Question regarding the skyray/hammerhead - Warhammer 40K Fantasy

Welcome to Librarium Online!

Join our community of 80,000+ members and take part in the number one resource for Warhammer and Warhammer 40K discussion!

Registering gives you full access to take part in discussions, upload pictures, contact other members and search everything!

Register Now!

User Tag List

+ Reply to Thread
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question regarding the skyray/hammerhead

It is my understanding that at one time the skyray box also came with the components to make a hammerhead, I was wondering if this is still true.

Please don't say it is if you aren't TOTALLY sure, I can only afford one, and whille id like a free skyray gun, I am reluctant to risk it not working out as planned hehe.

Any confirmation greatly appreciated

Also, while I appreciate there are 3049234023849302480238 rate my army list threads in existance already, there is a 500 point campaign at our local GW at the moment and being new to the game I suspect I'll get steamrolled but this is what I came up with. Any help shall be rewarded with much lurb

The rules : 0-1 elite choice, 1-6 troop choice (the squad leader of 1 must be your hq), 0-1 fast attack, 0-1 heavy support

TROOPS
    11x Fire warriors with Shas'ui - 120 pts
    (the shasui is my HQ, this seems odd but its part of the campaign rules, no proper HQ choices, squad leaders only)

10 kroot with 2 hounds - 82 pts

ELITES
    2 Crisis suit unit with shas'vre, plasma rifle + missile pods (each), hardwired target lock on shasvre and a multi-tracker each. - 134 pts

HEAVY SUPPORT
    Hammerhead with rail gun, disruption pod, burst cannons and targetting array. - 160 pts

TOTAL 496 points (i think )

lex.

2. Remove Advertisements
    Librarium-Online.com
    Advertisements

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputationReputationReputationReputationReputation
    137 (x3)

Just one comment on the Hammerhead in your list - it already comes standard with a targeting array, so you don't have to pay for it. Your build is actually 155 pts.

I would definitely also give it a vehicle multi-tracker so it can move and fire more effectively.
    -Thread Killer Bryan
    Tyranid Hive Fleet Typhoeus
    T'au Empire, Bork'an Sept

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ReputationReputation
    40 (x2)

first off yes the skyray box does still have the components for a hammerhead, and also i like the way the list i done, but zengamer is right, no need to pay for the targeting array. instead use the points to add another kroot carnivore to the squad, when it comes to kroot the more the marier.
    There are three kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who cannot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Great, thanks guys really appreciate both the confirmation and the advice. Bit of a rookie error regarding the hammerhead hehe, guess I should read the codex more clearly. Thanks a bunch

Lex

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I still wonder though, why they would choose to put a rail gun in the skyray box

Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

786 (x8)

Quote Originally Posted by lexicanium View Post
    I still wonder though, why they would choose to put a rail gun in the skyray box
    They didn't "choose" to do so at all.

The Tau vehicle sprues are as follows.

You have a couple of Devilfish sprues, which give you the chassis and everything else needed to build a Devilfish.

A hammerhead is mostly a devilfish, but with a few other components required. All those extra components (e.g., the nose piece, the burst cannon or smart missile weapons systems, etc.) come on a single additional sprue. That sprue also contains the main weapon turret (i.e., railgun or ion cannon).

The Skyray is just a hammerhead with an alternate turret. So GW created a skyray sprue that has the missile turret and pretty much nothing else. So to build a skyray you need everything required to build a hammerhead. (And to build a hammerhead, you need everything required to build a Devilfish.)

You could even build a Devilfish out of any of the three kits. Just note that only the Devilfish kit comes with gun drones as part of the kit. Of course, we get gun drones in so many other kits that this is hardly an impediment if you end up needing another devilfish. It's probably worth your while to buy a skyray anyway!
    ninjabackhand: point and click, again, really? even after i give you an military term "shock tactic" you still call it point and click.
    RIP Warhammer 40,000: 21 Sep 1998 - 24 May 2014

+ Reply to Thread