Extended Carapace or Bonded Exoskeleton? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

View Poll Results: Bonded Exo or Extended Carapace (assuming you already have Reinforced Chitin)?

Voters
48. You may not vote on this poll
  • Bonded Exoskeleton

11 22.92%
  • Extended Carapace

13 27.08%
  • Neither, I like my fexes cheap and expendable.

6 12.50%
  • Both, carnies should never die!

18 37.50%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

Extended Carapace or Bonded Exoskeleton?

Ok, it's been over 2 years since this was last asked, so I'm gonna ask it again but in a poll. In any army, you have limited resources (points) to get all that you need to get. For your carnifexes, assuming you already upgraded them with reinforced chitin, which would you also get as well, Bonded Exoskeleton or Extended Carapace?

Last edited by jy2; July 31st, 2009 at 03:25.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Tyranid Warrior Fanatic Phalanx's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    146 (x7)

Generally I don't take either of those unless I'm doing a CCfex. If I'm making a CCfex then I like to have BE and RC and I skip on the EC. My reasoning is EC doesn't help against most weapons shot at my fexes (AP1 or 2 weapons) though it does help against MLs, but BE helps against MLs, plasma, powerfists, etc. I've tried running EC on a CC fex before and it didn't help in any of the games I played it in.
    40K armies: Tyranids (2001), Space Wolves (2008), Sisters of Battle (2011)
    Current Rep: 1337

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    183 (x4)

I always use extended carapace, but I never use re-enforced chitin.
    Quote of the Week (Number 3) - "It is impossible to defeat an ignorant man in argument." - William Gibbs McAdoo (1863-1941)
    Ruina's Hive - My personal Blog

jy2
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

797 (x8)

I normally try to get both EC and BE on my heavy fexes. They've both helped, though I would say EC has been slightly more useful, considering there are more weapons out there that are not AP 1/2/power weapons. EC has gotten my fexes through getting rushed by Khorne Berzerkers with 40+ attacks (though BE also helped in that respect), 30+ necrons rapid firing, a mob of 30 ork boyz, nob bikers big choppas, missile launchers, leman russ battle cannons and countless bolter rapid fire.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputation
    80 (x1)

i think both EC and bonded skeleton is vital for a carnifix in a heavy support slot. Bonded exoskeltion just makes your carnifix harder to hit i get a real kick when someone rolls a 2 for a missile laucher and gives me this strange baffled look that it didnt hurt my fix.

By having increased toughness it dulls down the effects of heavy bolters, plasma guns, even melta guns and lasguns that cant even hit, anything below strength is pretty useless against a toughness 7 creature

3+ save isnt the best save ive had my dakka tyrant mow down an avatar in two rounds of shooting

By giving your carnifix a 2+ save it makes those small arms fire weapons and rocket launchers Useless. Rocket launchers are a monstrous creatures worst nightmare because usually especially with space marines theres alot of them

in my opinion as someone has mentioned CC-fexes should be tricked out with all tyranid goodliness while support sniperfexes could be sitting pretty with just EC to ward off missiles and any small arms fire that comes it way

The only thing that noneof the upgrades can protect your carnifix is a good old fashion lascannon

but that can be stopped with a little ingenuity like a hive tyrant with tyrant guard hiding in cover letting a cc-fex get a cover save behind. Especially when there is alot of lascannons i hide my cc-fex behind my hive tyrant while both of them stomp up together and just assign all the lascannon hits to the tyrant guard or just take cover saves.

But that's how i do it i know that all tyranid player have there own schemes to get there own bio-sludge

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I agree with Phalanx on this one. T7 is awesome and makes your fex much much harder to hurt. Most things fired at a fex will most likely cut through a 2+ save just as easily as it beats 3+. And, of course, getting an extra wound is never a bad thing either.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

795 (x8)

I think extended carapace. Extended carapace is good for providing close in protection from infantry who will rap the Carnifex all over with lots of weak hits. All these hits add up and it is good to have some protection. Extended carapace alor forces an enemy to use AP2 weapons to kill it. Things like battle cannons, krak missiles and that new Guard-poison-tank become rather useless.

However I think that the reinforced chitin can be dropped. Extended carapace works best with bonded exoskeleton and reinforced chitin makes it horribly high in points. Extended carapace and bonded exoskeleton make it hard to hurt. Reinforced chitin should go with regenerate as those two make it hard to kill, more wounds and it grows it's wounds back.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i say both...but perhaps not on every carnifex...i have 2 shootafexes and a shovel tusker and i just give it to the tusker so i know he will get where i want him to get.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

neither.

If I was playing a nidzilla list and I was facing an army I knew had various heavy guns of various APs (or all AP3 and lesser) and I knew there was good terrain available, I might put EC on my sniper fexs and leave my walkrant and CC fexs without as they would be moving through terrain and gaining/giving cover saves.

Notice thats a lot of ands connected to an If.

If I was playing a nidzilla list and I was facing an Ork army, Id also consider EC.

But those are very specific scenarios where I know exactly, or have a very good idea, of what my opponant is fielding. Such battles happen, but basing an army on such battles means points are spent on upgrades unneeded in other games - and "other" is the default and common for me.
    As of Tyranid 5th Ed. codex I have the Gaunts I wanted. I did, however, loose the sniperfexs I relied upon and they were more important then the gaunts.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I voted for bonded exoskeleton. I find toughness 7 to be well worth the upgrade, especially when facing a load of strength 3 (guard and orks spring to mind). But as I've been playing lately with a boomfex and a dakkafex, I've given the former bonded exoskeleton, as he can hold his own in combat, and the dakkafex reinforced chitin as he's the one that usually soaks up the firepower.
    If Google were a woman...I would so marry her.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast