Kroot combat slaves - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Kroot combat slaves

Archon Dragosani hired the large Kroot mercenary force to finish off a rival that he could not attack directly without suffering a huge backlash.

The kroot did so well that after they finished with his enemies Dragosoni decided he was not yet done with them. In short order he betrayed them, enslaved them, and force fed them their own shapers.

Now years later, after being turned over to the sucubi for "training" and being fed a steady diet of Dark Eldar blood spiked with combat drugs, the kroot have become murderous fiends who exists only to destroy Dragosani's enemies and feed on their flesh and terror.

Ok fluff aside I have pretty much decided to use kroot as wyches in my dark eldar army. I plan on putting one dark eldar sucubi in each unit to be the kroot's handlers.
    I am looking for any other conversion ideas and possible color schemes(spelling?) for the kroot that would represent them after their years at the tender mercies of the dark eldar and after a diet of mostly eldar as well.

Thanks in advance for any replys.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    26 (x3)

sounds like a good idea. from there i dont know what to say. maybe use the splinter rifles over the kroot rifles. you can use dark eldar knives over the kroot knives too.
    I am an Indestructible master of War.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    434 (x8)

I can sense KwikWag emerging from a portal as we speak.

(He has Krooteques of some repute in his army!)
    In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    225 (x6)

Quote Originally Posted by Wicky View Post
    I can sense KwikWag emerging from a portal as we speak.

(He has Krooteques of some repute in his army!)
    Dang you are good!

I do love my Krootesques and no, the idea was not my own - I borrowed it from another DE player and made my own. It was rather simple to convert into Krootesques, perhaps I will post a picture now that they are finished.

Sigh, I wish they would bring back Kroot Mercenaries for 5th edition.

Okay, appearance wasn't too hard for me to decide on, I wanted them a pale, pasty look that reflected over exposure to the warp and combat drugs. I think adding combat dispensor packs on the belt or back with tubes (wires) coming out and connecting on different parts of the bodies would be perfect for you.

Not sure about your color though, I used the foundation color of astronomican grey (a grey blue color) that turned them light blue and used bleached bone for their underside. Of course they are too light colored for the Dark Eldar so I used a wash bedab black to darken and dirty them up. For wyches, I would probably color them mercrite red and then dirty them up with either bedab black or that sepia wash. Somehow, red or orange just looks fast to me and still keep a menacing evil look to them as well.

I cut their legs so they can put into running positions. I think you will need to put them into running positions to reflect their high initiative - they're looking kind of slow if you don't.

Also, the Kroot have this plume of spines on their head and I decided that those really kept the Kroot looking like kroot so I shaved them off. I made them bald and I will admit they really looked as if the DE were messing with their DNA. I cut off the spines into one piece so perhaps you can experiement with those (like attaching them to the shoulders like wyches fins or put them on their back to make a bold change in their physical appearance.

Weapons will be interesting. I know I would use the kroot pose that has them grabbing a rifle with both hands and cut the ends off and place blades there. Making single handed blades too may require some imagination but again with all the spikes and blades you get with the dark eldar sprues you should be able to come up with something.

As for a pistol - I think I would either try to splice some DE pistols into either the ccw or mount them on their shoulder Predator style. You could always give them a laser eye that can act as a splinter pistol instead. I am not sure what bitz you have to play with but you really have to open your imagination up and just do it. For the eye laser thing I would probably use those round cylinder pieces of extra plastic you find on a new sprue (often times you got to cut them off your plastic molds).

Any other bitz like the shoulder fins off the wyches or the back pack off the incubi would look good too just to give them something recognizable as a DE item. Don't lose sight of the idea, they are kroot that are converted to the Dark Eldar ways so something needs to be recognizable as DE to sell the look.

Hope this gives you some ideas - good luck and have fun!
    "On a hunch, I melted them down and inhaled the fumes and read the dark eldar codex again, AND FOUND A BUNCH OF NEW RULES HIDDEN BEHIND THE OTHER WORDS..." [Gardeth on modelling & interpreting the DE Codex]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Archon dragosani haha...
    Does Boris or wamphyri mean anything to you?

nyway yeah good sounding fluff and idea, exactly what an archon would do to servants who proved themselves useful

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    116 (x6)

Archon dragosani haha...
    Does Boris or wamphyri mean anything to you?
    It didn't to me. So I googled it. Except I mistyped it as dragonsani. Entirely different results.
    Veni Vidi Variant
    I came, I saw, I got a different type of Leman Russ.

The spikey ones go faster.

98% of the teen population has smoked weed, the other 2% went straight to crack.

Saga of the Ages. Click it.

Rules for grenades are on page 72 of the rulebook.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the replys.

Thanks Jammer, If this conversion turns out well I am toying with replacing my dark eldar warriors and raider squads (not the gunners or pilots) with kroot as well so i should have plenty of extra rifles and knives for more conversions.

You found me out Chzl My archenemy is the Inquisitor Harry Keogh.

You know what they say Wicky, Speak of the the Devil and all...

...and that leads me to KwikKwag. Great ideas. I've always liked those cresty spines the kroot use as hair and never would of thought about removing them, but relocating them could be really good. I am definetaly going to try and mock up a predator shoulder style pistol and the combat drug dispensers should be cool. I would really like to see your krootesques, I just have to see a bald evil kroot.

I have also been tinkering around with some sort of explosive collar or bracelet so if the kroot get uppity Dragosani can just explode their heads or I think in a more cruel fashion make them lose a leg.

I like your ideas for the color scheme plus I have been thinking up a few of my own, Im gonna have to just get them modeled and then try out several styles till I find the right match. I think the tough part is gonna be trying to get them sickly pale to represent their diet and at the same time dark enough to represent the newfound evil in their souls.

Thanks again for the great ideas and when I get some models done I'll try to post them up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not strictly legal but..

what about using the warmaster cryx mind slaves as grotesques...? I like the figures from warmaster, any thoughts?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just checked out those mind slaves and they are some really nice minis. I wasn't really planning on using grotesque in my army but I'm gonna pick a box of those up and give them a shot. At 10 bucks for a box of 6 those are a steal. Thanks for the info.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    71 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by KwiKwag View Post

Sigh, I wish they would bring back Kroot Mercenaries for 5th edition.
    Slightly off topic, but I had no idea Kroot Mercs were illegal now! Is there an FAQ ruling or something that decided this?

I ask because I just made up a killer 1500 list with a unit of Kroot I'm lovingly working on.

-Dark

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast