though it is not a tank. The Impaling Ram adds +2 damage to any vehicle the Raider rams.

Ravager Options:

Assault Refit +5 points
    The Ravager gains a transport capacity of 6 and has side armor values of 10.

Let me know if you think any of these might be broken, as I may end up trying some of them out with my 40K club down the road (we all agree DE need a kick in the pants after our Tau player started to play well, consistently destroying the DE by turn 2 or 3).

Last edited by Krovin-Rezh; July 7th, 2009 at 10:10.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Raider Options:
    Darkstar Engines – Worded like Eldar Star Engines and they are just a ‘Run’ ability for vehicles.
    I like this one, it’s got randomness but not as much distance as the Eldar upgrade.

Boarding Ramps – Much like an Ork Boarding Plank, same rules though?

Splinter Cannon – If this replaces the Dark Lance then I would twin link it, have no points variance and model it to look like the Talos sting.

Stabilizers – I love this one and to me it’s a game breaker when using Gun Boats.

Ravager Options:

Assault Refit – I just don’t get this one at all, sorry. Maybe keep the armour and drop the number of guns down to Raider specs.

Impaling Ram – I believe that when the new Codex comes out a Ravager will be given the Tank classification anyway but just class it as a Fast Tank (no Ram needed) and simply use its speed as a bonus here.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

Thanks for the comments Wicky. The boarding plank is similar to what orks have, although it has an extra inch of range. They actually get it for only +5 points, so I should probably drop the price on that one.

I was thinking for the Splinter Cannon, it might be a good opportunity to actually make Raiders a little cheaper (-10 pts). Twin-linked would make it a better gun, but you'd only get a savings of 5 points in that case (linked weapon = 150% original weapon cost).

When I first got back into the game with 5th edition, I had missed the passenger rules for cruising speed. So I was actually playing as if my Raiders had stabilizers for a few games before figuring it out. That was fun! We didn't have any balance issues then, but I'll have to playtest the stabilizers against other armies to see whether it really breaks anything.

Assault Refit, could be a point saver if you want to transport, say a squad of 6 wyches, lord + retinue, or grotesques + haemonculus. They could also be a nice way to save nearby mini-sniper teams if they need to make a quick exit. The nice thing about that is you're giving up armor instead of firepower. We don't rely on our armor much anyway, so no big loss.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    42 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Krovin-Rezh View Post
    Darkstar Engines +10 points
    The Raider may add D6" to it's Flat Out movement. If it moves 30" in a single turn, it will gain a 3+ cover save. The Raider will not be able to move Flat Out in the following turn.
    I really like this one. The cover save might make it a little under priced, but the restriction on Turbo-Boosting next turn sort of balances it. Plus, the name is awesome.

Boarding Ramps +15 points
    Passengers in the Raider may assault any vehicle within 3" of it without disembarking. This is only possible if the Raider is not moving Flat Out.
    Cool concept but I'm not sure how useful it would be (except for haywire grenade-armed units) Could be useful for cc wyches to prevent getting shot to bits.

Cool.
    Stabilizers +15 points
    Passengers in the Raider treat Cruising Speed as Combat Speed for the purposes of shooting.
    Would this let them shoot their lances while moving at cruising speed? *checks rulebook*

Assault Refit +5 points
    This would make it like a fragile falcon with open-topped I guess. With the transported troops, It might get a bit expensive for one model.

Impaling Ram +20 points
    The Ravager is allowed to ram even though it is not a tank. The Impaling Ram adds +2 damage to any vehicle the Ravager rams.
    Cool, but extremely situational considering Ravagers can generally drop a tank in a round of shooting, or a light take if its armed with dissies.
    Kabal of the Twilight Blade - Host of Tecpatl - Salamanders 3rd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Krovin-Rezh View Post
    Some cool stuff that's been floating around up in my head..

Raider Options:

Darkstar Engines +10 points
    The Raider may add D6" to it's Flat Out movement. If it moves 30" in a single turn, it will gain a 3+ cover save. The Raider will not be able to move Flat Out in the following turn.

Ours should be the 12 like Eldar have, we need additional speed, after all, aren't we the fastest army?

Boarding Ramps +15 points

Don't see the point of this, but could be OK for haywire wyches, I'd rather lance the vehicle.

This is OK if you're going against horde, but isn't the disintegrator kind of a better deal?

Stabilizers +15 points

YES YES YES, awesome

Ravager Options:

Assault Refit +5 points

Falcon ripoff, but still okay

Impaling Ram +20 points
    The Ravager is allowed to ram even though it is not a tank. The Impaling Ram adds +2 damage to any vehicle the Ravager rams.

I would rather lance a vehicle.

Let me know if you think any of these might be broken, as I may end up trying some of them out with my 40K club down the road (we all agree DE need a kick in the pants after our Tau player started to play well, consistently destroying the DE by turn 2 or 3).

I put comments into the quote.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

Thanks Bob. Passenger moving at Combat Speed shoot as if moving, if I remember correctly. So DLs would still have to be stationary.

And thanks Ooglatjama (just saw your post under my reply box ).

I'll update the cost for the Darkstar to match the Star Engine. Boarding Planks needs a re-cost anyway.

The Splinter Cannon "downgrade" is for those of us who'd rather just use the transport ability rather than make each paper plane a bigger threat with the lance. The Disintegrator is better, but it also costs 15 points more!

I was thinking the ability to ram, much like for the Eldar, would become our best way of dealing with vehicles that ignore the lance rule.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stabilizers = awesome.

What about just making raiders cheaper? Rhinos used to be 50 points but are now only 35, couldnt the raider get dropped to 45?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

People must realize that Ramming anything with a skimmer is a last ditch dying gasp from a Tank that has been rendered weaponless.

And if Ramming was included then so too must Tank Shock – just think about the implications of this for a moment. The Torture Amp all of a sudden finds its way onto a Ravager but was this Krovin’s intentions here?
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

My ways are mysterious indeed

Thanks dwalker. I've often thought the same thing. I'm hoping in the new 5e codex (coming a week before 6th edition, jk!), they'll have Raiders available for 35 points either without any gun or with a twin-linked splinter rifle. Then they could add the lance for +20 points or the disintegrator for +25 points. My thought here was to mediate these by adding the Splinter Cannon at +10 points.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

204 (x6)

My club seems to like these ideas, although they go pretty crazy about DIY gaming (they wanted the boarding ramps to do hostile takeovers on other vehicles!...Needless to say, I had to throw that one back. )

They also decided Warrior & Raider Squads should be able to purchase Infiltrators for +2 points/model.

I think I'm going to change the Darkstar from D6" to 3+D3". 12 points seems too expensive for the chance of getting only 1 or 2 inches and the 3+ save only 16% of the time. Gotta' make sure those points do something at least! The other option would be to keep the D6 and just make it somewhere in the 6-8 point range.

--•-My 40K projects-•--

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast