Regarding drone controllers. - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Regarding drone controllers.

Hey, trying to clear up a question that has been running around our group for a while.

Units with drone controllers 'must' take drones. For bodyguards etc this is pretty simple, but when you have something like a broadside squad, only the squad leader can take items from the wargear chart.

Can a unit take drone controllers even if he can't take wargear, and if so, can he take drones.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Caros View Post
    Hey, trying to clear up a question that has been running around our group for a while.

Units with drone controllers 'must' take drones. For bodyguards etc this is pretty simple, but when you have something like a broadside squad, only the squad leader can take items from the wargear chart.

Can a unit take drone controllers even if he can't take wargear, and if so, can he take drones.
    To take a Drone controller and Drones you have to have access to the armoury. All XV8's have access to Drone controllers because they must choose on support system and the Drone controller is a support system. If an XV88 takes say a target lock then it cannot take a Drone controller because it has filled its one support slot and it cannot take a hard wired Drone controller because they have no access to the wargear section unless they are a team leader or Shas' Vre

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    To take a Drone controller and Drones you have to have access to the armoury. All XV8's have access to Drone controllers because they must choose on support system and the Drone controller is a support system. If an XV88 takes say a target lock then it cannot take a Drone controller because it has filled its one support slot and it cannot take a hard wired Drone controller because they have no access to the wargear section unless they are a team leader or Shas' Vre
    that use to be true in the old codex now they can have 3 support systems and no weapons if they wanted to >_> its not 2 weapons 1 support any more

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

broadsides have 1 support system slot, so yes an entire broadside team could all take drone controllers although why i dont know, as normally you want the advanced stabilisation system as this allows you to move and fire your railguns, and the team leader could still take a hard wired drone controller and 2 shield drones. hope this helps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you starfire, for the answer to my question, though in addtion to that one, i suppose I must also ask... um... why?

I don't play Tau, but I do play against one quite often. From what I've seen he plays counter to the standard layout in that he plays most often with either 3 markerlights and 3 shield, or just a straight six sheild drones. And while the squad is still vunerable to melee (To some extent) its on the far end of the board, as well as nigh invulnerable to shooting (Soaking up AP2 or higher shots with the drones, and all other stuff with the standard 2+ armor.)

Is it just due to the cost of the squad, or am I missing some glaring weakness here? =.=;

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Bassline View Post
    that use to be true in the old codex now they can have 3 support systems and no weapons if they wanted to >_> its not 2 weapons 1 support any more
    It was a typo, I missed an 8, it should have read all XV88's have access to drone controllers.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ok i got two questions for you, 1. does your friend play a static gunline list? and if so is there hardly no terrain? if so then fair do's he wont need the advanced stabilisation system as he can just sit at the back of the table and shoot everything. however if he is playing as a hybrid list or there is a lot of terrain blocking line of sight he will need the advanced stabilisation sytem so he can move and fire his railguns. even if he did this he could still take a team leader with a hard-wired drone controller allowing him up to any 2 drones and be able to move and fire.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

He does very much play a static gunline list. Terrain is dependant on our games. Some games, tons of terrain and the Broadsides take a hit in effectiveness due to line of sight. Other games (Probably more than 50%) He's got at least one viable target to shoot at each round regardless of how bad line of sight may be.

To give you an example of his two most commonly played lists (2000 Points ish. They're the memorable ones):

Commander Farsight and his giant 900 pt bodyguards
    3 Man Broadside squad. Six drones (3 shield, 3 Marker)
    One commander Attached to broadsides (1 shield, 1 marker)
    "Drop bomb" crisis suit that deepstrikes and shoots a fusion gun usually before dying (Cheap but required due to Farsight 1+ crisis teams)
    Three squads of cheap fire warriors.

or

Two Three man Crisis commander
    Two of the above broadside squads
    Scads of cheap fire warriors.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well then from what you said it sounds like he doesn't need the advanced stabilisation system, but if you quickly run through tau army lists you will see that roughly 80% of broadsides usually have advanced stabilisation systems so that they can move and fire, as the majority of us play on boards with a large amount of terrain, meaning if we dont move our broadsides there only effective in 2-3 turns of shooting, but with A.S.S you can move and fire, and believe me its usefull for hgh terrain boards. this is not to say your friend has got it wrong, on the contrary from the sound of it it seems he is doing rather well with it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I just can't understand why, some players, dump so many points into so many drones...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast