How did your Tyranids fare in the 'Ard Boyz tournament? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

How did your Tyranids fare in the 'Ard Boyz tournament?

Just wondering if anyone brought their nids to the 'Ard Boyz and how did you do with them? Unfortunately, I didn't get to play in this year's 2500pt 'Ard Boyz tournament, but I did go to our local circuit to watch for a while. A lot of Marine and Guard players, some chaos (both marines and daemons), but NO tyranids! Is that because at such a high point level, nids are not as competitive? Anyways I saw some crazy cheesy armies out there. Shrike + 30 TH/SS termies, daemonzilla, Abaddon + Lash DP w/a lot of Oblits, 6 Land Raiders, 2 Valkyries/vendettas + 6 IG tanks, the Green Tide w/250+ orcs, 8 Wave Serpents + 3 Fire Prisms...it goes on. One marine w/5 Land Raiders was battling a Chaos Marine list...with 6 Land Raiders!!!

I wonder how our nids would have done against those type of armies. I normally play nidzilla in competitive settings, but when points get high enough, the opponents can easily get rid of our TMC's with their large amount of high-powered shots.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

2x Tyrant: Devs x2, +BS, +S
    Each w/ 3 guard

9x Warrior Squad: Deathspitters, Barbed Strangler, +S, Leaping, 4xScythe, 5xRend

2x Elite Fexes: Barbed Strangler, Scythe

10x Stealers: Scout, FH
    10x Stealers: Scout, Feeder

9x Spinegaunts: WoN

2x Hvy Fexes: Devs x2, +BS, +W, +T
    1x Hvy Fex: Barbed Strangler, Scythe, +w, +T

One suttle advantage to this list is that the model count is low but the wound count is very high, coupled with the genestealers not being on the board for the first one or two turns means that my turns go by very fast...and you must agree, Tyranids shine after turn 2.

Played two separate days so the list did vary:
    Opponent #1: IG mixed gunline...outflanking stealers and St 8 blasts ended them
    Opponent #2: Closer Game, got lucky when he failed 6 of 11 terminator saves...that broke his flank and allowed my MCs to close in.
    Opponent #3: hoard Orks...over 230 models. Got a minor loss, still good enough for 2nd place overall, Orks won.
    Next Day: Already placed so I didn't really care how I did...at least thats what I told myself.
    Opponent #1: Deathwing plus LRs and Bikes...made multiple tactical mistakes and I boarded him.
    Opponent #2: Bike vulkan list, getting turn one and St 8 blasts insta-killing attack bikes and pinning other units just broke him...he also allowed stealers to assault off the board edge.
    Opponent #3: Dual Lash Nurgle...All I can say is that I want a rematch, good game though, he just made to many saves. Probably came in 10 out of 24, didn't stick around to see.

MVP: My whole army functioned as a whole...pressing my opponents into the center and crushing them. The MVP goes to the Warriors though...dropping St 6 blasts and then supprising 12" assaults w/ St 5 and some rending either killed or tied up priority targets. The ork player was the only one that new to kill them right away.

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Congrats on the wins! You made it to the semi-finals in Aug. Keep us posted.

I can see why the orc player was so afraid of the warriors. 8 small blasts + 1 large blast would just annihilate a 30-boy mob in no time. I hate playing the green tide...not because they're tough, but because they take forever to move, shoot, assault and in only 2.5hrs.

I would have brought something like this if I had gone:

Tyrant - AG (WS), ES, implant, TS, 2xTLD, WF, wings
    Tyrant - AG (WS), EC, ES, implant, psychic scream, TS, 2xTLD, 3x guards
    6x Warriors - AG (WS), EC, ES, 1xBS, 5xDS, ST, TS
    2x Carnifex - ES, 2xTLD
    11x Genes - FH, FT, scuttlers
    10x Genes - FH, FT, scuttlers
    10x Genes - FH, FT, scuttlers
    10x Termagaunts - EC, WoN, fleshborer
    10x Termagaunts - EC, WoN, fleshborer
    9x Termagaunts - EC, WoN, fleshborer
    3x Zoans - synapse, psychic scream
    2x Carnifex - AD (I+WS), EC, exo, FH, chitin, 2xST, scythe tail, TM, TS, tusk

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfex215 View Post
    2x Tyrant: Devs x2, +BS, +S
    Each w/ 3 guard

9x Warrior Squad: Deathspitters, Barbed Strangler, +S, Leaping, 4xScythe, 5xRend

2x Elite Fexes: Barbed Strangler, Scythe

10x Stealers: Scout, Feeder

2x Hvy Fexes: Devs x2, +BS, +W, +T
    1x Hvy Fex: Barbed Strangler, Scythe, +w, +T

One suttle advantage to this list is that the model count is low but the wound count is very high, coupled with the genestealers not being on the board for the first one or two turns means that my turns go by very fast...and you must agree, Tyranids shine after turn 2.

Played two separate days so the list did vary:
    Opponent #1: IG mixed gunline...outflanking stealers and St 8 blasts ended them
    Opponent #2: Closer Game, got lucky when he failed 6 of 11 terminator saves...that broke his flank and allowed my MCs to close in.
    Opponent #3: hoard Orks...over 230 models. Got a minor loss, still good enough for 2nd place overall, Orks won.
    Next Day: Already placed so I didn't really care how I did...at least thats what I told myself.
    Opponent #1: Deathwing plus LRs and Bikes...made multiple tactical mistakes and I boarded him.
    Opponent #2: Bike vulkan list, getting turn one and St 8 blasts insta-killing attack bikes and pinning other units just broke him...he also allowed stealers to assault off the board edge.
    Opponent #3: Dual Lash Nurgle...All I can say is that I want a rematch, good game though, he just made to many saves. Probably came in 10 out of 24, didn't stick around to see.

MVP: My whole army functioned as a whole...pressing my opponents into the center and crushing them. The MVP goes to the Warriors though...dropping St 6 blasts and then supprising 12" assaults w/ St 5 and some rending either killed or tied up priority targets. The ork player was the only one that new to kill them right away.
    Nice list.
    Great that you won that many =)
    But what about all the vehicles? How did you manage them, was it with the stealers hitting the rear?
    I mean, usually i see lists of almost always two sniperfexes and two zoanthropes, and now i see none!? Just a few Barbed strangers and yet you win, really nice i must say!
    I think i need to skip the EC and get some more toughness for my sniperfexes.
    And how well did your dakkarant manage? was the three guards needed?

Jim.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

1: Back Armor 10 Vehicles, Outflanking genestealers and leaping warriors are vehicles worst nightmares. Even if your opponent remembers to move the vehicle you are looking at two or three penetrating hits on the charge. It is important to remember that if you stun or immobilize the vehicle on your turn it just sits there and you auto hit it during your opponents turn!

Skimmers are harder to kill if they move over 6"...I only ran into one vendeta gunship which I destroyed the turn it did not move to fire its ordinance.

Back Armor 14. I ran into 6 landraiders, the most any one list had was two. I destroyed 4 out of the six with assaulting MCs. Only once could I not do anything about a landraider for the whole game because it immobilized itself in the back of my opponents deployment zone and I just never got around to killing it.

2: Sniperfexes, Venom cannons are garbage in fifth eddition. They were the first things to get torn off of my fexes. Fourty points for a weapon that always get a -2 on the damage table? Just garbage.

Zoanthropes: I love these guys and it pains me to not be running them. However, Each one being worth an individual KP hurts them too much, plus they were worth 2KP a piece in the second senario. The extra fex made more sense and the additional 12" range was useful.

3: Extended Carapace or +T(cant remember name). In lower point games the +SV might be better but the melta/plasma spam in 'Ard Boyz cannot be ignored. The +T paid for itself in every single game. Plus, if I would get an armor save by shooting at one fex...they would just switch targets to and elite/tyrant. The only thing that I would change is switching the Dakkas from hvy to elite...the Barbed strangler fexes attracted a lot more shooting than I thought they would.

4: Tyrant and x3 guard: Were the guard nessesary? The only thing that I would have switched guard out for would have been more stealers or gaunts. Since, honestly, I want the gaunts to die so that they can come back and grad the objectives in my DZ I don't want to make the squads to big. Stealers would have been nice but since they are not on the table for the first turn or two I would rather invest the points in something that will keep what I do have on the table alive. And yes, they did their job very well. Having multiple guard made it easier for the unit to be screened by gaunts or other MCs...another dirty trick. Finnally, the second mission made HQ choices worth 5KP...so why wouldn't I want to protect them with x6 toughness six wounds (for 1KP)

Dakka Tyrants: Just brutal. They almost never got to shoot until at least turn 2 but wounding a unit/model 10 time always brings a smile to my face. And then I get even more excited when I can charge what is left.

Hope this helps.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    27 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by Sniperfex215 View Post
    1: Back Armor 10 Vehicles, Outflanking genestealers and leaping warriors are vehicles worst nightmares. Even if your opponent remembers to move the vehicle you are looking at two or three penetrating hits on the charge. It is important to remember that if you stun or immobilize the vehicle on your turn it just sits there and you auto hit it during your opponents turn!

Your not locked in combat so you do not attack the vehicle again in there turn unless its a walker

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    30 (x1)

check the rules for assulting vehicles...im at work dont know the page.

+ Reply to Thread