Thinking in a second army - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thinking in a second army

Hiya all!
    Lately I've been thinking in building up a second army to compliment my Waaagh. It's not that I'm tired of my ork arsonists, but I'd like to have an additional army with some requisites:
    • different looks from the ork freebota gang I run
    • easily conversionable models
    • focused neither on shooting or CC, but able for both
    Correct me if I'm wrong, Dark Eldar seem fine and are evil. That's a plus. Other choices I have in mind are Space Marines, loyal or chaos, but I'd rather choose a non-MEQ army.

I have a pair in questions, thought.
    First would be: are there various list options at lower points (like 1000) for the DE or are thet limited to using only one playstyle?
    Second: Seeing the Raider as a beatiful miniature it is I am interested in gunboats... how are they supposed to be used? Sorry if it is an stupid question but i've never faced DE in battle and being orky I'm not that used to skimmers.

Thanks in advance and I hope you will excuse my rusty English

Ork Latin Lover since 1980

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x4)

Dark Eldar do sound like they could suit the style of play you are looking for. They have several play styles at all point levels (check the link in my sig for an idea, its out of date, but still generally valid).

I'll give you a quick example of a 1000 point gunboat heavy force that can fight or shoot and has how to use it. First of all the list, with explanations of each unti and why they were chosen.

Troops

There are 3 types of gunboat, I'm only including 2 here as I am not a fan of the minimum shooty boat. The 2 types here are the "Assault Boat" and the "Super Boat".

Assault Boat 176 points
    10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    1 Splinter Cannon
    1 Blaster
    Sybarite, Agoniser
    Raider

The super boat comes in two parts a "Mini Sniper" squad complete with raider and a crew for the boat. The Mini Sniper squad is deployed in cover/on an objective/somewhere with good line of sight and used to shoot at armour without moving all game. The raider is placed near the crew at the start of the game and they embark on turn 1, allowing them to move 12" and shoot their cannons straight away.

Mini Sniper 105 points
    5 Dark Eldar Warriors
    1 Dark Lance
    Raider

Super Boat Crew 136 points
    10 Dark Eldar Warriors
    2 Splinter Cannons
    2 Blasters
    Sybarite, Agoniser

Altogether this comes to 417 points, if we add in a second "Assault Boat" this comes to 593 total, leaving us plenty of room to bulk out the list with other units.

HQ

My favourite HQ for a balanced list is the Dracon with retinue, its good in close combat, reasonably cheap and with 2 splinter cannons can put out a decent amount of firepower.

Dracon with Retinue 283 points
    Dracon, Punisher, Tormentor Helm, Combat Drugs, Shadowfield, Plasma Grenades
    3 Incubi
    2 Warriors, Splinter Cannons
    Plasma grenades
    Raider

With the troops section that takes us to a grand total of 869 points, which leaves us with a choice of taking a shooting unit or a close combat one to round out the list. I'm going to put int he shooting unit here, but you can easily switch this for Wyches of an equivalent points value

Heavy Support

The ravager is a very good vehicle to round out a list like this it adds a strong shooting component which is good enough to back up the assault portion of the list when it is used that way and is a terrifying weapon when coupled with the shooting variant.

Ravager 120 points
    3 Disintegrators

This leaves us with 4 spare points enough to give plasma grenades to the sybarites of each Assault Boat squad, a very valauble addition as plasma grenades allow you to strike in initiative order when you assault into cover and with I5 that can be invaluable.

Ways to use this list
    :

Assault

Deploy your Min Sniper squad somewhere safe and have your ravager throw volleys from the back of the board whilst you move the rest of your force (consisiting of 4 squads in raiders) up into combat range of the enemy firing splinter cannons as they go, assault enemy unit sin a co-ordinated fashion with one warrior squad and the HQ or two warrior squads to each enemy squad were possible. Remember to fire your blasters on the charge and to use your dark lances to take out enemy armour.

Shooting

Deploy you super boat squad and HQ on foot along with the mini sniper squad then use their raiders as mobile gun platfroms whilst using the assault boats to shoot up the oppponents flansk causing him, hoepfully to split his force to deal with them. Try to concentrate fire to take out a squad at a time. When the enemy moves within charge range charge them and have your assault boats move in to back up the charge from the rear.

Thats just an example force and tactics, but I hope that answers your questions with a dmeonstration .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank you so much, this is just what I needed to make up my mind!
    !
    Ork Latin Lover since 1980

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Your reasons are pretty similar to why I plan on building Dark Eldar once my Tau are in a good spot. From what I have heard, it takes a bit of experience to make DE work, similar to Tau, Tyranids, Necrons, Eldar...everything except marines and guard.

Gotta love the noble raider assault boat.
    Asking for suggestions without knowing what you're planning on doing is like asking a blind man what color shirt matches your eyes.

+ Reply to Thread