Shadow of the Carnifex - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Shadow of the Carnifex

My friend and I have decided to stat on a collaborative mass conversion project. Our goal; to create a nidzilla army inspired by the ps2 game, shadow of the colossus(with an unavoidable insect flavour).

We plan to do extensive conversions and scratch building in order to make our 8 MCs look like they could fit right into the game.

We already have plenty of ideas for creating the actual bodies for these beasts. The torsos of the carnifex and the hive tyrant could fit in well with some clever green stuff editions. And we have drawn up some concepts for scratch built heads and limbs that I think could work very well.

But there are some issues with this plan. First off, modeling guns. I have thought quite a bit about how we could represent various 'nid weaponry in a style that fits with the theme. In the game, some of the colossi fire projectiles from glowing horns and spikes on their body. I want to use this but I want to make sure that each weapon is destinctive of its purpose. I have Venom Cannons, Barbed Stranglers, and Deathspitters. I know that with such massive conversions, no one is going to be able to recognize the models without an explenation given. But when I tell someone that a certain conversion is a certain weapon, I want for them to be see how it could work. I can't just say that one horn represents a venom cannon while another similar horn is supposed to be a barbed strangler. That just shows lack of vision on my part.

So I wanted to ask the community for any insight as to how I could represent these weapons. Any advice is appretiated. Even a bad idea can offer insight.

My other worry is that I wont be able to tie my non-monstrous creatures into the theme. As Shadow of the colossus has no little monsters for me to draw insperation from, I am likely going to convert them into smaller versions of the colossi. But i would rather they have their own distinct look.

tl;dr version
    I want to convert tyranids to look like they came out of 'Shadow of the Colossus'. Any questions, comments or smart remarks are appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You could consider making one a spitting weapon so that not everything comes from horns. This seems a little more natural to me. Then, just to brainstorm a little, you could have one fire from a horn or spike while the other might come from a cannon-like structure on the body. Just throwing some things out to try to get this started.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

You could try to use different colours on the horns. Green for the venom cannon, red for the barbed strangler and blue for the deathspitters. Make sure to use strong primary colours so that people can tell the difference. Having the horns/spikes in different places depending on what they are will also help to show that they are different weapons.

Giving these spikes different shapes will help too. I have never actually seen any colossi so I'm not sure what you mean exactly or how far you want to go in conversions. Some images of your concepts or the colossi will help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x2)

With both the VC and the BS you could possibly mount the "secondary" arm onto them somehow. I'm not entirely sure how to work these into the theme other than going more bio than the colossi in the game are, but if I recall correctly, I'm pretty sure they are different enough to be recognizable. If you only plan to use those two and one other, you could then simply not put one on for the other weapon.

I do like your idea and will encourage you to post some pictures when you get started on this, and especially when you finish. Good luck with it.
    Tyranids & Daemons: Soul & Biomatter please.

LO Rules

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the input so far guys. I am definitely going to incorporate the different colours for the different colours for the different weapons. If i do decide to represent all the weapons with horns, I would want to give each weapon a distinctive shape and colour, likely sticking bright primary colours. Maybe a pair a small horns for the twin linked deathspitters. Maybe a Long twisted horn for the venom cannon. Need to think on the barbed strangler though.

Since i never have venom cannons and deathspitters together, it would work well if they were both horns while the barbed strangler was represented in a different way.

I do like thr idea of using a cannon-like apendage for the barbed strangler. A large medievil cannon could be incorperated into the shadow of the colossus style pretty well.

I'de love to hear anybody's thoughts on this project. Any ideas would be appreciated.

I'll certainly post lots of pictures as soon as any progress is made.

Once I have something models started, I'll likely start a project topic in the paint forum or conversion forum or wherever people do that kind of stuff.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Jupe View Post
    Need to think on the barbed strangler though.
    You could try to do a shorter but much thicker horn for the barbed strangler. You could also try to do a group of smaller horns all together, though lots of smaller horns may represent a devourer better.

+ Reply to Thread