Question about Res Orb - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Question about Res Orb

Hi, I'm not a Necron player and I just need some clarification on how We'll Be Back works with a Res Orb. I know that the Res Orb let's you do WBB even if damaged by weaponry which causes Instant Death or power weapons. Let's say a warrior unit w/Lord + orb are isolated without another unit of warriors within 6". Can the downed warriors still attempt WBB because the lord has an orb, or do they still need to satisfy the requirement to be within 6" of another warrior unit?

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

This is for the haters... CrownAxe's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    192 (x4)

The Rez Orb does not override the basic requirements to qualify for WBB, you still need to be withing 6" of another same model

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons have a total of 3 tools to help WBB rolls

The Monolith's portal is a reroll on the ones failed. (You didn't ask about it, but I decided to include it for completeness)
    The Tomb Spyder is the one that allows for rolls even if the whole unit dies (assuming there is a second unit of that type, so if they only have one unit of immortals, they still can't)
    The Res Orb allows WBBs against power weapons and 2xToughness weapons

There is usually confusion about which one does what.

Examples:

A unit of warriors has a Basilisk round dropped on it (twice Warrior's Toughness), anyone that dies from it can't make a WBB, no matter how many Tomb Spyders and Monolith Portals are nearby

BUT

There is a Lord with orb in range of the unit, so they can roll a WBB, despite the Insta-Death (though they still insta-die according to the double-toughness rules)

UNLESS

The entire unit died, and there are no other Warriors within 6", you may not make any WBB rolls, even with the Orb, as they have nobody to join.

UNLESS

There is a Tomb Spyder within 12" and another unit of that type anywhere on the board, the models teleport straight to that other unit, no matter the distance

To conclude, unless there is a Tomb Spyder, they can't roll if there is nobody within 6". If they get splattered, they can't come back unless there is an Orb. And if they couldn't make the first roll, they can't use the Monolith either

(Yes I talk a lot, I'm trying to explain things with redundancy to ensure that everyone gets it)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    108 (x4)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Hi, I'm not a Necron player and I just need some clarification on how We'll Be Back works with a Res Orb. I know that the Res Orb let's you do WBB even if damaged by weaponry which causes Instant Death or power weapons. Let's say a warrior unit w/Lord + orb are isolated without another unit of warriors within 6". Can the downed warriors still attempt WBB because the lord has an orb, or do they still need to satisfy the requirement to be within 6" of another warrior unit?
    The answer to your question is yes and no.
    If you mean, can warriors from that unit attempt WBB without another unit within 6" then yes, as long as one remains standing. The requirement isn't to be withing 6" of another unit of that type, it's to be within 6" of another model of that type. If you meant what the others thought you meant, that if all the warriors are downed, then no, you need another unit within 6" (barring tomb spyders)

Hope this clears it up.
    Avatar's Arena #3 let the games begin!
    The Outsider And Kae'Tyr-necron fluff

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Your answers so far have been correct but they've got me wondering- if a unit is completely wiped out (by non-Instant Death weapons for the sake of clarity) and is over 6" from the same model, can they later be teleported to the monolith to put them near another unit and allow a WBB?

EDIT: Disregard. A moment's thought reminded me that a destroyed unit is 'battlefield debris' and cannot be interacted with at all. Clearly teleporting them isn't even an option.
    Last edited by The Paint Monkey; July 2nd, 2009 at 23:08. Reason: Stoopid
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    33 (x1)

The FAQ also states that res orb etc is taken into account when the model is downed, so the lord can veil somewhere else or die and the warriors still benefit from the orb, THEN they can be teleported to get rerolls from a monolith
    W/D/L Ork Tide 22/1/14

Click here to feed me some squigs

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Thanks all for the clarification. That also brings me to some more questions regarding how WBB and orbs work.

Consider the following scenario:

2 units of warriors, both with lords each but only 1 orb and within range of each other. One unit gets assaulted by a squad of termies w/power weapons (or fists). Let's say the termies win combat by 10 and sweeps the unit with the orb lord.

1) Would the necrons killed in cc get to WBB next turn even though their unit was swept?

2) Would it make a difference if the orb lord was one of the dead or one of the swept in terms of how the orb works?

3) What if both lords had an orb each, then would the dead necrons in the unit that was swept be able to WBB next turn?

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by jy2 View Post
    Thanks all for the clarification. That also brings me to some more questions regarding how WBB and orbs work.

Consider the following scenario:

2 units of warriors, both with lords each but only 1 orb and within range of each other. One unit gets assaulted by a squad of termies w/power weapons (or fists). Let's say the termies win combat by 10 and sweeps the unit with the orb lord.

1) Would the necrons killed in cc get to WBB next turn even though their unit was swept?

2) Would it make a difference if the orb lord was one of the dead or one of the swept in terms of how the orb works?

3) What if both lords had an orb each, then would the dead necrons in the unit that was swept be able to WBB next turn?
    1) Yes, the WBB was valid at time of death.

2) Any model killed before the lord with the orb is killed gets a WBB. If the lord is killed then that removes the orb from play (until the lord returns to play). If the lord is killed by a sweeping advance then no-one else killed during the sweeping advance gets a WBB either. Sweeps are pretty nasty exclusions to WBB.

3) Yes, if they were killed in combat; No, if they were eliminated by the sweeping advance.

Hope this helps. The easiest way is to check for WBB validity at the moment a model is reduced to 0 wounds.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually, the scenario you mentioned is a huge debate. So far it is accepted that a unit swept cannot roll for WBB ever, but what about the models killed normally?(Your questions numbered 1 and 3) I believe that elsewhere on this forum there is a thread about just that. Some people believe that because they were killed in a way that normally allows for WBB, they should get it even though everyone else was killed in a No-WBB way. The other school of thought (which I believe in) cites the Official GW FAQ's emphasis on downed Necrons still being part of the squad (including moving with them when falling back, ect.), that they are still "in the unit" and should be removed with the unit during a sweep.

Unless I'm mistaken there has been no official response from GW as to which way it goes (please correct me if I'm wrong), so the best way to solve it is to work it out with the person/people you're playing.

As for your 2nd question (which is not as controversial)
    (Assuming the Necrons don't get swept, just because thats confusing again)
    Necrons check for whether or not a Res.Orb is in range at the time of death, so everyone that died before the OrbLord could roll WBB, but once the Lord bites it, the Orb stops working.

-Adalias

P.S. I don't play marines, but I think that I read somewhere that Termies can't actually make Sweeping Advances, but it might have been a different edition.
    Also it doesn't matter at all for a simple example

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Adalias View Post
    P.S. I don't play marines, but I think that I read somewhere that Termies can't actually make Sweeping Advances, but it might have been a different edition.
    Also it doesn't matter at all for a simple example
    You're right. Termies can't sweep advance. Bad example. Suppose it was another unit that dealt a lot of power weapon wounds (i.e. vanguards with power weapons, honour guards, bloodletters, banshees, rending genestealers, etc.).

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast