Opinions on a paint scheme - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Opinions on a paint scheme

After building most of my new Tau list I am busy working out my colour scheme. My favourite colour scheme ever was my Steel skulls Marine army scheme, specifically the Termie units and I am considering doing a very similar scheme for my Tau.
    I have attached a picture of a Fire Warrior to illustrate the colour combination. The vehicles will be mainly black with contrasting panel detailing. What do you think is it a Tau'esq colour scheme. I like it because it is dark and somehow very elite looking.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

I think you might want to use a slightly lighter shade of brown on the armor, it will give the model a little more pop and make it stand out a little more.

But overall I think it is a really nice colour combination. Also I think the Tanks would look good with the main red/maroon/whatever colour it is of the firewarrior model, as the base colour, with black detailing.

Dave
    Last edited by aussiedave; July 12th, 2009 at 00:31.
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by aussiedave View Post
    I think you might want to use a slightly lighter shade of brown on the armor, it will give the model a little more pop and make it stand out a little more.

But overall I think it is a really nice colour combination. Also I think the Tanks would look good with the main red/maroon/whatever colour it is of the firewarrior model, as the base colour, with black detailing.

Dave
    The brown is actually a subdued gold, it does not come out so well on the picture. I agree about the tank colour scheme.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Meh. It really doesnt strike me. Of course once you have a full unit with tank painted it may look really good. I do like how you arranged the colors and markings.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

I quite like it, and don't worry if your scheme is Tau-like or not. You're better off going with what you what.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Riki, tell us what colours you're planning on using to represent those which we can see in the thumbnail. At the moment, the red looks like a Scab Red and the subdued gold is a little on the brown side, as AD said.

Having the actual palette to reference might help a little more. I've used that B&C Fire Warrior painter myself and while it's very helpful it's hard to get an exact colour match to things.

As far as matching the red to the 'subdued gold' I think it works ok, but as I said above: knowing the intended base colours will really help. To get that gold colour in the Painter picture you could use Rotting Flesh with a Gryphonne Sepia wash, but maybe that isn't quite what you're looking for. The picture below is just to give you an idea of how the above suggestion works out. Please bear in mind that this model is only an experimental one, hence the yukky painting (plus the fact it was my first attempt at using the new washes)!

E.

EDIT: Urk! Just looking at that paint job makes me feel icky!
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    46 (x2)

Browns with Light Blues are quite the style today... hehe.

Though the previous statement is true, I do quite like your model, Eig.

The ORIGINAL Sniper Puss eiglepulper's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    596 (x8)

Thank you, and it's actually Scaly Green, not blue (darn flash!). However, methinks we should redirect ourselves to solving the problems of the world in general and the Simian Ninja's colour dilemma in particular before he gets irate with me for hijacking his thread. ;P

E.
    "Tau Commandment #226: Participants who use Velocity Trackers in the Tau Clay Pigeon Tournament will be disqualified"

Senior Member MorbidlyObeseMonkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x1)

This paint scheme looks very similar to the Tau army shown on pages 218-219 of the main rulebook. Is that what this paint scheme is based on?

I wasn't very impressed by the picture you showed us, but those types of pictures IMO don't represent the model very well. Maybe you could give us a picture of a model you painted? That would help a lot. The army on pages 218-219 is very good-looking, but one thing I didn't like about it was the dark guns on the fire warriors and pathfinders. You seem to have solved that problem. So based on those rulebook pictures your colour scheme looks good, but I'd like to see a picture of the model you painted.

MOM

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

Quote Originally Posted by MorbidlyObeseMonkey View Post
    This paint scheme looks very similar to the Tau army shown on pages 218-219 of the main rulebook. Is that what this paint scheme is based on?

I wasn't very impressed by the picture you showed us, but those types of pictures IMO don't represent the model very well. Maybe you could give us a picture of a model you painted? That would help a lot. The army on pages 218-219 is very good-looking, but one thing I didn't like about it was the dark guns on the fire warriors and pathfinders. You seem to have solved that problem. So based on those rulebook pictures your colour scheme looks good, but I'd like to see a picture of the model you painted.

MOM
    Thats what I am saying. A painted model will probably look a lot better.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast