Guided Dire Avengers of Doom (in a Serpent) - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guided Dire Avengers of Doom (in a Serpent)

Hey all!
    Here is my problem:

Farseer with Spirit Stones, Doom and Guide
    9 Dire avengers
    1 Dire avenger exarch with aditional Catapult and Blade Storm
    Wave Serpent with twin-linked scatter laser

This unit comes at 387 points. It has great mobility, so it can pick its objective with ease: usually unit of boyz caught out of cover or my beloved deffkoptaz.
    The numbers with bladestorm:
    33 shuriken catapult shots, 4 scatter laser shots. All twin linked and rerrolling to wound means ~28 sh. and 3 laser hits and 24 wounds. This amount of fire usually renders my mobs useless, as you can imagine.

Any thoughts?

Last edited by Ramonacus; July 8th, 2009 at 13:58. Reason: add the "scatter laser" to the wave serpent
    Ork Latin Lover since 1980

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'd say shoot their transport down or perhaps use Zagstruk and assault the back of the serpent, destroy it, guys inside can't get out and die.
    "They say the Darkness consumes you. They don't say what happens after It's done."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Seth the Dark View Post
    I'd say shoot their transport down or perhaps use Zagstruk and assault the back of the serpent, destroy it, guys inside can't get out and die.
    About Zagstruk:
    I don't like using special characters. They're cool and all, but they don't fit in my Freebota Ork Gang (out of tourneys) so I'd rather use the other option.

Shoot it down:
    Great, but how to do it without having one or even two of my units shot to death?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Hmm...

Zagstrukk is terrible. I've never seen him do anything besides get his unit of stormboyz killed.

The Eldar are probably the toughest opponent for Orks. They've got skimmers, great shooting, and unlike the Tau, with guidance and doom, they can beat our Orks in close combat as well.

The best thing to use to counter them are rokkits to bring down the skimmers, and combi-skorchas to bring down the dire avengers. Lootas also work fairly well on both the skimmers and dire avengers themselves.

The trick is to make sure that you're the one who assaults/shoots him first, and not the other way around. Dire avengers can be terrifying when they attack, but they fold up pretty easily when you strike them first.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

AKM
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    63 (x2)

1. on average, 33 shots w/ BS 4 and S4, re-rolls to hit and wound will inflict, indeed, 22 wounds, plus the serpent's weapons (whic do not benefit from re-rolling to wound, BTW).
    Sure hurts.
    But if you're in cover, that goes down to 11, much more manageable.

I.e. try to have your mobz in cover at all time, either in terrain or within a KFF area.

2. Once they've shot, the avengers are basically useless, and very vulnerable to the charge.

3. Serpents are really tough, but lootas or grot kannons are very good against them, and can stun them enough to really prevent them from going after your mobz.

4. Even if that unit rips a mob apart, and assuming it's a 30-ork mob+nob-PK than then runs, you've lost 220 pts, far less than his 387pts. I.e. you can afford to lost that mob, if the avengers get charged by another (and most likely die).

Hope it helps!
    "Politics is the womb in which war develops"
    Clausewitz

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    431 (x8)

Those shots don't scratch Battlewagons and aren't nearly as effective against Trukks.

Bladestorm makes those DAs worthless for a turn afterwards, and with T3 they aren't exactly durable.

Lootas blow their skimmers away.
    Check out ==My== blog: www.bnhblog.blogspot.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the advice, mateys... I'll try to make sure I'm behind cover or inside a KFF-BW next battle

Just one more thing:
    Quote Originally Posted by AKM View Post
    plus the serpent's weapons (whic do not benefit from re-rolling to wound, BTW).
    I'm afraid they do. The Eldar Codex says:
    The Farseer (...) can target any non-vehicle unit (...) All hits caused upon that unit gain a re-roll to wound until the start of the next Eldar turn
    If the Eldar player decides to focus fire on one of your units he will cause havoc. Specially shuriken catapults, with thier good RoF and S4, are greatly enhanced.

+ Reply to Thread