Welcome to Librarium Online!
Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!
Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!
Well, I've finally gotten to play and my first oppenant played the SMs. I had a very limited army of 1050 points and he played the same. Early on, it was good, I took out a twin-linked lascannon on his Land Raider with the combined efforts of a Hammerhead, XV88, a stealth team, and a XV8 with twin-linked fusion blasters. But after that, he defeated me at every turn. He took out my sniper drone team and had my only FW team on the run. My krrot were out of range to assist and his venerable dreadnaught killed me. The only success's I had after that was when I kiulled his Captain, made a tatical squad run, and I somehow managed to bring down a very agile Land Speeder. Thankfully, the battle didn't get finished. He managed to destroy three of my units and badly maim two others and I only damaged two and killed only one. And that Captain was hard to kill, artficer armor and an iron halo. My Hammerhead was immobilised and lost it's main gun and part of it's SMS. I don't know what went wrong. Can anyone help me out here?
run us through what you had and what your opponent had, the tactics you both used and we here at LO will be able to give you some of the best advice around. firstly i think it was a bit harsh for your friend/opponent to use a land raider in a 1000pt game, let alone your for first game. serious harshness going on there
I agree with, Starfire. A LR in a 1050 game only means your oppoent is out to win. I can see 1500, but not less.
Picking out a few things, from the original post, I will post my opinions...
1. Four units, firied at the LR, and only one WD result? Something doesn't sound right to me. I assume your stealth team had at least 1 FB, so how big a team was it?
2. You mentioned a XV88, so how many were in the team? A single broadside is Xpts which could have been used elsewhere. Just wondering how your opponent managed to kill your sniper team? They have a SFG, just like stealth suits, and being behind cover makes them just as hard to kill. Other than this, I'm not too impressed with them. For their Xpts, I was hoping for the ability to "pick out" models and a higher B skill. Instead, we get a unit which needs their NML to hit anything, and a weapon which can be purchased with the pathfinders. Again, Xpts which could have been used elsewhere.
3. I find that taking one FW team is hazardous. There just isn't a "normal" troop gun, quite like the pulse rifle, so always take a truck-load. Take at least two teams, in my opinion.
4. You mentioned your Kroot were "out of range". Can you clarify what they were up to?
5. Dang, your HH was murdered. Did it have a multi-tracker? Trade out the SMS with the 2 burst cannons. I equip mine with a TL, so all weapons can fire at different targets ( I'm gonna catch flack from Riki on this ).
6. Grats on killing his captain, and skimmers ( land speeder ) aren't surprisingly hard to kill. I bet your opponent was ticked about these two victories? ;D
7. Did you have MLs, as I don't see a mention of any ( besides the snipers ). Markers would have been a big help, since your opponent had a LR and VD ... bastard ( oops, hehe ).
Don't take my opions the "wrong way", as you did have a good force. It just needs a bit of rearranging.
Last edited by MaleOpener; July 2nd, 2009 at 14:28. Reason: typos/additions
I have a very limited selection to choose from. I fielded all the units I had, which totaled at 1050 pts. My oppenant, aka, my older brother, is notorious for "no mercy,"
but he's the one who has paid for most of my army.
Ok, the game started with me firing on his Land Raider, not even a single bit of damage. Then I used my sniper drones to fire on a squad of marines, one hit which was saved. I then moved m,y units to ambush his Land Raider the next turn. My kroot were just simply sat, I thought he would move his marines around my left flank, so I positioned them to intercept marines. His turn, he used his venerable dread to fire on my sniper team. He elminated two drones, forcing a morale check, which they failed. Then his Land Raider fired on my Hammerhead, missing one shot and stunning it with the next shot. My turn, his Land Raider had gotten into the proper ambush point and I sprung my trap. I managed to hit it with my XV8 and disabled a weapon and stunned it. After that point, he wiped out my army, he assualted my stealth squad and wiped it out. I managed to kill two marines out of that squad with my commander the next turn. The other squad of marines attacked my XV8 and killed it. My two devilfish fired on that squad and their gun drones assisted. I managed to kill two, and they fell back after a failed moral check. I managed to mark them with a marker drones's markerlight and called in a seeker missle, killing the sergant. After that, the captain and then first squad assualted my Hammerhead and managed to destroy two weapons and immobilised it. I returned fire with my remaining SMS. His speeders had deep striked into my center and I managed to kill one of the two. I fired a seeker missle at his captain and killed him with instant death. His Land Raider didn't engage me again. But his dread came around the corner and fired at my commander. He only took one wound though. I fired at the dread with my XV88, bu casused no damage. That's where the game ended as we had to go somewhere on short notice. I actually had a markerlight on my FW team and my stealth team. I also had a marker drone with my commander. I used up all of my seeker missles though. And note to all, this was my second game. The first time around, he did use his Land Raider and it wiped me out. That's all I remember.
And I forgot, I have only three stealth suits and I did use a fusion blaster with it. I also have tw devilfish.
As for your issue, it sounds like you had terrible luck with the rail guns for one thing.
-Thread Killer Bryan
Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept
Yeah, nd I forgot that for the XV88, the railguns are twin-linked. Oops. But yeah, I've got terrible luck.