Best time to WAAAGH? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Keeper of Records and Ale King Ulrik Flamebeard's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    1372 (x8)

Best time to WAAAGH?

Ok, this is a very basic question, but I often find myself wondering. When is the best time to called the WAAGH? I have been through games where I have never used it, mainly because I find myself wanting to maximise the use of it and so feel it be a waste to call it for say two units. But a friend of mine says it should always be called on the second turn, would you agree on this or say its more situational?

Kuffy

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    222 (x7)

Same problem for me.

LO's Shadow Captain Lost Nemesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

830 (x8)

Since the whole purpose of the WAAAGH is to get into combat, giving your models that extra D6" boost, I would imagine you should use it when you need that D6" boost. No point in using it if you're already within 6", for example, though I also wouldn't necessarily recommend it if you're greater than 10" or so away.

I'd only use it on the second turn if you knew you could get an assault that second turn. I imagine it's rather useful for large masses of ground infantry, who run the first turn towards the enemy, or units in Trukks or wagons that boost up first turn, sit there the second and allow the units to disembark.

Find the time that you need a couple inches of boosting to ensure close combat, and use it then.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    511 (x8)

Agreed

I agree with Lost Nemesis. The basic answer is: when you need it.

The trick is knowing when you need it, and when you're likely to get it. If a single unit of yours is 11-12 inches away from the enemy at the beginning of the shooting phase, it probably isn't time to waaaaugh. You only get one per game, and gambling it on a chance that a single die roll will come up 5+ probably isn't a good idea unless it's late in the game, and/or victory is on the line.

I generally don't use it unless I only need a small amount of extra running, and/or when multiple units of mine might be able to reach close combat. That's a far safer gamble.
    "Any job worth doing, is worth doing with a powerklaw."
    http://www.librarium-online.com/foru.../mynameisgrax/

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    102 (x3)

If you're not sure if you can hit CC with a squad, if you fear you might be JUST outside of CC, then you call you're waaauuugh.

The sooner you use it, the sooner that you get in CC, and the sooner you start to kill everyone.
    Nurgle, the freshmaker.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    93 (x2)

Another fantastic time to use it: If you have a large unit that at present can assault one unit, but with a few more inches you could do a multicharge of 2-3 units, I would go ahead and call it. Actually, that's one of the only times I really feel I need to use it as I play a mostly mechanized list that rarely need the extra d6".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Difficult Terrain

Though I agree with the others, another thing to keep in mind is it is a nice boost to ensure that you are in range when assaulting through difficult terrain. Even if I'm pretty sure I'm within 6" of the unit I want to assault, I mite still use my Waaaagh! if I have to go through a few inches of forest, crater, etc. to get to my target.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Gorfang View Post
    Another fantastic time to use it: If you have a large unit that at present can assault one unit, but with a few more inches you could do a multicharge of 2-3 units, I would go ahead and call it. Actually, that's one of the only times I really feel I need to use it as I play a mostly mechanized list that rarely need the extra d6".
    This is the correct answer. Since you can't rely on the Waaagh to move a full 6 inches, you can never be sure it's going to work (unless you only need one extra inch). A good time to use the Waaagh is if you're pretty sure you can make a regular assault, but with just a couple more inches you could make it a brutal combined assault. That way, if your run roll fails, you still get your regular assault, but you have a chance of dragging more squads into the combat than your opponent could have anticipated.

+ Reply to Thread