New and had a paint scheme question - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New and had a paint scheme question

Okay so Im new to these forums and Tau for that matter. I got a bunch of models and want to do the paint scheme in the picture. Problem is I am also not to familiar with Citadel colors. Could any of you with good eyes tell me exactly what kinds of colors these are? lol thanks in advance. BTW I'm not sure if the second picture is exactly the same scheme there seems to be a bit of brown on the joints.

Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    91 (x2)

I think it looks pretty good.
    - Never underestimate the power of human stupidity.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

these look a little like jungle fighting units. its a really cool paint scheme.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

I think the green is Dark Angel green (at least on the individual model) highlighted with Snot Green. If you're going over a black under coat (and there's no reason you shouldn't with these) then the foundation paint "Orkhide Shade" would work well instead of Dark Angel. The grey looks quite light, it could have been a base of Adeptus Battlegrey with a broad highlight of Fortress Grey (I think- I forget which is the blue/grey and which is the black/grey. You don't want blue/grey with that green).

The boots appear to be Charadon Granite and some of the cloth of the armour is Chaos Black with what I'll guess is an Adeptus Battlegrey highlight. Maybe follow that with a black wash if the highlight makes the black too grey and light.

Hope that helps!
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by The Paint Monkey View Post
    I think the green is Dark Angel green (at least on the individual model) highlighted with Snot Green. If you're going over a black under coat (and there's no reason you shouldn't with these) then the foundation paint "Orkhide Shade" would work well instead of Dark Angel. The grey looks quite light, it could have been a base of Adeptus Battlegrey with a broad highlight of Fortress Grey (I think- I forget which is the blue/grey and which is the black/grey. You don't want blue/grey with that green).

The boots appear to be Charadon Granite and some of the cloth of the armour is Chaos Black with what I'll guess is an Adeptus Battlegrey highlight. Maybe follow that with a black wash if the highlight makes the black too grey and light.

Hope that helps!
    Thats exactly what I was looking for thanks but when you say highlight do you mean like a drybrush or what? (sorry if you couldnt tell im a noob. lol)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

well, just cus u dont know some of the details doesnt make u a noob. to be honest i dont paint my models. My friend is good with this stuff and he makes a killing off doing it for lazy people such as me.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

nice work dude.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    140 (x3)

Hey there,

I would suggest posting this over in the "painting" forum. There are some very clever so and so's over there who live breathe and eat painting, and will be able to give you a good idea of what the colors are.

Dave
    I don't care what you say. I found a lightsaber in my garage and that makes me a Jedi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Dark angles green is actually really, really dark. I'd try it on the model first. Otherwise use the Ork/snto green.

Monkey of Mystery The Paint Monkey's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    743 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by snood View Post
    Thats exactly what I was looking for thanks but when you say highlight do you mean like a drybrush or what? (sorry if you couldnt tell im a noob. lol)
    Yep, drybrushing is one form of highlighting. Highlighting is basically applying a bit of a lighter colour to raised areas of the model to give it the effect of light shining naturally. Remember that you're not really painting a realistic model but rather something closer to a charicature of something 'real'. This means the highlighting is usually a bit over-emphasised. This will happen naturally but you can redouble the effect with 'extreme highlights' ie using markedly lighter shades for your highlights.

If you look a the pictures you've posted you'll see a couple where there is a lighter shade of green along the pulse rifles, along the top edges. That's the snot green highlight. You can try and do this with drybrushing but it probably won't come out too sharp. Drybrushing works best with dense textures, like hair or cloth, but fire warriors are more flat panels of armour. Painting on your thin highlights (both thin lines and thin paint) will get you your best result.

If you're still not too sure where to highlight then hold a light above the model and see where the light hits. Also look around at other people's clothes- you can see areas of shade in the folds and areas of lightness on the tops of ridges. That's what you're trying to emulate and in many ways is what figure painting is all about.
    No more NG spearmen, thanks! Now I need some pump-wagons!

+ Reply to Thread