How do your battles unfold? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

How do your battles unfold?

Here I am with more questions.

Backstory:
    I played a pair of my friends last night in a 1500pt match. It was Tau and Eldar v my Dark Eldar. Their two lists together were almost entirely static, with lots of fire warriors, dire avengers, and not much else. The Tau player brought two squads of battlesuits and the Eldar player brought a trio of Vypers.
    I won the match by outshooting both of them, odd as it sounds. I think I killed a grand total of a single squad of dire avengers in CC all game, and nothing else. Their problem was that they had no weapons with a range longer than 36", and most of those weapons were mounted on the battlesuits in the form of missile pods. The rest was in the form of pathfinders. I proceeded to abuse my nightshields and systematically wipe out the battlesuits and the vypers, then ending with the remaining troops.

The buildup leads to this: How do your battles unfold? This is the fourth game out of nine that I've played where things have basically come down to me playing in a standoff shooting match with an opponent (against Guard, against Eldar, one more against Chaos). For all of the Dark Eldar's vaunted CC potential, I'm finding that I can do just as much damage shooting.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Mongooseo View Post
    Here I am with more questions.

Backstory:
    I played a pair of my friends last night in a 1500pt match. It was Tau and Eldar v my Dark Eldar. Their two lists together were almost entirely static, with lots of fire warriors, dire avengers, and not much else. The Tau player brought two squads of battlesuits and the Eldar player brought a trio of Vypers.
    I won the match by outshooting both of them, odd as it sounds. I think I killed a grand total of a single squad of dire avengers in CC all game, and nothing else. Their problem was that they had no weapons with a range longer than 36", and most of those weapons were mounted on the battlesuits in the form of missile pods. The rest was in the form of pathfinders. I proceeded to abuse my nightshields and systematically wipe out the battlesuits and the vypers, then ending with the remaining troops.

The buildup leads to this: How do your battles unfold? This is the fourth game out of nine that I've played where things have basically come down to me playing in a standoff shooting match with an opponent (against Guard, against Eldar, one more against Chaos). For all of the Dark Eldar's vaunted CC potential, I'm finding that I can do just as much damage shooting.
    So you must have held back deliberately and this is something that just I cannot do.

I can’t help but use what god gave Dark Eldar, ’transports and speed’ but there was one game I played where I actually out shot IG but only due to the fact that his tanks were destroyed before hand.

You may do just as much damage shooting but how do you counter theirs in return – the classical method is to tie your opponent up in combat but I take it that you just about avoided this entirely!

Didn’t your opponent try to close the range when they figured out what Nightshields are all about?
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    35 (x1)

They probably didn't want to move and be unable to fire their heavies.

But a hammerhead with a railgun would have ripped you a new one.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    44 (x2)

When they started moving forwards, they were hampered by their lack of mobility (meaning transports and things that can actually move faster than infantry aside from the vypers and the battlesuits).

It's been the same way almost every game I've played: If I can neutralize my opponent's long range firepower, then I use mobility to kill it and follow with the rest of his army, mostly through shooting. If I can't neutralize it, then I end up closing to CC range.
    Is this viable, or does it just work where I play?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Nope, I definitely play a very similar game, especially against mechanised armies. Knocking out the couple Predators or Leman Russes makes Rhinos and Chimeras look like a joke as they try to catch up. Plus, Ravagers are just hell against any footslogging squad with any weapon minus an autocannon.

-Dark

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I do it similarly. Basically, I set up the ravager and 2 12-man sniper squads in terrain, and begin pouring shots out onto enemy vehicles and massed troops. A raider squad keeps back and gets ready to counter and compensate for any poor shooting on my part. Jetbike squads boost forward for the turbo boost save along flanks, whilst my lone archon hides around the close terrain. I shatter their long range with the bikes' blasters, the jetbike haemys sometimes nip out to destructor large troop units or one can pin with the archangel of pain, and then when they begin to come forward my archon leaps out and engages a squad, usually wins, consolidates into cover and then pounces through their lines along with the jetbikes, in a brutal pincer. Sometimes my shooters break and die, leading to the raider squad zooming back to grab objectives, or one of the bike squads or the archon legging it in to save the day. All the while the talos slowly wanders up the field, drawing fire or being ignored. Either is good...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thw problem is we are fragile,so you have to expect the worse in order to pull the game around,personally what i do is do simple tactics i will eg:i will continue to shoot disintegrator shots into a marine squad wait until there character is on his own then shoot him with dark lances,always works.

Also it really helps if you take out all the units you know you will struggle against.

Hehe,it was great seeing my wych succubus kill the emperor's champion before he got his attacks back.
    Epic Wheen!1!1!!1

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    78 (x2)

Mongooseo I think you have hit the nail on the head. Since 5th I have won more games in the shooting phase then in the assualt phase. I have even had 2 games where my opponents never even fired a single shot at me, while it was a overwhelming win, it wasn't alot of fun...

+ Reply to Thread