Webway Portal Questions - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Formerly Prince of Excess EmoJosh's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    368 (x8)

Webway Portal Questions

I was going over the DE Codex today, and the Webway Portal caught my eye. I used to play Ulthwe Strike Force when it was Tournament legal and it was one of the most unique armies I've ever seen. This item combined with the DE's abundance of good CC units got my hopes up about being able to spiritually revive my old Strikeforce.

There are a few problems with the item though. It says you may deploy it in the shooting phase, instead of moving or shooting that turn. Now the way I read that the "holder" must have started the turn without moving, and cannot shoot.

This doesn't seem like a big problem until I remembered the rule where if you disembark from a transport, even if it was stationary, you shoot as if you had moved. Now, both of these wordings seem very fuzzy. To me that means you'd have to disembark, run to some cover, stay there for your opponents turn without being blown away, THAN you can drop it.

Considering the idea of the item is to be dropped in enemy territory to disgorge CC units, that seems nearly impossible. The odds of lasting a turn so close to the enemy without fleeing, being Pinned, being Assaulted, or being wiped out are low.

Does anyone have any concrete proof it isn't affected by the disembarking rule? The FAQ didn't provide any help, and if you can't disembark and drop it, I'd say a Webway Army would be the hardest to use in the game.

Any helpful rulings or advice?

Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.
    Like to talk Warhammer or want some advice on Armies or Tactics? Drop me a PM!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    367 (x5)

You are correct. If the vehicle moved that turn, the unit can disembark but not move any further. If the transport didnt move, the units can disembark and move as normal. The WWP really took a hit in 5th, but you could always use a Haemonculus with some grotesques as the carrier/unit. The grots will survive a little longer than the warriors/wyches for a round.
    (WH40K) Dark Eldar - (12,000pts) Sisters of Battle - (5000pts) Dark Angels -(3500pts) (WHFB) Dark Elves - (10,000pts) Beastmen - (5000pts) Empire - (3000pts) Wood Elves - (1500pts)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

The popular tactic seems to be sticking it in a large Warriors squad, but that seems like a big gamble even with 2. My hats off to anyone who plays that way, seems like one of the hardest armies around.
    Check my Blog for Battle Reports, useless ranting and more! Comments appreciated.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

The reason that it is no longer viable is TLOS. The fact you can't just hide behind a wood is very hard on us.

That said now that everything and your mother gets a cover save it does make a squad surviving two turns of withering enemy firepower more viable. I don't run them anymore however. Actually I haven't run one in 5th at all. Losing like that is just too harsh to contemplate (it almost happen a great number of times to me in 4th ed, even with blocking cover and older codexs)
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

The portal only needs to be about 20" away from the enemy frontlines for it to be effective - assuming you don't get slowed by any terrain everything in the codex will make combat fro mthat distance.

5th ed didn't gimp it with TLoS, it was more the change in missions that affected it (the WWP is still gamebreakingly powerfull).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Disembarking is part of the Movement phase and the beginning of it (page 67 BRB first sentence).

Portal activation denies the use of moving or shooting so disembarking and activation are mutually exclusive I am sorry to say.

Some believe that you may deploy a portal whilst still embarked but considering that you need base to base contact with the activating model, and that’s not on the table, I see this as impossible.

(Further the rules on page 66 allow for range and line of sight from a fire point but the portal does not use any of these conventions anyway.)

Personally I believe that TLOS did erode the use of a portal as no longer can we be just 2” into terrain and be invisible, and therefore immune from enemy shooting.

Cheers.
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

368 (x8)

Yeah I pretty much scrapped the plan. DE seem to get shafted more than any other army. *sadface*

Slave to the flesh The_Outsider's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    251 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by The Prince of Excess View Post
    Yeah I pretty much scrapped the plan. DE seem to get shafted more than any other army. *sadface*
    Perhaps, but they are still a shockingly powerfull force in 5th ed.

Just keep an eye on killpoints though.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ive always wished for this
    squad of mandrakes with drazhar the mandrake champion who was armed with webway portal
    hidden deployment behind the enemies lines. pop up and deploy webway ...

sadly this wont be so because he cant be given any extra wargear
    but if that was so we would rule the world with that strategy
    Azzarath The Soul Keeper - Archon of the Soul Stealers

"Fetch me another play thing. This one seems to have broken"
    Urien Rakarth, Master Haemonculus

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

If Drazhar was a Mandrake instead of Incubi you would not need a portal, just pop him out and let him run amok.

The Decapitator (the Mandrake Champion) can't even have plasma grendades but I know what you mean, if only...
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast