A CC Hive Tyrany? - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A CC Hive Tyrany?

I have recently gotten interested in tyranids, and am planning on fielding pure cc- except gaunts, cause they come with the hormagaunts. What would be a good cc build? Or would a broodlord be better?

For the record, I am planning on buying 3 raveners, a lictor, the battle force, an extra set of gaunts, hormagaunts and stealers, and either a hive tyrant or broodlord- no idea the point cost of that.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A monstrous creature assault army can be quite effective, have a look at this article.
    MC Assault Army

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, now I have a different question- Should I go with 2X scything talons, or one talons on crushing claws, or 2X claws? Are all of these options even legal?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

On a ht? you can't take crushing claws.
    On a carnifex 1 set of crushing claws only(per model that is) iirc
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

except in apoc.
    And unless in apoc (dual crushings are awesomely evil) you should always take two scything talons over a scy tal+crushing as the total avg attacks you get with each is (2+2 = 4) and (0+1+d6 = 4.5) respectively. This difference is IMO not worth the additional cost.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

yeah? well *gets overly defensive*

He said he was starting nids.... so.. so i didn't think of apoc... yeah...

lol, i really don't know crap about apoc so thanks from my end.

*Note, every thing above the 'lol, ...' is a joke >.<*
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

well, it appears i was momentarily confused!!! My older brother jacked my codex so, I haven't read it properly, so my mistake.

This is the list the conversation has led to though.

HQ- Hive Tyrant w/ Scything Talons (2X if possible), Toxic Sacs, Adrenal Glands WS, Flesh Hooks, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chiting (Is that worth it?)

Troops-16 Spinegaunts

Troops- 16 Hormagaunts + appropriate bonuses/no bonuses (I need your opinion on that)

Troops-8 Genestealers w/ Feeder Tendrils, Extended Carapace

Elites - 3 Warriors w/ ... I don't know what warriors can have- again opinions needed

Elites- Lictor w/ Feeder Tendrils, Adrenal Glands WS

Heavy Support- Carnifex w/ 2X scything talons, reinforced chitin, toxic sacs, spine banks, adrenal glands I, Extended Carapace, tusked, mace tail

Fast Attack- 3 Raveners w/ Scything Talons and Adrenal Glands WS??? I dont know, but this knowledge my friend gave me... he could be fooling me though.

I don't know the points, because, again, no codex as of now, and my knowledge is based on internet tacticas. Please shower me with your wisdom!!!
    Last edited by Pernose; August 5th, 2009 at 02:00.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hahaha, that sucks man... okay so your list... i have no knowlege of 5th ed and nids, but from what i hear, hormagaunts suck now >.<

So lets go through this list then shall we =D

HQ- Hive Tyrant w/ Scything Talons (2X if possible), Toxic Sacs, Adrenal Glands WS, Flesh Hooks, Extended Carapace, Reinforced Chiting (Is that worth it?)
    if you are going to have him walking, you need tyrant guard, they help it seems *i have a flyer* that, or you can take out extended carapace, and add wings and warp field. that will let him move 12" and have a 2+/6++(inv =P)... also, he can't have reinforced chitin so thats gone =P

Troops-16 Spinegaunts

Troops- 16 Hormagaunts + appropriate bonuses/no bonuses (I need your opinion on that)

People love spinegaunts, i prefer fleshgaunts =P.. and get more.
    Drop the hormagaunts, they suck now it seems. /tear try to add more guns if you can, you can say that they are so happy to eat the flesh of your opponents flesh, that they are jumping for joy =D
    Genes look fine... again, i don't really use them, i was a gaunt/warrior heavy player..

Elites- Lictor w/ Feeder Tendrils, Adrenal Glands WS
    lictor is fine, but you can't add anything to him, he allready gets feeder tendrils though

Heavy Support- Carnifex w/ 2X scything talons, reinforced chitin, toxic sacs, spine banks, adrenal glands I, Extended Carapace, tusked, mace tail
    slap on crushing claws to him i think.... not sure, again, shooting hvy for me =P

Fast Attack- 3 Raveners w/ Scything Talons and Adrenal Glands WS??? I dont know, but this knowledge my friend gave me... he could be fooling me though.
    For this part, i would have the raviners with talons and rending claws... thats really all you can take with them, or a torso weapon.

So yeah, i hope i helped with some confusion. i hope you enjoyed your stay at the nid forums, please leave your bio-mass in the bin indicated. please come again =P

Oh, and if anyone thinks this is bad info to give you.... meh i never played 5th, but from what i hear its okay >.<
    Last edited by Hive Fleet Cobra; August 5th, 2009 at 03:36.
    No sig required.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Raveners can have bio weapons as well, where 6 devourerer shots, while expensive, seem pretty kick ass.
    You can never go wrong with genestealers and split up your spingaunts as I will assume you will just want them to take objectives. Also remember that the only reason you have hormagaunts is to hold up enemy shooting until the big guys can come to the combat.

Besides that listen to Cobra above me for advice, take a look at the tactica for tyranids if you want more help, I found it awesome when I was creating my CC army.

Link to Tactica
    We rode on the winds of the rising storm, we ran to the sounds of thunder. We danced among the lighting bolts, and tore the world asunder.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    159 (x5)

Quote Originally Posted by Hive Fleet Cobra View Post
    yeah? well *gets overly defensive*

He said he was starting nids.... so.. so i didn't think of apoc... yeah...

lol, i really don't know crap about apoc so thanks from my end.

*Note, every thing above the 'lol, ...' is a joke >.<*
    Sorry dude, I didn't mean to say it like that. Just meant to state where you left off.
    Also it seems like I didn't describe myself well. In Apoc HT's still can't have Crushing claws but carni's can have 2 sets.

Anyway on to the list.
    First up, I have no idea how many points this is. It doesn't look like much, max about 1K would I be right?
    Your issue here is you have a bit of everything:
    You have some big things. Heavy weapons will shoot them (rocket lauchers, lascannons)
    You have some small fast things. Light fire can kill them and templates. (bolters)
    You have some middle things. Fast firing high str high ap will kill them (heavy bolters autocannons)

What you want is to make it a little bit less balanced and scary. Make them use the wrong weapons to shoot their targets. For this I'd say take some cheap cheap cheap fexs (even just fex + 2xscytals (97points) ) and add gaurd to your hive tyrant. These changes will make the enemy face a lot more toughness 6 wounds which are very difficult for small arms and to an extent Fast firing high str high ap weaponry to take off. The fexes will also giveyou more pointy HT a cover save (as well as your little guys).

This will mean dropping some units. At this juncture I'd recommend the ravenours as they are expensive and are a bit newted in 5th due to pile in moves and their small squad size. Plus they are more points than leaping warriors.

Warriors, if you want all CC then you want these guys with rending, scytals, leaping and flesh hooks. Anyhting else is up to you but I don't really think it is worth while. Remember that you geta 4+ cover save by standing behind your gaunts.

Homagaunts. Not that great - however in this army they fill the nieche of tying up big enemy guns. This they might do well. One thing to remember. Don't lose combat with them. You want to outnumber the enemy and be 80% sure your goingot win combat as you will be one of two things. Out of synapse and get run down and die or take many many wounds from losing combat and die.

I would take WoN on a gaunt squad. This will make sure you will at least always have a scoring unit and it will also mean you don't have to worry about losing your first rank of gaunts when using them as cover. The WoN squad you want to be only 8 strong as more than that is just wasting points.

Not a big can of lictors. Could help you however for the same reason as Homagaunts.

I also have a shooting army however as they are genearlly more effective.
    Caps-Lock, its like cruise-control for AWESOMENESS!
    Dear Game Developer,
    Rock is cheese, Paper is just fine
    Signed Scissors.

WWP and other Dark Eldar how to
    http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?t=149386

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast