Genestealers - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Genestealers

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Genestealers

So I haven't played my Tyranids since the old codex, but I've recently gotten back into them as we have no Nid players in my area. I was thinking about starting back up with a full genestealer army or perhaps mostly genestealers with some support. Has anyone had any success with this kind of army and if you have, what kind of support units did you use? Thanks in advance!

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    156 (x3)

I did awhile back. I built a concept list called "terror in the night: or what happens when most of your tyranid list is deployed VIA scout/deepstrike".

My list comprised of:
    2 units of spinegaunts.
    3 units of genestealers
    1 brood lord + genestealers
    1 flyrant (who can deepstrike in the latest ruleset.)
    1 unit of warriors (for the gaunts)
    1 sniperfex
    a few raveners.

It worked pretty well as a surprise list. Once deployed I chewed through my opponent's gunline pretty quickly. I had fun but noticed some of the problems with the list:

1) You need anti-armor. So that means at-least one sniper-fex.
    2) Stealers die fast to shooting.
    3) 5th edition melee rules don't favor nid assaults at all.
    4) High count stealer lists limits the number of bodies you can have on the board. (IE: high cost stealers)

I think you're largest problem will be armor. While stealers can tear armor up, they need to actually get into melee to do it. The sniperfex remains our best AT unit as it can stop the tank from moving/shooting, giving your stealers time to get into assault.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    96 (x1)

If you want stealers, take at least 3 big brood of 9-10 with extended carapace and scuttler (or a broodlord). There is also the possibility of using a stealer-only list with lictors supporting it. The idea is cool, but it is a little boring since you just have stealers...

As for support, as it was just said, you need anti-armor, MC and some cheap expendable troops.

TamCoan list is pretty good and balanced (it resembles mine). If you want a balanced army with stealers, the core list I would start with is:
    Flyrant, broodlord + retinue, 2 x stealer brood, sniperfex, 2x gaunt broods.
    The rest is what you like and find useful.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the suggestions. I might not make a full Genestealer list like I had planned on, but I'll probably use quite a few. I'll probably end up with a list very similiar to what TamCoan suggested. Another question, do spingaunts get the +1 attack for having 2 CC weapons, or do you only get that with Scything Talons still?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Only with scything talons.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I run a stealer heavy army, depending on if Im in a tournament or not depends on what else I take, my tournament list for the NC area 'Ard Boys semi-finals, has 48 stealers, mainly because once the (on average) last 5-8 out of a 12 man brood make it into CC, theres not much that can stand up to them. I used to run Gaunts in mass swarms until I seen the effectivness of 2 broods of genestealers dropping my 3 fexes and Tyrant.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

96 (x1)

Quote Originally Posted by hbomb1 View Post
    I run a stealer heavy army, depending on if Im in a tournament or not depends on what else I take, my tournament list for the NC area 'Ard Boys semi-finals, has 48 stealers, mainly because once the (on average) last 5-8 out of a 12 man brood make it into CC, theres not much that can stand up to them. I used to run Gaunts in mass swarms until I seen the effectivness of 2 broods of genestealers dropping my 3 fexes and Tyrant.
    Are you using extended carapace and scutlers on your 48 stealers?

+ Reply to Thread