Vampire Raider or Hunter? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which would you recommend that I buy?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vampire Raider

5 25.00%
  • Vampire Hunter

9 45.00%
  • Nightwing, Phoenix, and Void Dragon Phoenix

3 15.00%
  • Nightwing and Void Dragon Phoenix (and have money for an airbrush kit)

3 15.00%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Vampire Raider or Hunter?

I posted a thread before where I asked which non-super heavy Eldar flyer people thought was the best in order to help me figure out which one I should get. After some more thought and judging of how much money I have to spend, I have decided I may want to buy a Vampire Raider or Vampire Hunter instead. What I am wondering is are they effective or too easy to shoot down? I love the models and it would be a great centerpiece for my corsair army. But before I spend $400 (shipping included) on one of them, I want to see if anyone has used either one and what you thought about them. Alternatively, I could get all 3 normal flyers or just a Nightwing and a Void Dragon Phoenix and maybe get an airbrush kit, too.

One thing I was wondering is can the Raider transport non-jump infantry? If I recall it does not have hover mode or any other means of dropping off standard infantry, so I am not sure if you can do it. If you can transport normal infantry units, then I think it would be a cool addition to an army although I like the better firepower on the Hunter, as well.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

B4 you spend 400$ for a model. Think about this.

How much work does it take to earn 400$ and is that much work worth a model you will only use in apocalypse games?

How many apolcalypse games do you really play?

What more practical things can I use $400 for?

Are you willing to wait for a used one to pop up somewhere?

Man, you can pay my car payment, insurance and cell phone for an entire month with that kind of expendable doh, ill be your eldar flyer anyday. hahah

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I see what you're saying. The price is kinda steep. I mainly want to get one of the Vampires because I love the model itself. Even if I don't use all that it I would love to get it just as a hobbyist. Which, I guess, means it is not completely a matter of how good it is game-wise though I would prefer to get it knowing it's good as more than just a model.

I want to get some sort of ForgeWorld thing as a centerpiece to my army as well. After I buy the stuff to complete my Eldar Mech list, I don't plan on buying too much more Eldar stuff for a while. A super heavy vehicle would be a nice way to top off my collection I think. But again, the price is steep as you said. I mean, shipping will cost me around $50 on top of the $350 cost of the model. $50 shipping!

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    253 (x7)

if you must have a forgeworld model, ive seen the titans and avatar go for much less than that on ebay.
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well if your going to drop the big bucks for forgeworld stuff you might as well do a cannon ball straight into the poor house. Your better off either a) finding someone else to place an order with or b) just spending the 500 bucks (i think) needed for free shipping.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Alright, forget the price for now. I'm just wondering which Vampire you would recommend and why, and what the rules are for the Raider when it comes to dropping off normal infantry. Did the people who wrote Imperial Armour: Apocalypse forget to give it hover mode?

Monkey Pirate Greenbeard The Ex-pirate's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

No they didn't forget it. Basically you have to land it and to drop off its cargo of 30 models (if you don't mount a pulsar...then its 20). Then it can take off the next turn. It's armored about as well as swiss cheese but has titan holofields. If you go with the raider you need to make sure you secure a relatively safe drop zone if you want it to survive after the turn it lands.
    The upside in all of this is 1) It's a flyer so even with tin foil armor its tough to hit and even if they do hit it you have a good chance of passing its holofield save. 2) Its big an intimidating, the turn it lands you have a fire magnet like you wouldn't believe allowing most of your other aspect warriors and tanks to advance unmolested. 3) Fire from the heavens, flyers put the fear of god in most players, and if you mount a pulsar on it then you have a fantastic flying death mobile. 4) Transport- being able to stick say two...three squads of firedragons, harlequins... or anything else that catches your fancy into the and drop them ANYWHERE is huge especially in Apocalypse when those clumsy imperial titans are attempting to place turbo laser balls of doom on your precious models.

Downsides 1)expensive model 2) unless you play apoc regularly its going to have a lot of shelve time 3) in order to give the raider any real killing power you almost have to put a pulsar on it and sacrifice some transport power. 4) sadly...it can not transport an avatar.
    Rheagar fought nobly
    Rheagar fought valiantly
    Rheagar fought honorably
    And Rheagar died.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

253 (x7)

Dont buy one dude. Unless you live in like chicago or california where there are tons of gamers and clubs everywhere. If i lived somewhere like that, id def get some titans and flyers and engage in all forms of 40K, im still learning CITY FIGHT!!!!!
    Eldar -APOC- 6500 Points
    Chaos Daemons -Fate Crusher- 3500 Points
    Grey knights - 1000 Points

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    168 (x4)

i voted the 3 flyers option cause for me as collector 3 awesome models can be more than a very awesome model

for those aguing about price.....some of us are collectors. price is not everything, playing with the model is not everything. I got a titan and i will have probably next year my flyers . and they will all look good painted by my hand. Is a feeeling that is not always linked to sense
    Last edited by niraco; July 16th, 2009 at 17:25.
    Hight elf and Craftworld Eldar army project pics heavy: linky

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by niraco View Post
    for those aguing about price.....some of us are collectors. price is not everything, playing with the model is not everything. I got a titan and i will have probably next year my flyers . and they will all look good painted by my hand. Is a feeeling that is not always linked to sense
    This is kind of what I was trying to say before. The Vampire may very well be my favorite Eldar model. I don't care all that much if I don't get to use it very often, though I am curious how effective they are in games.

Also, where can I find the rules on landing and disembarking from a flying transport?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast