A few tactical questions! - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputation
    53 (x2)

A few tactical questions!

Okay, Starting a tau army but have some questions here. I come from a daemons background, so i'm good at manoevering my models. Unfortunately, besides soulgrinders and template weapons i've never done any shooting. So here's a few questions;

1. Can i fly a devilfish close to an enemy CC unit, drop my fire warriors behind it, rapid fire through it and then they'd have to go around to actually assault?

2. Do crisis suits make a 12" move, shoot, then move an additional 6"?

3. I've only ever seen units with 24" range rapidfire so i'm not 100% on this. Is rapid fire always 12" or half their max range?

4. What are the benefits of making a vehicle fire as if fast?

5. If a XV88 battlesuit moves through difficult terrain, can it still fire its TW railgun?

6. Can i stack marker lights on the same unit?

7. If so, if I fire at said unit, do I remove all counters or just 1?

8. What are "tau human auxilliary" My mate says they're just guardsmen but I can't find them in the codex

9. Can Krootox enter transports?

10. Are pathfinders worth using with rail rifles?

11. the stealth rule some units have, that when targetted by a pie plate it scatters an extra d6. does that apply only if that model is selected as the centre of that target or if it is anywhere under it?

12. I don't see anyone using gun dron squadrons, why is that? With a market light they're TW on BS3 and cause pinning tests and are cheap as!

13. I cannot find anywhere how shield drones work. Do they just give the model a 4+ inv save, and if its failed one of them is removed?

EDIT: 14 What are these target priority tests?

Wow, 14 questions Anyone able to help me out?

Much appretiated!

Glavas out.

Last edited by Glavas; August 4th, 2009 at 04:50.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Glavas View Post
    Okay, Starting a tau army but have some questions here. I come from a daemons background, so i'm good at manoevering my models. Unfortunately, besides soulgrinders and template weapons i've never done any shooting. So here's a few questions;

1. Can i fly a devilfish close to an enemy CC unit, drop my fire warriors behind it, rapid fire through it and then they'd have to go around to actually assault?
    Yes because you can't come with in 1inch of an enemy model while moving but the unit you shoot at would have a 4+cover save.
    Yes they do. Jet Shoot Jet
    3. I've only ever seen units with 24" range rapidfire so i'm not 100% on this. Is rapid fire always 12" or half their max range?
    It is 12 inches to fire 2 shots but you can shoot one at maximum.
    4. What are the benefits of making a vehicle fire as if fast?
    An example would be on a HH with a RG. You can move 12 then shoot your RG.
    5. If a XV88 battlesuit moves through difficult terrain, can it still fire its TW railgun?
    Only if it has the A.S.S. allowing it the slow and purposeful rule so it can move and shoot heavy weapons.
    6. Can i stack marker lights on the same unit?
    Yes
    7. If so, if I fire at said unit, do I remove all counters or just 1?
    As many as you are using but they all "disappear" after that round. IE You have 3 counters on a enemy unit and you use 2. One for +bs and one for -cover the third one if you didn't use it goes away after that turn.
    8. What are "tau human auxilliary" My mate says they're just guardsmen but I can't find them in the codex
    They are more or less a "fluff" army. You generaly have to ask the opponent consent to use em and I think you can download their codex some where.
    No
    10. Are pathfinders worth using with rail rifles?
    Imo no but if you want em go for it.
    11. the stealth rule some units have, that when targetted by a pie plate it scatters an extra d6. does that apply only if that model is selected as the centre of that target or if it is anywhere under it?
    Only if a model that is targeted has stealth will that rule apply.
    12. I don't see anyone using gun dron squadrons, why is that? With a market light they're TW on BS3 and cause pinning tests and are cheap as!
    The points and you can get a decent size one going if you take Piranha and some other units. Mainly taking a Drone squad is just giving the opponent free KP.
    13. I cannot find anywhere how shield drones work. Do they just give the model a 4+ inv save, and if its failed one of them is removed?
    Think of them as a just another separate model that doesn't shoot but absorbs shots. IE If you take 2 wounds on a unit that is a xv8 and a shield drone then you would have to put a wound on the drone and xv8.
    EDIT: 14 What are these target priority tests?
    It's a rule from 4th. You may hear some people use it in 5th to describe the cover save you receive when an enemy shoots you and there is a unit in between you and them.
    Wow, 14 questions Anyone able to help me out?

Much appretiated!

Glavas out.
    Best of luck

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tz'arken
    Yes they do. Jet Shoot Jet
    Misleading answer. The XV8 can move 6" in its movement phase, shoot and then move 6" in any direction in the assault phase. You said yes to his question which makes it sound like the suit can move 12" shoot and then move in the assault phase

It is 12 inches to fire 2 shots but you can shoot one at maximum.
    However XV8's do not count as moving when firing rapid fire weapons, so they can always shoot at maximum distance if they want.

No
    Wrong they are infantry and infantry can use the Devilfish. Nowhere does it say that Krootox are excluded from using transports. Also they count as one model as normal.

The points and you can get a decent size one going if you take Piranha and some other units. Mainly taking a Drone squad is just giving the opponent free KP.
    Why is taking a Gun Drone squadron giving the opponent free KP's. A full GD squadron is a tough nut to crack, they have JSJ (like the XV8 ) and they are the same toughness and save as a Fire Warrior. They even have better assault stats than a FW. The only reason they are not taken more is because they are a fast attack choice and cannot be used to take or hold objectives.
    Think of them as a just another separate model that doesn't shoot but absorbs shots. IE If you take 2 wounds on a unit that is a xv8 and a shield drone then you would have to put a wound on the drone and xv8.
    Also Shield Drones have the same toughness and save as the model which takes them. They follow the same rules for wound allocation as any other model. You cannot pass a wound suffered by the controlling model on to its Shield Drone (I/E if an XV8 controlled one Drone and the XV8 suffered an unsaved wound the Tau player could not pass on the XV8's wound to the Drone).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Thanks a bunch! though some more have come up

1. Do gun drones dismounted from piranha's count as a kill point?

2. Are skimmers able to ram?

3. From above, for a devilfish, on a 22 - 23 inch ram (max move? )

+2 str from 2 above 10
    + 1 for mass
    +7 for moving 21 inches (21/3 - 7)

So a total of s10 on a ram?

4. I don't know how squadrons of skimmers work. Can I shield my fire wariors from assaults with a unit of piranhas, then when they assault that unit of piranhas, next turn, can they break, fly away, shoot at the unit who assaulted them AND allow the fire warriors to rapid fire?

5. AP1 weapons add +1 to their glancing/pentrating result. Does this mean you destroy them on a roll of 6 on glancing?

6. Can marker drones attached to units of Xv88 battlesuits fire their markerlights if the unit moves as in difficult terrain?

7. Gun drones on vehicles are treated as passengers, can they fire individually from the vehicle?

8. Do dedicatd transport give up killpoints?

That's it there I think

Glavas

Por'vre T'olku Shien
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    49 (x1)

Responses will be in this color

Yes, they do in standard missions.

Any Tank can ram, be they skimmer or not

+2 str from 2 above 10
    + 1 for mass

Not quite. The Devilfish is not Fast, and so can only move 12". So, 2 for armor, one for mass, 4 for movement max makes a S7 ram, which is still quite respectable.

4. I don't know how squadrons of skimmers work. Can I shield my fire wariors from assaults with a unit of piranhas, then when they assault that unit of piranhas, next turn, can they break, fly away, shoot at the unit who assaulted them AND allow the fire warriors to rapid fire?
    Yes. vehicles that don't have a WS rating are never caught in combat, and may always just fly away the next turn. They also don't take Morale tests, so they won't "break" from combat.

5. AP1 weapons add +1 to their glancing/pentrating result. Does this mean you destroy them on a roll of 6 on glancing?
    Yes. All of the modifiers stack up. I've seen Explosion results on a Glance of 5, when it was a melta from a Tank Hunter against an open-topped vehicle

6. Can marker drones attached to units of Xv88 battlesuits fire their markerlights if the unit moves as in difficult terrain?
    No. Though they are limited to the movement of the suits, they do not themselves have Advanced Stabilization, and so do not gain the benefits

7. Gun drones on vehicles are treated as passengers, can they fire individually from the vehicle?
    I believe so, but on this I'm not sure.

8. Do dedicated transport give up killpoints?
    Same as question one, the answer is yes in standard missions.

That's it there I think

Glavas
    Hope this helps!
    I fight for the Greater Good. Too bad for you it's MY Greater Good.

Snow Forces of T'olku W/L/D : 3-4-2... I like to think I'm learning, though.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    724 (x8)

Yes

If I remember correctly (at work) any tank can ram, Piranhas cannot.

+2 str from 2 above 10
    + 1 for mass

A Devilfish's maximum move is 12", so do the math from there. Devilfish are not fast skimmers.

Vehicles cannot be locked in close combat. If the vehicle survives the combat it is allowed to move away in its next movement phase

Glancing hits are -2, so if you get a 6 on the dice you remove two and then add the one for the AP1, so the max you can get with a glancing hit is 5

Why do you keep mentioning difficult terrain. Moving through terrain does not stop you firing weapons. The only thing that stops you firing weapons when moving is if the weapon is classed as heavy. Drones under the control of an XV88 cannot move and fire even if the XV88 has A'S'S because the A'S'S is only usable by the XV88. Markerlight Drones are armed with heavy weapons so cannot move and shoot if the XV88's or the Drones move.

No they fire as part of the vehicle using their own BS.

8. Do dedicatd transport give up killpoints?
    Any unit killed by the opponent gives up a kill point so yes

EDIT: Damn you Psy you beat me to the punch (not easy to beat a Monkey Ninja to the punch)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by rikimaru View Post
    Misleading answer. The XV8 can move 6" in its movement phase, shoot and then move 6" in any direction in the assault phase. You said yes to his question which makes it sound like the suit can move 12" shoot and then move in the assault phase
    Thank you for catching that I thought he meant a total of 12.

Wrong they are infantry and infantry can use the Devilfish. Nowhere does it say that Krootox are excluded from using transports. Also they count as one model as normal.
    True

Why is taking a Gun Drone squadron giving the opponent free KP's. A full GD squadron is a tough nut to crack, they have JSJ (like the XV8 ) and they are the same toughness and save as a Fire Warrior. They even have better assault stats than a FW. The only reason they are not taken more is because they are a fast attack choice and cannot be used to take or hold objectives.
    Please don't take this the wrong way but T3 and 4+ is tough?

Also Shield Drones have the same toughness and save as the model which takes them. They follow the same rules for wound allocation as any other model. You cannot pass a wound suffered by the controlling model on to its Shield Drone (I/E if an XV8 controlled one Drone and the XV8 suffered an unsaved wound the Tau player could not pass on the XV8's wound to the Drone).
    Yes but you can put that wound to the drone and have it take the save for it.
    Last edited by Tz'arken; August 4th, 2009 at 15:32.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

724 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by Tz'arken View Post
    Please don't take this the wrong way but T3 and 4+ is tough?
    There is more to it than that. Gun Drones have much superior movement to a Fire warrior. They have the JSJ move and also can pin. A full unit of Drones takes some shifting if used properly, I know because I used one full time in 4th with my Shas'El.

Quote Originally Posted by Tz'arken View Post
    Yes but you can put that wound to the drone and have it take the save for it.
    Not sure what you mean by this. If the XV8 and the Drone unit took just one wound then yes the wound can be allocated to the Drone.
    However if the unit takes two or more wounds then each model has to take a wound each (before a second wound can be given to any model) and because each model has different stat lines each model must roll its own saves against any wound allocated to it and any unsaved wound must be removed from the model that failed the save.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There is more to it than that. Gun Drones have much superior movement to a Fire warrior. They have the JSJ move and also can pin. A full unit of Drones takes some shifting if used properly, I know because I used one full time in 4th with my Shas'El.
    Ok I will agree that they are tough because of their movement but not stats.

Not sure what you mean by this. If the XV8 and the Drone unit took just one wound then yes the wound can be allocated to the Drone.
    However if the unit takes two or more wounds then each model has to take a wound each (before a second wound can be given to any model) and because each model has different stat lines each model must roll its own saves against any wound allocated to it and any unsaved wound must be removed from the model that failed the save.
    That is all true I just thought you were implying that a wound would have to go to the xv8 if only one wound was taken since "wound suffered" and "unsaved wound" can be confusing.

You cannot pass a wound suffered by the controlling model on to its Shield Drone (I/E if an XV8 controlled one Drone and the XV8 suffered an unsaved wound the Tau player could not pass on the XV8's wound to the Drone)..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

53 (x2)

Thanks for the help

The reason I keep mentioning the difficult terrain is because in my lists I give my Xv88's ASS always, so if i move and shoot its always difficult terrain. bummer about the markers, though i do already have 15 in a 2k list so I guess more aren't needed.

Glavas grateful and out!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast