Zoanthropes: Useful as a singular? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Zoanthropes: Useful as a singular?

I am thinking of adding a Zoanthrope to my current list. As I only have one model, are they any good on their own? I often see them in lists in twos or even threes.

I was going to use it as a multi-role, primarily for synapse on my gaunts looking to hold objectives. To defend himself, and a little extra anti-tank, I was going to give him Warp Blast.

The only synapse I have in my army is really my broodlord and flyrant, and obviously those guys are going to spend their time rushing the enemy lines, so I want something to take care of my back-liners. Actually, thinking about it, would I just be better off with shooty warriors?

What do you fellow hive minds find better at performing this role?

If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    134 (x2)

well seeing you got the model you may as well use it for now, but i'd say shooty warriors should be your aim for backline synapse.

there's no reason why the zoan shouldn't do any good for the moment though - i'd go with warp field though; the model has a high profile so will be able to be gunned down despite cover saves. it'll need the protection. especially if he's got warp blast. i don't see it doing a heck of a lot, but because of its potential people will pick it out as a higher priority, than if its just mellowing out at the back protecting itself.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It already has warp field, I assume you mean't buy warp blast instead? It has the potential to knock out big tanks, something nids lack.
    Why.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

[QUOTE=potatolegs;1493816]i'd go with warp field though; /QUOTE]

???? don't they come with that?
    But yeah, i use 3 in my army list. i find that they are or were* good because they were able to kill marines with the blast XD but its also a good idea to take in some warriors

* I havn't played 5th ed yet
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

134 (x2)

it does????!!

oops :s

what about catalyst then? surely instead of just having the one zoan popping off shots, making it even more of a support device for the small gribblies would be neat?

i guess they wouldn't be going into combat though...
    Last edited by potatolegs; July 7th, 2009 at 00:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd definitely recommend taking warp blast. This will at least give you a threat source to make them think twice before ramming your objective with a transport or sending a few marines in. Shooty warriors are of course better, but for the price I think a zoanthrope with warp blast will do a fine job in the role you need. I don't see any problem with running a singular if you have the open heavy slot. Give him a try and see what you think.
    From the ashes, a fire shall be woken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I played a game this evening, and used the lonethrope with both warp blast and synapse. I was against another 'nid player, so he basically shot at the tyrant (causing a total of one wound) before taking saves against ALL 12 of the tyrant's devourer shots! Bless him, he only failed the two saves but If I had had warriors in that role instead, they would have suffered the same fate, so I still havent made my mind up. I think in 1500 points, I'll take both.
    If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A single zoanthrope can have a number of uses. One use I've found is using them in conjunction with genestealers in combat with guardsmen, against the big grouped squads unless you manage to kill the squad the genestealers will get hurt.

Throwing the zoanthrope with toxic miasma reduces the guardsmans WS to 2, which makes them hit the genestealers on a 5. Also works with carnifexes and other melee units.

Food for thought.

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

146 (x7)

Zoans are nice. You can send them up with your gaunts where they give synapse and add support with their warp blast.

With warriors I like to keep mine back in cover. If you send them up with gaunts, when the gaunts evaporate the warriors will evaporate right after. You don't have that problem with zoans. On the other hand, warriors can also dish out a very nice amount of firepower (I run mines 4x ST, DS, TS and 1x ST, BS, TS) and can kill a lot but from a range. Warriors are my emergency synapse for if the zoans get killed. Otherwise they tend to stay out of the way and kill things with their massive numbers of blasts.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

The Allmighty Chaos Boots Process's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    106 (x3)

1 is better than 0. Personally I'd take 9 if they weren't 0-1.

They are awesome and cheap only problem is finding something proper to hide them behind for the 4+ cover saves.

my 3 zoans usually create so much havoc that the word slaughter doesn't really cut it. and if the enemy focus too much fire on them my swarm will get them.
    What is Aurora Prime?
    "behold, I am the flamer, the searing one, the combustion of all spontanious flash fires, I am process" BIG RED BUTTON!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast