Necrons vs Tau - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Necrons vs Tau

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Necrons vs Tau

So i have a questions about fighting tau.

I know my friend is planning to take 1 broadside for each of his 3 support choices.(1000 pts)
    I'm assuming but i imagine that he will place them near the back of the table, back corners and center. when we play fantasy we usually use almost no scenery, so im unsure of the cover i will have.

What strategy should i do you guys think i should use to try to bring down broadsides? I would think rushing into CC but with their armor save of 2+ im unsure. I have also considered tieing them up till my TS could get to them. i know i am going to be fighting 3 so any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    39 (x1)

flying circus? with war scyths and wraiths or flayed ones maxed squad.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My first instinct is to say Scarab swarms, they can turbo boost right up to them for Turn 2 combat, and are tough enough to survive broadside fire, but if he has firewarriors or other massed anti-infantry nearby, or some sort of templates (I'm not too familiar with Tau, not sure how many templates they can get or how easily), they may get pounded, but then again every other option (wraiths, DS flayed ones, ect) you have has the same problem

Other than that I'd say Flying circus is a good bet, but robs you of a orb in your phalanx, and can only be in one place at a time.

EDIT: Just had a thought, railguns, while having maxed out stats, only get one shot. They'll kill anything they hit, but can only get one a turn, right? As long as you don't have a Monolith, and maybe don't take tomb spyders either, the railguns can't hurt you that much. 3 big scary guns of death can only kill a max of 3 Necrons a turn, probably less...
    Last edited by Adalias; July 13th, 2009 at 04:52.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I only fight Tau pretty much, except I fought Bezerkers once and Plauge Marines once and check my score below. My Tau friend took broadsides once and I killed them with scarabs and he hasn't taken em since, haha. But now he takes 3 Hammerheads with rails every time. I just played on Saturday and his rails pretty much took out half of my army, including my Lith. But it was Bases and I held mine and turbo-boosted my few remaining destroyers into his base for the win.

Don't play into him if you can if it's an objective mission. All his weapons will wound on 2+ or 3+ especially if he gears for MEQ armies. Use your speed and jetbike cover bonuses to stay alive if you don't have physical cover. Even with a 2+ armor save, they are horrible at CC and probably won't kill you either. It keeps them from shooting, plus, he might divert other units to fight off the scarabs which reduces shots on your warriors or Lith if you're fielding one. If you have one, when your scarabs die, drop a particle whip on all the units of his that were in CC with them.

That's just my history so far and I've only lost to the Tau once in victory conditions terms, eventho my guys get dropped a lot.
    My 40k Blog: http://ondeathswings.blogspot.com/
    Necron - 1500pts (WIP) [6W/3L/2D] (Retired 'til new codex)
    Blood Angels - 1500pt (WIP) [6W/2L/2D]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    744 (x8)

I agree with the scarb idea will hold them broad sides up for the game. But it depends what you ahve if you dont have much the broad sides will kill easy (i.e. have massed warriors mainly etc), then ignoring them might work.
    "Should take you a while though because of your sloth like pace"
    Click here and watch Gedderz try and cross the road

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Depending on how many Broadsides you're facing, Scarabs can work wonderfully! Remember, a Tau unit that's tied into CC is a unit that's not raining fire down on you! My buddy plays Tau as well, and he's given me a hurting a few times with his Broadsides and Crisis Suits. Remember they have multiple wounds and if he takes a shield drone, they'll last even longer.

I've run a CC Necron force against his army with limited success. When I turbo boosted 6 wraith through terrain right towards his HQ, he pretty much crapped his pants. Saddly though, he concentrated all firepower on them and they fell before even reaching CC. Turbo boosting Scarabs will give you the best save in the game, so that'll really help when it comes to getting them close.

Personally, I'd target tooled out Crisis Suits first. If he only has 1-2 broadsides, sure it'll kill whatever it hits, but as it was said before, it's only 1 shot each. Marker lights and twin-linking will help, but at 1000 points, I don't think you'll be seeing that much. Plus, if you run a Necron CC army, that'll probably really throw him for a loop as it's not what people typically expect.

Hope this helps!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I like the idea with the scarabs, sadly my army doesn't have any, nor does it have wraiths. But DSing some flayed ones to tie them up or maybe just letting them do their think and attacking his fire warriors instead. I could accept 3 wounds a turn is wbb since i have an orb

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    160 (x3)

Scarab swarms with d/fields up on the gundam looking stuff. Hide enough 'necrons' so you dont get phased out, then depstrike in your monolith. With all his suits gone, he wont be able to kill your monolith, game is yours.

I love watching Tau players cry when I do that to them.
    Yes, I did deep-strike your sister...
    Necrons : W-8 D-3 L-7 (Sleeping in their TombFoam, waiting for a new codex)
    Chaos Forces (CSM/CD): W-42 D-19 L-28
    Apocalypse Games : W-4 D-0 L-1 (4 Titans, Brass Scorp, 3 Baneblades, 2 Bombers, 3 Fighters, and a Partrage in a Pear Tree)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Nhyx View Post
    Scarab swarms with d/fields up on the gundam looking stuff. Hide enough 'necrons' so you dont get phased out, then depstrike in your monolith. With all his suits gone, he wont be able to kill your monolith, game is yours.

I love watching Tau players cry when I do that to them.

Yeah, it's great to know that once the Railguns are tied up, the Monolith is pretty much indestructable! If my memory serves correct, Tau have weapons strength 7 and then it jumps to 10; nothing in-between. If you're going to run Flayed Ones, I would DS them instead of infultrate. The last game I played vs. Tau, I tried infultrating them to get to Crisis Suits and all he did was keep jumping out of assault range while blasting them to bits. However, I may have been targeting the wrong unit with the FO's as well. Though, at 1000 points, be very careful about playing a Monolith with regards to phase out.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

They have the Fusion Blaster which is a meltagun, but with living metal, there's no extra die. The other is a Seeker Missile at the same str, but tons of range. No str 9 weapons.
    My 40k Blog: http://ondeathswings.blogspot.com/
    Necron - 1500pts (WIP) [6W/3L/2D] (Retired 'til new codex)
    Blood Angels - 1500pt (WIP) [6W/2L/2D]

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast